What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, one of my pet peeves as well! One day I was looking out the window of my house and a neighbor was walking her dog and her dog took a dump on my lawn. I went outside and asked the neighbor to pick up after her dog and she said "well, it will just dissolve into your lawn". I replied, "then let it dissolve into YOUR lawn". I asked again if she could clean up after her dog. She went home to get a baggie to pick it up. The whole time she acted like I had done something wrong. Geez! C'mon lady, get some manners!

Yeah, one for the good guys. I had this happen to my lawn a few times and it stinks, literally! And we are just a half block away from a large public dog park. They could have walked their dogs to the park and everyone (including the dog) would be happier. Arf, arf!

The over prescribing of amphetamines, who knew there were so many adults (24 to 70+) with ADD/ADHD. How did people survive 20 years ago?

This has always bugged me since Windows 95, and I have found no way to fix it.

If you have several applications open, and you click on the taskbar icon for the application you are currently in, it switches to another application. This happens to me at least once a day. I sit down, I want to open the Firefox window, not realizing that it is already open. I click on it, and firefox loses focus.

Very few people even see this as a problem:

How to make Windows ALWAYS give focus to taskbar applic that I click? - Windows 7 Help Forums

I know, someone had toggling in mind, but it makes no sense. Did anyone say "I want it to work so that when I click on the Firefox icon it will switch to an application other than Firefox"? No. No one ever said that.

Pet Peeve for today

Articles like this...

10 things retirees won’t tell you - MarketWatch

Another you should never retire...you can never retire article
Yeah, articles like that are peeving. But you know what really peeves me about that article? The "Click Through Page By Page" way they organize it. All about clicks and advertising. Bah, humbug.

(Hint: it doesn't work for all, but on this one it does. If you click the 'printer' icon it dumps the click-by-page and instead presents all 10 items on one page.)

The over prescribing of amphetamines, who knew there were so many adults (24 to 70+) with ADD/ADHD. How did people survive 20 years ago?

The folks I know with ADHD (who don't take meds) don't so very well now or back when they were kids.
Lots of frustration, job hopping, few long term friendships or relationships of any kind.
I often wonder if my brother had gotten treatment as a child if he would have turned out differently.
I think that when they get an actual diagnosis it is a big relief, just to know why they are so different from the folks around them.
Another thing I am grateful that I didn't have to overcome.

Then there's the over-prescribing of pills in general. When I got my vasectomy, around 2001, they gave me thirty Vicodin tablets. I used two or three. The rest are still in our safe.

I still remember this wonderful, cozy Christmas eve feeling that I got when I took a dose of those. I've heard others describe the "cozy feeling" you get from Vicodin. I'm sure a lot of people would succumb to the temptation to use the remaining 27 pills for recreation.

Then there's the over-prescribing of pills in general. When I got my vasectomy, around 2001, they gave me thirty Vicodin tablets. I used two or three. The rest are still in our safe.

I still remember this wonderful, cozy Christmas eve feeling that I got when I took a dose of those. I've heard others describe the "cozy feeling" you get from Vicodin. I'm sure a lot of people would succumb to the temptation to use the remaining 27 pills for recreation.

Al--if I mail you my address, will you send me your stash? I'm always in a lot of pain--LOL

My pet peeve, the grammer police. No one knows the poster's (dis)abilitys with English, yet they critique. Here's some language:

LA 1,0
BCT 1,*-6

Grammer police, please tell us what this does.

why, its a loop that does nothing but toggle the value of R1, assuming those don't start in column 1, if i am wrong than eye could care less, their are more efficient ways of coding a useless loop then this at least you used caps for it's opcodes, this'll run forever if its allowed too

why, its a loop that does nothing but toggle the value of R1, assuming those don't start in column 1, if i am wrong than eye could care less, their are more efficient ways of coding a useless loop then this at least you used caps for it's opcodes, this'll run forever if its allowed too

Yep, it loops quite well. You're correct R1 goes from 0 to -1 then loops back to the load address instruction. There are better ways of burning cycles but, I've seen this mistake made by multiple people, they don't understand the BCT execution, or card columns.;)

I do have to apologize to some of the poster's prior to my post. I wasn't very clear, rereading that section, my post was at an inappropriate point. My apologies. :(

Last edited:
Yep, it loops quite well. You're correct R1 goes from 0 to -1 then loops back to the load address instruction. There are better ways of burning cycles but, I've seen this mistake made by multiple people, they don't understand the BCT execution, or card columns.;)

I do have to apologize to some of the poster's prior to my post. I wasn't very clear, rereading that section, my post was at an inappropriate point. My apologies. :(

Staying within the thread: Not having the option to defer calls to the oncall person to the next normal business hours on a job by job basis when batch jobs abended in the middle of the night (Abend: That's computer work that blows up.) Some of it is pretty important and needs immediate attention, and some of it can be dealt with later, like after a full night of sleep. There are usually at least a primary and secondary person oncall for just about everything -- different people oncall for different things.

In the early 80's before the days of universal remote connectivity I got a call on a batch job that abended around 2 AM and I dutifully got up and drove 20 miles to the office to look at it, as I had done many times before and after this incident. The abend occurred on a BXLE instruction (BXLE: Branch on indeX Less than or Equal). The comment for that particular instruction: "HOPE THIS BXLE WORKS". No kidding. That instruction is rather complex and is best avoided. It had worked for a number of years before this. The problem was probably something like a table overflow. BXLE is pronounced like "bix'l".

It was some little homegrown pos (piece if sh!t) SMF report that somebody wrote when they thought the information was important. It should not have been in production, but it was.

Last edited:
Ah, one of my favorite pet peeves. There is a surprising amount of information written on this topic, but I think this sums it up nicely. Sorry for the long quote!

Bottom line up front: since we almost always use proportional type on computers, this short-term and relatively recent "rule" is outdated. Unless you are using monospaced type, you should only be using one space.

"Every modern typographer agrees on the one-space rule. It's one of the canonical rules of the profession, in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork and fashion designers know to put men's shirt buttons on the right and women's on the left. Every major style guide—including the Modern Language Association Style Manual and the Chicago Manual of Style—prescribes a single space after a period. (The Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association, used widely in the social sciences, allows for two spaces in draft manuscripts but recommends one space in published work.) Most ordinary people would know the one-space rule, too, if it weren't for a quirk of history. In the middle of the last century, a now-outmoded technology—the manual typewriter—invaded the American workplace. To accommodate that machine's shortcomings, everyone began to type wrong. And even though we no longer use typewriters, we all still type like we do. (Also see the persistence of the dreaded Caps Lock key.)

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read. Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s. First electric typewriters and then computers began to offer people ways to create text using proportional fonts. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional. (Courier is the one major exception.) Because we've all switched to modern fonts, adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."
Two spaces after a period: Why you should never, ever do it.

My bigger pet peeve is that my work's styling guide specifically says to only use one space, but I am constantly "corrected" on this. I sooooo hate to be corrected by people who don't actually know the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thank you for the clarification, makes a lot of sense.

Turn swervers.

Lefties - you know, the people waiting at the left turn signal who straddle the left turn lane into the #1 lane so much so that you can't get around them without going into the right lane, so you have to wait too.

Righties - you know, the people that swerve out into the bike lane and the right hand lane, cuz making a turn really takes up alot of space.

Christmas cards (any card) with sparkles on them and me and the floor and my table. This year almost everyone that sent me a card, it had sparkles on it. You can't get rid of these buggers. I've vacuumed the kitchen floor 3 times today and I can still see them.

Christmas cards (any card) with sparkles on them and me and the floor and my table. This year almost everyone that sent me a card, it had sparkles on it. You can't get rid of these buggers. I've vacuumed the kitchen floor 3 times today and I can still see them.

Drive DW nuts too. I'm either a tasteless slob or need a new contact lens prescription because I don't notice them.

Walt, Maybe if it was only a few cards......nah, I don't even like one, but I get lots of cards. I make an ornament for each card I send out and everyone seem to like them. I have people sending me cards that I haven't seen in years just to get an ornament. My mother, sisters and grandmother have added to my list by telling their friends to send me a card. I don't mind the making and sending but PUH-LEEZ stop with the sparkles. lol I'm already practicing the ornament for next year.

Walt, Maybe if it was only a few cards......nah, I don't even like one, but I get lots of cards. I make an ornament for each card I send out and everyone seem to like them. I have people sending me cards that I haven't seen in years just to get an ornament. My mother, sisters and grandmother have added to my list by telling their friends to send me a card. I don't mind the making and sending but PUH-LEEZ stop with the sparkles. lol I'm already practicing the ornament for next year.

This makes me not feel so bad that I send out zero cards and receive no more than 2.

This makes me not feel so bad that I send out zero cards and receive no more than 2.

You may be the smart one. I thought the homemade ornament would be a little tradition I started for family and close friends. It kind of spread by word of mouth about my ornaments. I really don't mind all the cards, it's the darn sparkles this year.

Christmas cards with a pre-printed signature and no personal message whatsoever. Why bother? :facepalm:

Christmas cards with a pre-printed signature and no personal message whatsoever. Why bother? :facepalm:
OTOH, some people have such bad handwriting, you can't read the handwritten notes or signatures. I have a received a few of these over the years and I can usually "figure it out" but sometimes it's a bit of a challenge.

OTOH, some people have such bad handwriting, you can't read the handwritten notes or signatures. I have a received a few of these over the years and I can usually "figure it out" but sometimes it's a bit of a challenge.

Hey,

Some of us can't read our own handwriting(nerve damage):mad:. I guess I'm glad nobody else can read it, if I can't. That's not the desired outcome, hence the need for pre-printing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My pet peeve:

Reading and writing of any kind are dying off. All anyone wants to do any more is watch videos. I can hardly *read* the news any more without triggering a video of some kind. And it seems like more and more people would rather watch a movie than read the book that inspired the movie in the first place.

(grumble, grumble, grrrr...)

It is a small thing but I find it so annoying when folks use RSVP when they really mean "tell me if you are coming". I get a fair number of invitations to attend various things all over the world. Obviously I am not coming to the vast majority. But most use RSVP, so I very dutifully send a note (email) stating that I will not attend. Then I get an email that says "of course you are not, we understand, why did you do this" So then I say you asked me to. And round and round we go.

It's not YOUR sidewalk, moron!

This one's a no-brainer: jackasses who think the sidewalks are part of their driveways. I walk through a couple of developments and the homes in the newer of the two (mine) all have two-vehicle garages and two- or four-vehicle driveways. Some owners use the garage for everything BUT vehicles, some owners have more vehicles than bedrooms, some owners keep a boat or other type of trailer (in violation of HOA rules), some owners seem to have company every night and some are apparently making a statement that they pay enough property tax to own the sidewalk, too.

Back home in "Wis-CAHN-sin," a lot of folks would be waking up with tickets under their wipers but, in Texas, the almighty Ford F-150 is supreme, even above the law.

I used to like J.J. Watt when he was a Badger but, as a Texan, he's a shill for every ad agency in town. And he's got all the "drug store cowboys" buying one of those stupid pickups!

So, here endeth my pet peeve. Don't EVEN get me started on dogs, especially those feral Chihuahuas that run in packs in the OTHER development (the one I walk through to count my blessings that I don't have to LIVE there).

Last edited:
TV commercials...especially this time of year. I normally use a 10 minute pause delay at the beginning of a program, go do something else and then zip through them effortlessly.

The duration of the commercial breaks seems so much longer lately. I'm barely getting enough pause built up in 15 minutes to be commercial free.

And yes, they are blasting the volume on them again.
And repeating the same ones ad nauseum.

I swear I will never eat a Hershey's Kiss again. I'm afraid I might hear bells and reach for chocolate...think Pavlov's dogs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom