What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The doorbell rang and there was a guy outside the door. I wouldn't open the storm door and at least he stayed at the base of the steps. He introduced himself and said he could help people who are turning 65 (such as my DW) with making their Medicare choices.

A door-to-door salesman in today's pandemic environment? Not even wearing a mask? REALLY?!??

............A door-to-door salesman in today's pandemic environment? Not even wearing a mask? REALLY?!??
It has got to be a tough call. I can't imagine many people opening the door to a masked man.

Last edited:
I dunno. There was this one guy who had a habit of handing out silver bullets when he left. :cool:

Hold on to those silver bullets, they’ll be needed in the next new outbreak, when werewolves start to appear.

Not long ago I read something like "if you don't see a position that fits, email us and tell how you could contribute to our company." Today I tried looking it up. I thought it was the company that runs this and other forums (Social Knowledge) but apparently not. The company I want, IIRC, is an umbrella for several forums including a medical forum but Social Knowledge never had a medical forum. I couldn't find anything in my notes. :confused:

[-]OK...it may have been a medical nonprofit...I think I remember[/-]

It was Investopedia/DotDash! :dance:

Last edited:
Lately I find many titles of articles a great annoyment. IANJ (I am not a journalist) but was taught that a title should be helpful in explaining and summarizing what the article is about. Instead, many titles now appear deliberately misleading and give an impression of something that is substantially different from the content of the actual articles.

Examples abound.

It would be such a breath of fresh air for a title to be an accurate representation of the content of an article rather than click bait.

It really bugs. Personally, I just don’t like being misled.

Last edited:
Lately I find many titles of articles a great annoyment. IANJ (I am not a journalist) but was taught that a title should be helpful in explaining and summarizing what the article is about. Instead, many titles now appear deliberately misleading and give an impression of something that is substantially different from the content of the actual articles.

Examples abound.

It would be such a breath of fresh air for a title to be an accurate representation of the content of an article rather than click bait.

One good thing about misleading article titles is that they show us the prejudices of the journalist so, hopefully, we won't be fooled again.

In a newspaper, the author of the article is usually not the one who chooses the headline. The copy editor does that. Which is why the headline may not match well with the content of the article.

Examples abound.

Also annoying is the changing article titles!! Yes, I have seen the exact same article pop up off and on with a different title... since you are interested in reading about the subject you click only to find you already read it... but they get another click count on their article...

mine, today, is with some retailer's websites. rather than drive store-to-store searching for those hard to find items i've been using Target's, Wally's, Walgreen's and similar sites to see if those items are in stock. over the past month i've been punked each and every time. today, the local Target indicated that they had hand sanitizer IN STOCK. tried calling the store to confirm but they won't confirm over the phone. so i schlep to the store only to find...yup, no HS. walgreen's got me yesterday....same result, no HS. store mgr confided that their supply of HS comes in on Friday and is almost immediately snapped up. lousy timing..we're leaving for home on wednesday. Wally got me a few weeks ago. website said thermometers and masks were IN STOCK. un uh. stocker told me they hadn't had either "for weeks'. when i showed her the web page indicating both were in stock she just shrugged and apologized.

seems to me with inventories tracked by computer you'd think the web pages would be more accurate.

mine, today, is with some retailer's websites. rather than drive store-to-store searching for those hard to find items i've been using Target's, Wally's, Walgreen's and similar sites to see if those items are in stock. over the past month i've been punked each and every time. today, the local Target indicated that they had hand sanitizer IN STOCK. tried calling the store to confirm but they won't confirm over the phone. so i schlep to the store only to find...yup, no HS. walgreen's got me yesterday....same result, no HS. store mgr confided that their supply of HS comes in on Friday and is almost immediately snapped up. lousy timing..we're leaving for home on wednesday. Wally got me a few weeks ago. website said thermometers and masks were IN STOCK. un uh. stocker told me they hadn't had either "for weeks'. when i showed her the web page indicating both were in stock she just shrugged and apologized.

seems to me with inventories tracked by computer you'd think the web pages would be more accurate.

Even during normal times, the online inventory is not accurate. It has happened to me several times over the years.

Complainers.

I’m on the BOD of the HOA for our vacation home. There are ~850 property owners and the all-volunteer BOD has 15 members. We are a “working” board, taking care of everything from road maintenance to supervision of our employees (office, maintenance, lifeguards) to recreation events.

When the governor closed down PA, we closed our amenities (sport courts, beaches). Honestly they get little use in March & April because it’s still cold in the mountains. But, this week I received an email from a member demanding a refund of a portion of the annual assessment because he is unable to use the amenities. If we don’t send a refund, we can expect to hear from his attorney. He probably expects 1/12 of the assessment returned. He is getting nothing, but just for fun I did the math. When I pull out the portion of the assessment that goes to capital reserves, and the portion that is paying for service that hasn’t stopped (maintenance, security, and others) I think there’s about $4 left.

This morning was a different member complained that we are holding our monthly BOD meeting via videoconference, but he thinks there wasn’t proper notice of the change. If we don’t cease having the BOD meeting, “I will get my lawyer involved”. This from a person who I have never seen at a BOD meeting and I’ve been on the board for over six years.

Bring it, dude. Spend your money on a lawyer.
I can hardly believe that story.Wow! You know if one weighs the cost of a lawyer against what he might save, it's not even worth considering. Maybe he's insane enough to sue for emotional damages due to worrying about it. Just kidding.

But some people really take the cake.

Even during normal times, the online inventory is not accurate. It has happened to me several times over the years.

good to know going forward. of course then the question, "why bother?" (applying both to the retailer and the customer) comes to mind.

I can hardly believe that story.Wow! You know if one weighs the cost of a lawyer against what he might save, it's not even worth considering. Maybe he's insane enough to sue for emotional damages due to worrying about it. Just kidding.

But some people really take the cake.

my mom was on the board of her condo assn for many years and told similar stories. one of the reasons i never want to live in an HOA, condo, etc. shoot me first.

One good thing about misleading article titles is that they show us the prejudices of the journalist so, hopefully, we won't be fooled again.

I don’t think the journalist gets to pick the title anymore. That’s now the job of the marketing department.

I don’t think the journalist gets to pick the title anymore. That’s now the job of the marketing department.

to me, "journalist" implies someone who is curious, knows how to compose and ask actual questions that further the story and not an agenda, and will follow and report the story regardless of who or which politician or political party is involved. and that leaves 99% of the media on the outside looking in.

Not really a peeve, but rather a head shake. Had the radio on while preparing breakfast - announcer says "There's a rainfall warning in effect".

Sure...it's raining, but it's rained before; sometimes it's rained quite frequently.

What's next, a 'dark warning' after sunset?

Not really a peeve, but rather a head shake. Had the radio on while preparing breakfast - announcer says "There's a rainfall warning in effect".

Sure...it's raining, but it's rained before; sometimes it's rained quite frequently.

What's next, a 'dark warning' after sunset?

Yeah, that's a head shaker. I shake my head when I hear Florida has a cold weather warning because it's getting down to maybe 30 degrees for a morning low. Up here, we sometimes don't get 30 degrees for a high for a couple straight months. We don't get a cold warning until it's double-digits below zero. We do however get a heat warning if the heat index goes over 100 while Texas and other places get that weather often.

Yeah, that's a head shaker. I shake my head when I hear Florida has a cold weather warning because it's getting down to maybe 30 degrees for a morning low. Up here, we sometimes don't get 30 degrees for a high for a couple straight months. We don't get a cold warning until it's double-digits below zero. We do however get a heat warning if the heat index goes over 100 while Texas and other places get that weather often.

Live in S. Florida long enough and you need a cold weather warning if it's going under 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom