What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a 'dusting' of snow yesterday afternoon.
So at 7:00 pm, here comes the snow plow, plowing nothing but the street surface, sparks flying everywhere.

I understand the need to put down salt, especially at intersections & roundabouts. but to literally scour the street surface for no reason whatsoever, is outrageous.

Yes, I have called & complained in the past.

Uppity writers of articles in news media using ten dollar words.

Example ......use of aposiopesis ........ WTF meaneth that:confused:??

Ok , took the trouble to look it up on a web site Lterary Device.net
Definition of Aposiopesis

Aposiopesis is derived from a Greek word that means “becoming silent”. It is a rhetorical device that can be defined as a figure of speech in which the speaker or writer breaks off abruptly and leaves the statement incomplete, as if the speaker is not willing to state what is present in his mind due to being overcome by passion, excitement or fear. In a piece of literature, it means to leave a sentence unfinished so that the reader could determine his own meanings.

Radio commercials/spots that use sirens, honking horns, and cell phone text alert noises. The first two make me slam on my brakes until I realize they are on the radio, and the second one makes me look at my phone at the next stopping place as only three people ever text me and it could be an emergency. And I never remember what the commercial/spot was for, so the sound effects are not sound effective at all.

Lack of a mailed paper 1099-INT for accounts with less than $10 in interest. Yes, I know the IRS doesn't require the institutions to generate them, but as far as I know I'm still required to report the interest. Having my shoebox with all the 1099s I've received allows me to quickly enter the numbers. Without a 1099, I have to log on to a web site (that I seldom use--no idea what my password is) and find the document or maybe a December statement. How many other people get tripped up by this (e.g. a credit union account calls the payment a "dividend" on their statements, but it is really interest. That's gotta confuse some people, and result in wasted employee time answering questions.) C'mon--you had my money for a year, paid me almost nothing, would it cost a lot to slip a 1099 in with the (paper) Dec or Jan statement I get? Yes, I still get paper statements--and lack of a mailed 1099 is one reason I still want them. They ain't saving any money in my case by not sending a 1099-INT.

Last edited:
Radio commercials/spots that use sirens, honking horns, and cell phone text alert noises. The first two make me slam on my brakes until I realize they are on the radio, and the second one makes me look at my phone at the next stopping place as only three people ever text me and it could be an emergency. And I never remember what the commercial/spot was for, so the sound effects are not sound effective at all.

A major station in Philadelphia used to start the traffic report with the beep-beep of a car horn. I would listen to that station for traffic reports. That car horn was so real I jumped every time. I have not visited Philadelphia often, but I stopped using that station for traffic reports.

The latest formula for radio commercials irks me. They start a commercial at 10 minutes before the hour. Then at 5 minutes before the hour, they sneak in 1 to 3 minutes of the show you were listening to, then back to about 7 minutes of commercials and news mixed in. I just don't even try to hear that 1 to 3 minutes of the show. I just turn the radio off from 10 minutes before the hour until 5 minutes after, to avoid the whole commercial/news/show cluster*. Used to be easier to avoid commercials and not miss any of the show.

eBay sellers who list an item they do not stock. Only when it sells, they then source it from their wholesaler taking weeks to ship. Listing says will ship in 4 work days. In my dreams maybe. All of this is against eBay policy of having a listing for an out of stock item. Emails from the seller saying they are not sure why the tracking shows no progress, well, maybe it is because you never shipped it, perhaps. Negative feedback will be left for them. It is my only recourse.
Ok, I feel better now.

Mediacom, what a lousy cable TV provider. About 3 to 4 times a year we have this same problem, the picture is pixilating and the voice is choppy on all channels. I really dislike calling their customer service number because you have to go thru their automated troubleshooting which normally never fixes the problem. After finally getting a human voice that speaks English as a second language, they finally decide it is necessary to schedule a service call. Lucky me, I only have to wait 7 days for the service call. Based on past experience I will be getting at least 2 robo calls a day for the next 7 days from Mediacom requiring me to confirm that we still need the customer service call. Pi$$ poor customer service.:mad:

Or when you go to a webpage either to research an item or to actually buy something and before you even read the text you get a popup asking you to rate your experience! Well it might have been a good experience before your d##n popup got in my way. Or even worse how about these pop unders? Occasionally I find a few hiding behind my browser.

The latest formula for radio commercials irks me. They start a commercial at 10 minutes before the hour. Then at 5 minutes before the hour, they sneak in 1 to 3 minutes of the show you were listening to, then back to about 7 minutes of commercials and news mixed in. I just don't even try to hear that 1 to 3 minutes of the show. I just turn the radio off from 10 minutes before the hour until 5 minutes after, to avoid the whole commercial/news/show cluster*. Used to be easier to avoid commercials and not miss any of the show.

I suppose there is something to be said for Sirius XM.

I understand the need for commercials but when a talk show host, out of nowhere, starts pumping a product, I'm done for the day.

Well since you mentioned SiriusXM....I listened to them for many years while working but finally quit. The main reason was this Phlash character on 60's channel. Really enjoyed the music but this joker thinks it is a talk show. And not even talk relevant to 60's music. Just blabbering on about whatever and callers talking about nothing important. Seriously if I wanted to listen to commercials or DJs blabbing I would listen to the radio.

Uppity writers of articles in news media using ten dollar words.

Example ......use of aposiopesis ........ WTF meaneth that:confused:??

Agreed. And it's not just in 'news media'
I've seen it right here @ ERF

Personally I appreciate when a writer or speaker finds the perfect word to convey meaning, even when I have to look it up. That helps me expand my vocabulary.

For instance, I now know "cromulent". Can't wait to drop that one in conversation!

Two things at the moment:
1. Perfectly dry firewood that simmers and glows for hours on end but will not make a good looking lively fire.
2. Household projects that necessitate further projects. Eg. we changed the living room light fixture this week only to find the old one left shadow lines. Since we don't know the ceiling paint color (there are a zillion whites) the whole ceiling will probably need to be repainted.

The loaded blooming onion . Is Outback trying to kill people ? They take a fried onion and put fries , bacon and cheese on top .

The loaded blooming onion . Is Outback trying to kill people ? They take a fried onion and put fries , bacon and cheese on top
I don't think Outback even makes it to the qualifying round. Look at the stuff they serve at the Iowa fair (link here)

Fried butter on a stick
FRIED MACARONI AND CHEESE, With bacon bits and sour cream
Fried funnel cake
Double bacon corn dog (So they take a corn dog wrapped in bacon,batter it in bacon bits batter then deep-fry it and serve with syrup dipping sauce)
Deep-fried Oreos, Snickers, and Twinkies

In my view this is less a case of trying to kill someone and more like assisted suicide. :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom