What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The members of the Lutheran Church across the street.
One car parked immediately to the north of my driveway, one car parked immediately to the south, and more in front of and behind them.

I can't see a damn thing in either direction when I leave.

The kicker is that there's a big parking lot to the south & to the east of the church but they refuse to use it because they're too damn lazy to walk a little further. And yes when I finally got out of my driveway safety, I drove through both lots & they were 80% empty.

Seriously, how can people be so stupid/ignorant enough to park that close to a driveway, when they see another car parked on the other side of the driveway & not realize that the person who lives there is going to have to back out into the street completely blind ?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't know if this is the same everywhere but around where I live, it is against the law to park within 5 feet of a driveway. If they are parked less than 5 feet away then call the police. If they are not, then let it go since they aren't breaking any laws.

One car parked immediately to the north of my driveway, one car parked immediately to the south, and more in front of and behind them.
Sounds like a good time to put the sprinkler on to water that grass near your driveway--be sure it doesn't get the cars wet and leave water spots. Then, maybe take the blower and get all the debris off the driveway, too.

Would it be worth talking to the pastor--maybe he could ask his flock to be more courteous. They maybe think the blocked vision isn't a problem--just say a prayer and dash out into the boulevard.

Anti-intellectualism among some young people. It is a badge of honor for some. They make no pretense of being in college just to get a job, not because they are interested in ideas, reading, scholarship of any type. I was the complete opposite in my day--it was a badge of honor to be well read, know about the arts and literature, and smart.

I find this very very sad.

Pre-printed Christmas cards with not so much as a signature, let alone a line or two of news or greeting. Why bother?

where I live, it is against the law to park within 5 feet of a driveway. If they are parked less than 5 feet away then call the police.

I checked into this, and you are right. The law is the same here.
Thanks

Sounds like a good time to put the sprinkler on to water that grass near your driveway--be sure it doesn't get the cars wet and leave water spots. Then, maybe take the blower and get all the debris off the driveway, too.

I'd try those two ideas, but the high was only 20° where I live today :)

Would it be worth talking to the pastor--maybe he could ask his flock to be more courteous. They maybe think the blocked vision isn't a problem--just say a prayer and dash out into the boulevard :LOL:

Already tried that. Was a little better for a while, but now it's as bad as it ever was. I talked to the city transportation engineer, and my Councilwoman this afternoon. Came up with some interesting ideas. Have to do something soon, it's getting absolutely ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestions

Movies in which one of the characters vomits in reaction to some upsetting news. Way too common. Do they think that makes the character more believable, more human, more likable? Really tired of the vomiting bit.

My pet peeve is after someone has not paid their mortgage in years & are finally foreclosed on the bank gives them money to vacate .$2,000 if they vacate in 30 days . What happened to eviction ?

It's probably cheaper for the bank to bribe them out rather than incur the costs and time of a court ordered eviction. If it makes you feel better their credit is scarred for a long time.

Movies in which one of the characters vomits in reaction to some upsetting news. Way too common. Do they think that makes the character more believable, more human, more likable? Really tired of the vomiting bit.

I noticed this setting in about 10 years ago. A vomit fetish. Like high-speed chase scenes were in the 70's. Every movie had to have one.

It's not even realistic. I have never seen nor heard of someone spontaneously "ejecting" upon hearing bad news. Bad food maybe or the flu, but only after several hours.

It's probably cheaper for the bank to bribe them out rather than incur the costs and time of a court ordered eviction. If it makes you feel better their credit is scarred for a long time.

I can't speak for Moemg, but it doesn't make me feel any better.
There's no way they should 'be paid' to leave something they couldn't afford, whatever the reason.

We've gotten way too soft in this country.

I can't speak for Moemg, but it doesn't make me feel any better.
There's no way they should 'be paid' to leave something they couldn't afford, whatever the reason.

We've gotten way too soft in this country.

I wasn't saying that I though it was right.... just trying to explain why it happens.

If there was an expedited process for lender to foreclose on borrowers who default on their mortgages then there would be no need for that sort of things. Similarly, some lenders have acted badly as well and judges should be kicking tail there too.

Icons in lieu of words.
I get it...we want to be "one world" and sometimes an icon can convey the idea faster (with less processing time) than a written word. But sometimes they can't.

I'm looking at you, Honda. Which button turns on my windshield defroster, and which does the back window? The buttons look the same, except one of the "windows" is rectangular and one is an opened conic section. Neither my windshield nor my back window is rectangular, and the curvy conic section doesn't match either. How about some grid wires on the button for the rear window, or better yet, the English word FRONT and REAR? Does Honda not sell enough cars in the English-speaking world to make this worthwhile?

And it is even worse with icons used in computer programs and apps. Okay, make a version with the inscrutable or too-detailed to discern icons for markets without one of the major languages, but for the rest of the world, how about some actual words (overprinted on the icon? As callouts that are all displayed when a single hotkey is pressed? The "rollover, hover, and wait to see if a descriptive label might appear" ain't sufficient.

No, I don't want to learn the icons (ie adapt to the program). As much as it might surprise the software developer, I use lots of different programs and learning the icons for each isn't always practical. Moreover, like most everyone using modern devices, I've already learned a very powerful method for expressing ideas in visible form. It is called "writing". Adapt your devices and programs to it.

I can't see a damn thing in either direction when I leave.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Heh. We took a trip to Solvang a few years ago, and while riding our bikes around a residential neighborhood, we passed a large church. This sign was on a front yard fence across the street from the church. It still gives me a chuckle.

Attachments

• 1973819_10202549715676935_2328877912861100307_o.jpg
    1973819_10202549715676935_2328877912861100307_o.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Heh. We took a trip to Solvang a few years ago, and while riding our bikes around a residential neighborhood, we passed a large church. This sign was on a front yard fence across the street from the church. It still gives me a chuckle.

Reminds me of a sign I saw at a church parking lot: Thou Shalt Not Park Here.

The person at Walmart who had to come to w*rk sick. Now I have it👎. I don't want it, DW will probably have it next.

I'm looking at you, Honda. Which button turns on my windshield defroster, and which does the back window? The buttons look the same, except one of the "windows" is rectangular and one is an opened conic section. Neither my windshield nor my back window is rectangular, and the curvy conic section doesn't match either.

Those have been the standard icons on every car I've ever driven since I started driving 18 years ago. Something tells me it's been going on much longer. If 7 billion people are used to it, I don't think it makes sense to change now. The conic section is your front windshield, the rectangle is your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

... is someone having a bad day? :confused:

Those have been the standard icons on every car I've ever driven since I started driving 18 years ago. ........

If it is any consolation, samclem, I have the same gripe. It wouldn't kill them to have words and the universal symbol, particularly for a high volume product in a country with one official language.

The conic section is your front windshield, the rectangle is your back.

On my 2013 Honda, the button with the conic section also has the word FRONT on it. The other button has the word REAR in addition to the icon.

Maybe they gave me the "for dummies" model and gave samclem the "sophisticated user" model?

The icons are pretty standard, but there are a lot more of them on newer vehicles with multiple electronic systems. I certainly faced a learning curve moving from my 1995 Honda to my 2012 Honda. However, there is a handy-dandy electronics guide that I keep in the glove compartment just in case. Icons are preferable to writing in Canada because everything would have to be in both official languages!

... is someone having a bad day? :confused:
Hey, it's a peeve, my peeve, I've nurtured it a long time and wanted it to see the light of day here:)

If 7 billion people are used to it, I don't think it makes sense to change now. The conic section is your front windshield, the rectangle is your back.
1980: "Smedley, billions of people have lifted and carried their luggage around by a handle. It has been like this for generations. Putting wheels on a suitcase is dumb, there's no reason to change now. Acme Luggage Company won't be taking your idea."
Neither my front or rear glass is or looks like a rectangle. They both look like conic surface sections. But one of them does have wires in it--coincidentally the wires controlled by the switch. How hard would it be to show those? If we're going to have an icon, it should at least be a good, accurate, clear one. (Newton would be a good example . . . groan).
If it is any consolation, samclem, I have the same gripe. It wouldn't kill them to have words and the universal symbol, particularly for a high volume product in a country with one official language.
Thanks. I guess I could use my label maker, but that's not a great answer for a rental car--or computer apps!

Last edited:
Here is a simpler dashboard. 1955 Buick

special11-jpg.3013708

..............Thanks. I guess I could use my label maker, but that's not a great answer for a rental car--or computer apps!
Yet another reason to carry a grease pencil. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom