Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #981
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At parking lots I always park away from all of the other "packs" of car near the entrance. And always closer to the exit. Makes a nice walk and a bit more exercise. But usually when I walk out there are other cars parked all around me. Why?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #982
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My peeve today? Last night I had carefully parked my car in a parking garage in downtown Boston. (I know...Boston:what did I expect)

When I came back, some a$$hat parked so close to my car that there was about 8 inches between his car and my driver's door. I tried but could not even think of getting in, meanwhile, getting my clothes filthy by rubbing up against both cars.

With my bad back making it impossible, DW had to crawl over the console, no easy feat for her either and back the car out. I was furious! Were it not for surveillance cameras, I would've... well......I just drove off steaming that people could be so inconsiderate.

If DW wasn't there I'd have had to call the cops or something (maybe I should have anyway).
Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #983
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My peeve today? Last night I had carefully parked my car in a parking garage in downtown Boston. (I know...Boston:what did I expect)

When I came back, some a$$hat parked so close to my car that there was about 8 inches between his car and my driver's door. I tried but could not even think of getting in, meanwhile, getting my clothes filthy by rubbing up against both cars.

With my bad back making it impossible, DW had to crawl over the console, no easy feat for her either and back the car out. I was furious! Were it not for surveillance cameras, I would've... well......I just drove off steaming that people could be so inconsiderate.

If DW wasn't there I'd have had to call the cops or something (maybe I should have anyway).
Was he over the white line, where you? If he wasn't then he didn't park illegally so no point in calling the police.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #984
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

When I came back, some a$$hat parked so close to my car that there was about 8 inches between his car and my driver's door.
It's not just Boston, trust me on this. There are A$$'s everywhere. However, it's not always completely the fault of the other drivers. IMO, the owners of the parking lot are just as much to blame. I know real estate is expensive and they are trying to cram in as many parking spaces as possible, but sometimes it's beyond any reason, especially if you are driving a full sized vehicle. Even if I'm in one of my daily drivers, I'll park away from most of the cars whenever possible to avoid problems of cramped spaces and dinged up doors.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #985
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is all the new tv shows that show the ending then say "20 hours earlier" or "2 days earlier". Stop showing the end of the show at the start of the show, it makes no sense. It screws up an otherwise good show.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #986
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I recall when I lived in Boston, I did something similar... not in a paring garage but parallel parked on the street.... I must have been close to the car parked in front of me and the car in front of him was close too so he had to jockey back and forth to get out... he left a typewritten note on my windshield asking me to please leave him a can opener next time so he could get his car out... or something along those lines.

I felt bad/guilty but surmised that it was not the first time if he had such notes already pre-printed and readily available.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #987

But then again it may have been the person who parked in front of him after you.

When I was much younger my grandmother told me a story about a guy who hit her car in a lot and left a note. It said something like this: Sorry about hitting your car. I was just gonna leave but some people saw me and I thought I'd better look like I was doing the right thing and leave you my info. Sorry again.
And no he didn't leave any contact info.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #988
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is companies hiring people to work as customer service reps on the phone in the US when they can barely speak English. I talked to 4 people from two different companies this morning and I could only understand one of them. The others spoke very broken English. Why would any company hire non-English speaking people to talk on the phone. I understand maybe having some bi-lingual people but English should be the priority. This was a far more stressful morning than it should've been.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #989
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My pet peeve is companies hiring people to work as customer service reps on the phone in the US when they can barely speak English. I talked to 4 people from two different companies this morning and I could only understand one of them. The others spoke very broken English. Why would any company hire non-English speaking people to talk on the phone. I understand maybe having some bi-lingual people but English should be the priority. This was a far more stressful morning than it should've been.

Are you sure those Customer Service Reps were in the US? Even if you dial a US number, even if the Reps say they are in the US and even if the company is based in the US... the CS Reps are probably overseas.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #990
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Are you sure those Customer Service Reps were in the US? Even if you dial a US number, even if the Reps say they are in the US and even if the company is based in the US... the CS Reps are probably overseas.
Yep, it saves the company a lot of money, and as long as the (ex)customer doesn't ultimately tie up a higher-paid worker with their complaint, it is a win.. Notice that the sales work isn't outsourced.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #991
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My pet peeve is companies hiring people to work as customer service reps on the phone in "for" the US when they can barely speak English. edited by Car-Guy
+1, except many of these call centers are in India, or other foreign countries.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #992
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
+1, except many of these call centers are in India, or other foreign countries.
2 of the 3 that I couldn't understand had very thick India accents, the other was Mexican(Spanish).
Old 10-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #993

Conspiracy theorists in general are my pet peeve; arguing with them does no good. Lack of evidence to support their pet theory becomes further evidence of the conspiracy.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
2 of the 3 that I couldn't understand had very thick India accents, the other was Mexican(Spanish).

"Thick" is definitely the operative word...Its like I can understand the word they are saying, but cant comprehend the sentence. I get tripped up on a word or two and while deciphering it, I lose the whole sentence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #995
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of accents, my pet peeve is people who remark "You have an accent!" Of course I have an accent. Everyone does.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #996
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of accents, my pet peeve is people who remark "You have an accent!" Of course I have an accent. Everyone does.
Yep, even here in Texas we have accents and we can usually understand most others who speak English, eh
Old 10-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #997
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yup, even here in Texas we have accents and we can usually understand most others who speak English, eh
There's a difference between a US born Texan having a "southern drawl" and a foreign born person speaking English as a second language. The latter is Far more difficult to understand.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #998
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Once upon a time, , we were driving thru a small town in North Carolina on a family vacation along with some friends. We stop at the drive through at a local Mc Donalds and the guy that came on the speaker said "Hi, can I help you". Nothing unusual with that except, he sound EXACTLY like Gomer Pyle on the Andy Griffin show. We laughed so hard we couldn't place our order and had to drive on. To this day, I sometimes wonder if it was a joke or for real. Either way, the accent was great.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #999
Administrator

Quote:
There's a difference between a US born Texan having a "southern drawl" and a foreign born person speaking English as a second language. The latter is Far more difficult to understand.
I find the Texas accent more challenging, also the southern drawl.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #1000
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally, I think that's true. Of course there are some folks that were born in Texas that might say anyone born outside Texas is foreign born and has a foreign accent.
Closed Thread