Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
.........But my peeve is if you hit "period, space, space" (as I was taught on the manual typewriter), the keyboard software will sometimes crash and along with it, the browser. And gone is the post I was typing!
Computers can be petulant.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #362
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New home construction contractors who put wallpaper directly on unpainted drywall.
A number of years ago I was with a friend was touring a new home he was considering buying and the crew was putting on the finishing touches. There was a guy painting in the kitchen who was painting around a light switch plate rather than taking off the plate, painting and then putting the plate back in place. WTF? I had all I could do not to laugh my a** off and told my friend if that was indicative of the quality of the build that he should run away from the property (which he did for other reasons).

Old 09-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is my Mom's cable company, Charter Communications. In our area they are going "digital" which means that each now needs a cable box where they did not before. The problem is, each cable box is an additional $7 a month, so someone with 3 TVs is looking at a $14 increase which is a significant stealth increase as a percent.

They offered the first additional box for free for 12 months. Big deal.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #364

People who can't figure out the connection between living below one's means, saving and investing for a very long time, and someone who can be independently wealthy (without a rich uncle dropping dead) and retire on their own terms.

But that's just me. Silly people...
Old 09-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #365
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hoo boy. Everybody's a victim and responsible for nothing. What a world.
+1000! Couldn't agree more, in fact that is my pet peeve!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe I didn't already add this, but a search says no:

Restaurateurs/bars who don't know that Boston is in the USA.

They have a price list for 'Domestic' and 'Imported' beers. Typically a $1 difference, maybe more. Their 'imported' selection doesn't float my boat (Heineken, Amstel), so I order a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Then they charge me the 'imported' price.

When it wasn't too much hassle (no line behind me), I've questioned it. I got a speech as to how they pay more for Sam Adams, etc. Fine, then call it a 'premium' beer or something. You failing at geography is not my problem. This was at a chain, and the guy said corp made the price lists, he couldn't (wouldn't) do anything.

I should email corp about it.

-ERD50
Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #367
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You mean to tell me that two spaces after a period is not right anymore? Of course I never learned to type (Engineer, here).
+1
Until now I thought two spaces after a period was the correct usage. Another thing I learned from this forum.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder View Post
+1
Until now I thought two spaces after a period was the correct usage. Another thing I learned from this forum.

Ah, one of my favorite pet peeves. There is a surprising amount of information written on this topic, but I think this sums it up nicely. Sorry for the long quote!

Bottom line up front: since we almost always use proportional type on computers, this short-term and relatively recent "rule" is outdated. Unless you are using monospaced type, you should only be using one space.

"Every modern typographer agrees on the one-space rule. It's one of the canonical rules of the profession, in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork and fashion designers know to put men's shirt buttons on the right and women's on the left. Every major style guide—including the Modern Language Association Style Manual and the Chicago Manual of Style—prescribes a single space after a period. (The Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association, used widely in the social sciences, allows for two spaces in draft manuscripts but recommends one space in published work.) Most ordinary people would know the one-space rule, too, if it weren't for a quirk of history. In the middle of the last century, a now-outmoded technology—the manual typewriter—invaded the American workplace. To accommodate that machine's shortcomings, everyone began to type wrong. And even though we no longer use typewriters, we all still type like we do. (Also see the persistence of the dreaded Caps Lock key.)

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read. Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s. First electric typewriters and then computers began to offer people ways to create text using proportional fonts. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional. (Courier is the one major exception.) Because we've all switched to modern fonts, adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._invaders.html

My bigger pet peeve is that my work's styling guide specifically says to only use one space, but I am constantly "corrected" on this. I sooooo hate to be corrected by people who don't actually know the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #369
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

They have a price list for 'Domestic' and 'Imported' beers. Typically a $1 difference, maybe more. Their 'imported' selection doesn't float my boat (Heineken, Amstel), so I order a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Then they charge me the 'imported' price.

When it wasn't too much hassle (no line behind me), I've questioned it. I got a speech as to how they pay more for Sam Adams, etc. Fine, then call it a 'premium' beer or something. You failing at geography is not my problem. This was at a chain, and the guy said corp made the price lists, he couldn't (wouldn't) do anything.

I should email corp about it.

-ERD50
You are so right about people and geography, et al. A few years back, while watching a TV quiz show one of the celebs was asked a question regarding NM (in the USA) regarding the state....don't remember what the question was. She asked if mail was still delivered by pony express

If you ever watch Jesse Waters on fox you will hear the dumbest of the dumb.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #370
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s.
Code:
         Sometimes                  Other
         a                          times,
         non-propoportional         I'm 
         font                       glad
         is                         it's
         not                        available.
         a 
         good
         thing.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
You are so right about people and geography, et al. ....
I recall when I was just out of college we did spring break in Florida and met up with some local hotties and they asked us were we were from and we told them Vermont. They then asked if that was in Stowe.

At least they were easy on the eyes.........
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Code:
         Sometimes                  Other
         a                          times,
         non-propoportional         I'm 
         font                       glad
         is                         it's
         not                        available.
         a 
         good
         thing.
I sure wish this forum supported a mono-spaced font outside of that 'code box'. That box will put up scroll bars if you enter more than a small amount of text, which makes reading harder.

So there, another pet-peeve - no mono-spaced font support for replies in this forum!

-ERD50
Old 09-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Be glad you're not from New Mexico.

One Of Our 50 Is Missing - New Mexico Magazine

Quote:
“Monday I took a friend in the brokerage business to dinner in New York at the Plaza Hotel, at its Trader Vic’s. When we were through, I attempted to pay with my American Express card. After some delay, it was returned and I was informed that the hotel accepted American Express only from within the U.S. boundaries.
“My attempts to refer to the treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo were rejected coldly and with disdain. After some negotiation and a threat to call the Mexican consul general in New York City, my credit card was finally accepted, but only after my broker friend guaranteed our bill.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #374

Quote:
My sentiment, exactly.

My pet peeve of the day is posters putting words in another poster's mouth. E.g, one poster may say, one may need $2M to retire in California. My pet peever will respond with "so, one can't retire with $2M in California." Worse yet, my pet peever will read a post with glass half empty and respond with snide remark, snappy answer, etc.. This does not happen in ER.org forums often but prevalent in other sites.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course! I'm glad you finally understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvin and hobbs on being a victim.jpg (82.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #376

Restaurants that don't have beer prices on the menu. And the waitress never knows the prices either, and has to go ask the bartender.

On a positive note, these same places will often give you a free 3 ounce sampler or two of their draft beers, so you can taste them before ordering.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #377

I still don't like seeing then / than and your / you're misused.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Ah, one of my favorite pet peeves. There is a surprising amount of information written on this topic, but I think this sums it up nicely. Sorry for the long quote!

Bottom line up front: since we almost always use proportional type on computers, this short-term and relatively recent "rule" is outdated. Unless you are using monospaced type, you should only be using one space.

"Every modern typographer agrees on the one-space rule. It's one of the canonical rules of the profession, in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork and fashion designers know to put men's shirt buttons on the right and women's on the left. Every major style guide—including the Modern Language Association Style Manual and the Chicago Manual of Style—prescribes a single space after a period. (The Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association, used widely in the social sciences, allows for two spaces in draft manuscripts but recommends one space in published work.) Most ordinary people would know the one-space rule, too, if it weren't for a quirk of history. In the middle of the last century, a now-outmoded technology—the manual typewriter—invaded the American workplace. To accommodate that machine's shortcomings, everyone began to type wrong. And even though we no longer use typewriters, we all still type like we do. (Also see the persistence of the dreaded Caps Lock key.)

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read. Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s. First electric typewriters and then computers began to offer people ways to create text using proportional fonts. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional. (Courier is the one major exception.) Because we've all switched to modern fonts, adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."
Two spaces after a period: Why you should never, ever do it.

My bigger pet peeve is that my work's styling guide specifically says to only use one space, but I am constantly "corrected" on this. I sooooo hate to be corrected by people who don't actually know the rules.
Thanks for the history lesson. Before reading this, I was going to say that I use the two-space typing method too, and wonder how all these modern folk could be getting it wrong. Now I see that there's a good reason for switching to single space after a period. I have in fact noticed that single-space sentences are just as easy to read as double-space sentences. I guess there is no good reason for that extra space any more.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #379
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
This does not happen in ER.org forums often but prevalent in other sites.
So you are saying everyone in ER.org forums always put words in other posters mouths?!

(I am kidding, I just couldn't resist!)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #380
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Be glad you're not from New Mexico.

One Of Our 50 Is Missing - New Mexico Magazine
I subscribe to this magazine and spent today catching up on the summer issues. I always enjoy this section.