Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #1221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad has been trying to rollover his 401k to Vanguard and can't get the concierge to call him or email him. Hasn't heard from them in a week. He's talking about trying Fidelity now.
I had an old rollover that I moved to Vanguard after reading the raves about them. The concierge took care of everything but it took over a month to get the transfer done. It was an "in kind" transfer so it wasn't like I had to wait for anything to be liquidated. I haven't had an easy time getting a return call. I have to call and leave messages a couple of times to get a call back.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #1222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
My dad has been trying to rollover his 401k to Vanguard and can't get the concierge to call him or email him. Hasn't heard from them in a week. He's talking about trying Fidelity now.
I had an old rollover that I moved to Vanguard after reading the raves about them. The concierge took care of everything but it took over a month to get the transfer done. It was an "in kind" transfer so it wasn't like I had to wait for anything to be liquidated. I haven't had an easy time getting a return call. I have to call and leave messages a couple of times to get a call back.

Words "rollover" and "transfer" are used synonymously but aren't. A rollover is when you put your paws on it. A transfer occurs between institutions. Anytime I have used a rollover it was painless and quick. Anytime I have used a transfer its a pain and something is screwed up. Just last month I personally had to send the document request to original company as they said they never received the request from bank. I know they did because a rep saw on screen time and date it was sent.
With a rollover to Vanguard all I had to do was get the check and have it written out in care of me through Vanguard Fiduciary Trust Co. I put a little sticky note on it telling them which fund I wanted it deposited to and on the check also and it was available in less than 5 days...Eliminating the "gophers" saved me heartache. Unfortunately it went so smooth I decided to rollover another one and that is when I found out you can only do it once every 12 rolling months. So I elected to just renew CD and avoid frustration and paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #1223
Recycles dryer sheets

My pet peeve is getting phone calls looking for a deadbeat who shares my (very common) name. They generally assume I'm a thief, even though they just picked my number out of a phone book.

Today I had one where she hung up on me because she thought I was being rude for asking her questions about how they got my number.

I take solace in the fact that she must really hate her job, while I'm FI and only working because my job is fun.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #1224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Vanguard... I'm usually an fan but I tried to do my 2015 Roth conversion today and they wouldn't let me because I did a partial recharacterization of my 2014 Roth conversion back in March 2015. The rep said I couldn't do another Roth conversion until 2016. I'm pretty sure they have it wrong. We'll sort it out tomorrow
Well, after three conversations with my Flagship rep today... one this morning to discuss the situation, another this afternoon to complain about the lack of a resolution (squeaky wheel gets the grease) and a third one where they had a resolution, conceded that I was right and did the Roth conversion.... the situation is finally resolved. Given the S&P index went down today I came out ahead by over $1,000 so in a backasswards way they did me a favor.

The thing that bothers me is that 95 out of 100 people in a similar situation probably would have accepted what the rep told them that you couldn't do another conversions until 2016 and pushed back hard like I did to get the right answer.
Church Parking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #1225
Recycles dryer sheets

Church Parking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The members of the Lutheran Church across the street.
One car parked immediately to the north of my driveway, one car parked immediately to the south, and more in front of and behind them.

I can't see a damn thing in either direction when I leave.

The kicker is that there's a big parking lot to the south & to the east of the church but they refuse to use it because they're too damn lazy to walk a little further. And yes when I finally got out of my driveway safety, I drove through both lots & they were 80% empty.

Seriously, how can people be so stupid/ignorant enough to park that close to a driveway, when they see another car parked on the other side of the driveway & not realize that the person who lives there is going to have to back out into the street completely blind ?

Old 12-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
One car parked immediately to the north of my driveway, one car parked immediately to the south, and more in front of and behind them.

The kicker is that there's a big parking lot to the south & to the east of the church but they refuse to use it because they're too damn lazy to walk a little further. And yes when I finally got out of my driveway safety, I drove through both lots & they were 80% empty.

Seriously, how can people be so stupid/ignorant enough to park that close to a driveway, when they see another car parked on the other side of the driveway & not realize that the person who lives there is going to have to back out into the street completely blind ?

I don't know if this is the same everywhere but around where I live, it is against the law to park within 5 feet of a driveway. If they are parked less than 5 feet away then call the police. If they are not, then let it go since they aren't breaking any laws.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #1227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like a good time to put the sprinkler on to water that grass near your driveway--be sure it doesn't get the cars wet and leave water spots. Then, maybe take the blower and get all the debris off the driveway, too.

Would it be worth talking to the pastor--maybe he could ask his flock to be more courteous. They maybe think the blocked vision isn't a problem--just say a prayer and dash out into the boulevard.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #1228
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anti-intellectualism among some young people. It is a badge of honor for some. They make no pretense of being in college just to get a job, not because they are interested in ideas, reading, scholarship of any type. I was the complete opposite in my day--it was a badge of honor to be well read, know about the arts and literature, and smart.

I find this very very sad.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #1229
Give me a forum ...

Pre-printed Christmas cards with not so much as a signature, let alone a line or two of news or greeting. Why bother?
Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #1230
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
where I live, it is against the law to park within 5 feet of a driveway. If they are parked less than 5 feet away then call the police.
I checked into this, and you are right. The law is the same here.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #1231
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a good time to put the sprinkler on to water that grass near your driveway--be sure it doesn't get the cars wet and leave water spots. Then, maybe take the blower and get all the debris off the driveway, too.

I'd try those two ideas, but the high was only 20 where I live today

Would it be worth talking to the pastor--maybe he could ask his flock to be more courteous. They maybe think the blocked vision isn't a problem--just say a prayer and dash out into the boulevard

Already tried that. Was a little better for a while, but now it's as bad as it ever was. I talked to the city transportation engineer, and my Councilwoman this afternoon. Came up with some interesting ideas. Have to do something soon, it's getting absolutely ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #1232

Movies in which one of the characters vomits in reaction to some upsetting news. Way too common. Do they think that makes the character more believable, more human, more likable? Really tired of the vomiting bit.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #1233
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is after someone has not paid their mortgage in years & are finally foreclosed on the bank gives them money to vacate .$2,000 if they vacate in 30 days . What happened to eviction ?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #1234
Give me a forum ...

It's probably cheaper for the bank to bribe them out rather than incur the costs and time of a court ordered eviction. If it makes you feel better their credit is scarred for a long time.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Movies in which one of the characters vomits in reaction to some upsetting news. Way too common. Do they think that makes the character more believable, more human, more likable? Really tired of the vomiting bit.
I noticed this setting in about 10 years ago. A vomit fetish. Like high-speed chase scenes were in the 70's. Every movie had to have one.

It's not even realistic. I have never seen nor heard of someone spontaneously "ejecting" upon hearing bad news. Bad food maybe or the flu, but only after several hours.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #1236
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It's probably cheaper for the bank to bribe them out rather than incur the costs and time of a court ordered eviction. If it makes you feel better their credit is scarred for a long time.
I can't speak for Moemg, but it doesn't make me feel any better.
There's no way they should 'be paid' to leave something they couldn't afford, whatever the reason.

We've gotten way too soft in this country.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #1237
Give me a forum ...

Smokers

Followed by bad drivers.

Have I offended anyone yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #1238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't speak for Moemg, but it doesn't make me feel any better.
There's no way they should 'be paid' to leave something they couldn't afford, whatever the reason.

We've gotten way too soft in this country.
I wasn't saying that I though it was right.... just trying to explain why it happens.

If there was an expedited process for lender to foreclose on borrowers who default on their mortgages then there would be no need for that sort of things. Similarly, some lenders have acted badly as well and judges should be kicking tail there too.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #1239
Give me a forum ...

Icons in lieu of words.
I get it...we want to be "one world" and sometimes an icon can convey the idea faster (with less processing time) than a written word. But sometimes they can't.

I'm looking at you, Honda. Which button turns on my windshield defroster, and which does the back window? The buttons look the same, except one of the "windows" is rectangular and one is an opened conic section. Neither my windshield nor my back window is rectangular, and the curvy conic section doesn't match either. How about some grid wires on the button for the rear window, or better yet, the English word FRONT and REAR? Does Honda not sell enough cars in the English-speaking world to make this worthwhile?

And it is even worse with icons used in computer programs and apps. Okay, make a version with the inscrutable or too-detailed to discern icons for markets without one of the major languages, but for the rest of the world, how about some actual words (overprinted on the icon? As callouts that are all displayed when a single hotkey is pressed? The "rollover, hover, and wait to see if a descriptive label might appear" ain't sufficient.

No, I don't want to learn the icons (ie adapt to the program). As much as it might surprise the software developer, I use lots of different programs and learning the icons for each isn't always practical. Moreover, like most everyone using modern devices, I've already learned a very powerful method for expressing ideas in visible form. It is called "writing". Adapt your devices and programs to it.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #1240
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Heh. We took a trip to Solvang a few years ago, and while riding our bikes around a residential neighborhood, we passed a large church. This sign was on a front yard fence across the street from the church. It still gives me a chuckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973819_10202549715676935_2328877912861100307_o.jpg (69.0 KB, 32 views)