Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Use of the term "diversity" as shorthand for "racial diversity". "We are striving to increase the diversity of our faculty" almost certainly means only "we want to hire more faculty members of different races than the present ones", not "we want to hire people who have professional backgrounds, educational backgrounds, and perspectives that differ from our present faculty."

And, on the same page, the use of "discriminate" as shorthand for "illegally discriminate." "We don't practice discrimination in our hiring." I sure hope you do!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I'm seeing this more and more in news articles : using the awkward and weird (but new!) "reach out" instead of the much preferable "contacted" or "asked". Example : this reporter reached out to BP to find out.....
YES. Only the other day, I received an e-mail from someone who said he had been meaning to "reach out" to me for a while now. Needless to say, he is working, and for a large corporation too.......

Old 09-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #343

Yesterday found a new one. Morbid obesity.

Yesterday we went for a birthday dinner with a couple who 'been married 60+ years. He turned 84, still drives for a limo company. His wife does private nursing, and is a few years younger.

Of all the diners in the restaurant we were the only four of normal weight. All the others, men and women were hanging off all sides of the chairs. The waitresses, barmaid, owner, all were huge in girth. Pretty gross sight. The diners were stuffing down enormous amounts of food, and drink, some had two desserts. Nerly ruined my appetite.

Each of us took home half the meal in boxes. Half of dinner was way filling.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
even worse are the people who don't use capitalization. capitalization is a huge courtesy to the reader as it visually signals the end of one sentence and the beginning of another. also it helps to emphasize certain important words. capitalizing the first letter of a sentence makes reading a lot easier for most of us. i usually don't read posts that don't capitalize.

please don't get me started on people who think there is no need for punctuation.
A friend of mine does this on a regular basis when communicating with friends via e-mail and Facebook though, to her credit, her work-related e-mails have proper capitalization. I asked her about it, and she doesn't think it's that important to have proper capitalization in personal communications. She's not a fast typer, so it could be that proper capitalization involves more effort than she wants to make while, for me, a fast typer, it's not hard at all.

I don't really know what's behind it but I think that for some of us, proper capitalization and correct grammar comes naturally. Others can still do it, but seem to have to work a bit harder.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #345
Dryer sheet wannabe

my pesty non-paying tenants constantly calling and making false promises

and in response to major tom, maybe some of us only have the use of one hand. we should bypass such trivial issues, as we never know when we maybe stricken with some handicap.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
my pesty non-paying tenants constantly calling and making false promises
Aaah yes, people who say things and don't follow through - another of my bugbears. Some people cannot bring themselves to say the truth, even when it's painfully obvious to everyone around that they are lying.

You know, I was in a good mood when I woke up, and now this thread is getting me all riled up
Old 09-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #347
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
and in response to major tom, maybe some of us only have the use of one hand. we should bypass such trivial issues, as we never know when we maybe stricken with some handicap.
But it isn't trivial, it is much harder to read something without capitalization, punctuation, and/or paragraphs to break up ideas. Those caps give visual cues that make reading easier.

Now if one truly has a handicap (how can a reader know?), sure I can decide to take some extra effort to read their writing. But they could also use the caps-lock key, it takes a bit more work (one extra key-stroke per sentence generally?), but so does reading something w/o caps.

-ERD50
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #348

I think typing something in all caps makes it harder to read. Unless you just do a word here and there for EMPHASIS. But yeah, doing all lower case and missing punctuation marks definitely makes it harder to read, as well.

Now, when I'm sending a text on my iPhone, where I have to hunt and peck, I might get a little sloppy and lazy. But on forums like this, where I'm sitting down in front of a full-sized keyboard, it's just easier to type properly. Heck, I still do the old fashioned two-spaces-after-the-period thing, which many people consider a no-no these days! However, I noticed that the software is smart enough to take out that extra space.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #349

Andre, that is a generational thing. I do the two space thing always and probably always will! Rejoice in the fact that you probably learned to type the same way I did, on a typewriter!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

My current pet peeve is corporations that send you emails despite unsubscribing multiple times from their email list.

American Academy of Pediatrics, I'm looking at YOU.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Use of the term "diversity" as shorthand for "racial diversity". "We are striving to increase the diversity of our faculty" almost certainly means only "we want to hire more faculty members of different races than the present ones", not "we want to hire people who have professional backgrounds, educational backgrounds, and perspectives that differ from our present faculty."
Totally agree with this.

Another pet peeve of mine around this is when people say a company isn't diverse because they don't have "under-represented minorities" but are conveniently ignoring all of the minorities they don't care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Of all the diners in the restaurant we were the only four of normal weight.
Go to a sushi restaurant and you won't have this problem.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #352

Here's my pet peeve of the day. I don't know in what universe the Dow dropping 9 points is "breaking news".
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 3.49.55 PM.png (70.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Heck, I still do the old fashioned two-spaces-after-the-period thing, which many people consider a no-no these days!
I learned that way too and managed to retrain myself. Yup, learned to type on a manual Underwood. Being naturally lazy it was an easy way to drop a bunch of keystrokes. DW still does it and it was irritating (dunno why, there are certainly more important things to be annoyed about) until I sneakily set the software to auto-correct two spaces followed by a period to one space. She didn't even notice.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #354

You mean to tell me that two spaces after a period is not right anymore? Of course I never learned to type (Engineer, here).
Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #355
Dryer sheet wannabe

those are the ones who could do w/out a few meals. have you been to walmart lately? one can hardly access the aisles due to the obese motorized chair users. some do not even need them, I saw a woman who got up easily and reached for an item that was above her.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Totally agree with this.

Go to a sushi restaurant and you won't have this problem.
I enjoyed sushi passing through Tokyo, had some in NY as well. Don't know of any within reasonable driving distance.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #357

Well, you'd better get over that peeve, because obesity is now the norm.

Case in point: A close relative weighs about 2.5 times what the charts say a woman of her height and build should weigh. She is very militant about rights for the obese, and believes obesity should be considered a disability under ADA. From her, I have learned of a fat-rights movement that believes things like "raise the price of all clothes so that clothes for extra-big people cost the same as regular clothes" and has created a whole new morality/set of manners, such as "you aren't actually paying for a seat on the airplane - you are paying for transportation. It is polite to let the bigger person sitting next to you share any seat-space you aren't using."

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
She is very militant about rights for the obese, and believes obesity should be considered a disability under ADA. From her, I have learned of a fat-rights movement that believes things like "raise the price of all clothes so that clothes for extra-big people cost the same as regular clothes" and has created a whole new morality/set of manners, such as "you aren't actually paying for a seat on the airplane - you are paying for transportation. It is polite to let the bigger person sitting next to you share any seat-space you aren't using."
Hoo boy. Everybody's a victim and responsible for nothing. What a world.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, you'd better get over that peeve, because obesity is now the norm.
Amethyst
I think I'll go with the Blues Brothers variant in future visits to restaurants. It is not yet midnight, I am wearing dark shades, and I am happy in oblivion.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
.... Heck, I still do the old fashioned two-spaces-after-the-period thing, which many people consider a no-no these days! However, I noticed that the software is smart enough to take out that extra space.
On my Android tablet, if you just hit space twice, it inserts a period and a space. But my peeve is if you hit "period, space, space" (as I was taught on the manual typewriter), the keyboard software will sometimes crash and along with it, the browser. And gone is the post I was typing!