What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rude people. I'm sitting here in BOA to do a wire. One guy ahead of me, a family of three comes in after me. Lady helps the guy who's here ahead of me, then I'm up. No lady comes back ask who's next, the mother says she is!

I shook my head and point at myself, woman insisted she's next! I'm sitting here fuming! I hate to make a fuss, but that's nonsense!

Rude people. I'm sitting here in BOA to do a wire. One guy ahead of me, a family of three comes in after me. Lady helps the guy who's here ahead of me, then I'm up. No lady comes back ask who's next, the mother says she is!

I shook my head and point at myself, woman insisted she's next! I'm sitting here fuming! I hate to make a fuss, but that's nonsense!

That is why you are fuming....You didnt make a fuss... I have learned to let them have it if amicable concessions cannot be arranged...I like my John Wayne quote..."I will not be wronged....". Of course I first do a quick analysis prior to determine if I could possibly get my butt kicked. If that were happen, I let it go and they can go first. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is why you are fuming....You didn't make a fuss... I have learned to let them have it if amicable concessions cannot be arranged...I like my John Wayne quote..."I will not be wronged....". Of course I first do a quick analysis prior to determine if I could possibly get my butt kicked. If that were happen, I let it go and they can go first. :)
+1 My DW is always the one to say, " don't make a scene", but I don't let people wrong me unless there is an obvious serious downside. I usually prevail by being insistent but not obnoxious.

That mother just taught her kids how to take whatever they want, whether it's rightfully theirs or not. That's how kids learn....by example.

+1 My DW is always the one to say, " don't make a scene", but I don't let people wrong me unless there is an obvious serious downside. I usually prevail by being insistent but not obnoxious.

+1. Yeah, part of me will always be the "schoolmarm." In a situation like that, when the "adult" in line is "out of line," I politely remind them of who was next. If they insist, I look them in the eye (as I would with the class bully) and remind them, a second time, and more firmly. They usually back off.

As we used to say in the faculty room, "Some folks we just didn't reach."

:nonono:

In those portapotties at outdoor events there is never a FLAT horizontal surface except for the floor, so you can leave your drink outside on the ground, or you can hold it in one hand inside the portapotty. Or, God help you, you can place it on the floor.

That's what these are for.

brew_caddy-018.jpg

If I was clearly there first and she is trying to jump the queue, I have no problem with calling her on it and insisting that I get served first. What I don't understand is wasn't there a line or something that would make it clear where everyone stands?

If I was clearly there first and she is trying to jump the queue, I have no problem with calling her on it and insisting that I get served first. What I don't understand is wasn't there a line or something that would make it clear where everyone stands?

He said "I'm sitting here" and he was doing a wire, so he was probably waiting to see a banker instead of a clerk. I'm guessing it was a waiting area with a group of chairs.

He said "I'm sitting here" and he was doing a wire, so he was probably waiting to see a banker instead of a clerk. I'm guessing it was a waiting area with a group of chairs.

I have used BOA before for wires and notary services, and there has always been a sign-in sheet on a clip board in the waiting area so that the bank staff are clear on who is waiting in the queue. Guess that wasn't true here, but should be.

We were in a lobby area so no queue for order. I did speak up, too softly. After all the valuable feedback I'll speak louder, in these situations in the future. Over twenty years ago I intentionally became softer spoken but perhaps too far.

Girl drummer in a hard rock band. Just so wrong. Karen Carpenter was great but she was in a soft rock group. :hide:

People on bicycles that don't obey road traffic rules or state park rules. Today, I almost got run over by a guy on a bike on a dirt trail that is restricted to foot track only. AND what's wrong with bicyclists that can't let you know they are coming up and passing you on a paved trailed. Sometimes you can't hear them when they are coming up from behind you. When I was coming home from the park a bicyclist drove right through a red light and almost got hit and then started yelling at the car driver.

People on bicycles that don't obey road traffic rules or state park rules. Today, I almost got run over by a guy on a bike on a dirt trail that is restricted to foot track only. AND what's wrong with bicyclists that can't let you know they are coming up and passing you on a paved trailed. Sometimes you can't hear them when they are coming up from behind you. When I was coming home from the park a bicyclist drove right through a red light and almost got hit and then started yelling at the car driver.

I gave up on trying to announce "passing on the left" because they can never hear me. As long as you are walking on the right half of a rec trail as required then there shouldn't be any problem with a bike passing you on your left if there is no one coming in the opposite direction. I agree, though, that too many cyclists disobey the rules/laws just like people on foot or in cars do.

As long as you are walking on the right half of a rec trail as required then there shouldn't be any problem with a bike passing you on your left if there is no one coming in the opposite direction.
I think it is considerate for bicyclists to make their presence and plans to overtake pedestrians known. A quick ring of a bell is innocuous, appreciated by walkers, and conducive to safety. Just my opinion.

So sorry to hear about your loss, Irishgal. It is time to be kind to yourself.......and not answer the door until you are good and ready.....

(Though, when I felt the same after the passing of DH, I was often surprised that it was delivery people knocking. They were bringing by flowers, food, and sometimes even chocolate, all sent by concerned friends or family. Their thoughtfulness was heart-warming.)

But I still didn't want to go to the door.

Last edited:
Wasting Paper and Ink

Is there a widget someplace that I can install to make printing more efficient?

It seems like everytime I print something the 1st or last page has one or two lines (like just a header or footer). This is a waste of paper and ink. Sometimes I get a popup that offers an option to condense to a single page, but I think this should be automatic. I guess I am more sensitive since Megacorp is no longer supplying my home office with paper and ink.

It seems like everytime I print something the 1st or last page has one or two lines (like just a header or footer). This is a waste of paper and ink. Sometimes I get a popup that offers an option to condense to a single page, but I think this should be automatic. I guess I am more sensitive since Megacorp is no longer supplying my home office with paper and ink.

Usually, you can use 'print preview', then either adjust the size if that will work, or just print the pages with actual info.

I also have my printer set to 'toner saver' mode. There are several settings for adjusting the saturation of the print. You can usually take it down quite a bit, even a lot, and the print is just fine, just not as deep black, but perfectly readable. Probably wouldn't notice unless you held them side-by side.

Also in the 'pet peeve' category of printing like this - places that email a receipt (especially when you are asked to print it and bring it with you, like a ticket or coupon, or picking up an item that was pre-paid), and the receipt takes up several pages and/or has tons of graphics or black space (using up ink/toner).

They should put the relevant info in simple text on page 1, use a page break, then publish any extraneous stuff they want.

-ERD50

Last edited:

Is there no setting to prevent "widows and orphans" when you print?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My semi-retired husband who doesn't seem to realize I am NOT.

I am a big cyclist and I agree with you. Many lack courtesy and give the rest of us a bad name. I cringe when I am on my bike stopped at a traffic light and the cyclist next to me blows through it.

People who drive in the left lane on a multilane highway when not passing other cars.

Having to flag down the waiter at a restaurant to ask repeatedly to fill my water glass. Then when they do fill it it is mostly ice and about 2 sips of water.
Had lunch out today and when our food was brought my glass was almost empty. Waiter disappeared before I could ask for more water. I just wish they would realize that this does affect their tip.

Having to flag down the waiter at a restaurant to ask repeatedly to fill my water glass. Then when they do fill it it is mostly ice and about 2 sips of water.
Had lunch out today and when our food was brought my glass was almost empty. Waiter disappeared before I could ask for more water. I just wish they would realize that this does affect their tip.
Lately I have been asking for water with no ice. I have a medication that I have to take with lunch, and it's much easier to swallow with a glass of water and no ice. Much to my delight and surprise, the water comes out ice cold, like ice water, but I don't have to deal with all that ice. So (probably depending on the restaurant), maybe that would help.

My pet peeve of the day is crazy drivers.

The latest around here is those driving on a small street who suddenly accelerate dramatically as they approach the stop sign at an intersection with a large street, and then jam on their brakes at the last minute so that they don't pass the stop sign. Naturally others on the larger street are forced into avoidance maneuvers or jam on their brakes.

There is no reason for this other than sheer lunacy. Those doing it jam on their brakes too, so it's just costing them gas. Maybe they think it is funny, but it's not. We noticed as we drove down a medium large street that over half those approaching the intersections were doing this and that we weren't the only ones on the large street who were "faked out".

Another example is those who cut in front of you on the interstate with only an inch or less between cars. Literally. Half an inch.

Drivers ed, anybody? Driving just isn't fun any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom