Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #1441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
It's a minor thing, but I hate when somebody is asked "how old are you?" and they answer with "I'll be xx years old at the end of the year." So does that mean you are "xx-1" right now? Or did you already have your birthday? Why are you making me do (admittedly simple) math instead of just answering the question? It's such a weird way to answer a simple question.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think next time someone asks me how old I am I'll tell them I was born six years before Marilyn Monroe's death...just to irritate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #1442
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, transferred DW's IRA into her TSP account. Mutual Fund was liquidated in the IRA account at Fidelity on 12/29/15, money showed up in the TSP on 1/15/16. This morning I saw that Fidelity has credited 21 cents in interest to her IRA account for January. I hat e it when we get these tiny balances in an account when we are trying to close them. I guess we'll just make a 21 cent withdrawal when she turns 59 and 1/2.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
OK, transferred DW's IRA into her TSP account. Mutual Fund was liquidated in the IRA account at Fidelity on 12/29/15, money showed up in the TSP on 1/15/16. This morning I saw that Fidelity has credited 21 cents in interest to her IRA account for January. I hat e it when we get these tiny balances in an account when we are trying to close them. I guess we'll just make a 21 cent withdrawal when she turns 59 and 1/2.
Note that the IRS allows one to round to the nearest dollar in filling out forms so a 1099-r with .29 will show up as zero, and then the 10% penalty is 10% of zero.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #1444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or worst case, pay the 2 cents.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #1445

I just checked the Irs web site and just like for 1099-int forms if you get less than $10 there is no requirement to issue a 1099-r.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #1446
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Or worst case, pay the 2 cents.
Hey, it's the principle of the thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I just checked the Irs web site and just like for 1099-int forms if you get less than $10 there is no requirement to issue a 1099-r.
But as I understand it, you are still required to report it (but who does?).

Actually, I did report a < $10 INT/DIV amount, because it might be > $10 next year, and by entering it this year, my tax SW will retain all the contact info for that institution/account. Having the reminder, and not needing to re-enter that info was worth 15% of $4.50 for me at tax time. Yep, I'm getting pretty loose with my stash these days, I might lose my LBYM badge

But heck, I used 'lose' and 'loose' correctly in the same sentence! Not bad for a grammar challenged guy. But is that the correct 'principle'? Is my stand on an issue my 'pal'? I'll give myself 50-50 odds before consulting Google.

-ERD50
Old 01-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #1447

The word awesome.

Poking through craiglist there are a lot of awesome things for sale. The few I looked at was closer to junk status.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #1448

Dang! That's my favorite word! But I try only to employ it for things that are actually awesome, and not just for junk on Craigslist.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #1449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
It's a minor thing, but I hate when somebody is asked "how old are you?" and they answer with "I'll be xx years old at the end of the year." So does that mean you are "xx-1" right now? Or did you already have your birthday? Why are you making me do (admittedly simple) math instead of just answering the question? It's such a weird way to answer a simple question.
I think I will answer future questions about my age this way.

"I will be 70 when I claim SS".
Old 01-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #1450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The word awesome.

Poking through craiglist there are a lot of awesome things for sale. The few I looked at was closer to junk status.
While know there is a 99 cent store post at the dollar store there is a cleaning produce called Awesome! which actually does work awesome. Just be careful.... it'll take off paint if you leave it sit for too long.
What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #1451
Give me a forum ...

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Downloaded the MapMyRide app. Full of ads and other intrusive crap, some of which would likely disappear if I "upgrade", i.e. "pay"...

Plus, like many apps, if I give it access to my passwords for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., it will post across multiple platforms. Sorry, don't/won't do that...

So, sticking with my el-cheapo Bell bike computer. Also have a gps app that does the same thing, without all the hassles, but if I should crash, I'd prefer to damage my $25 bike computer, and not my $800 iPhone...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #1452

Quote:
While know there is a 99 cent store post at the dollar store there is a cleaning produce called Awesome! which actually does work awesome. Just be careful.... it'll take off paint if you leave it sit for too long.
Thanks I did not know about that. OTOH classic coke will do as well.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #1453

The intrnet of things.

Seems more and more stuff has sensors, microphones and other "features that talk to the internet. More ways to get "listened to"

Google chorome processes voice commands on line, not in the pc. Can you hear me now?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #1454
Give me a forum ...

I was reading the Jan/Feb 2016 issue of Money and they have a letter from someone referring to a previous Money article that said that a retired couple would need $245k saved to cover health care costs in retirement and this guy suggests that it is really more like $350k assuming a 30% federal and state income tax rate. While the math is right it is hugely misleading.

How many retirees pay 30%? Very few and those who do have enough income tht they probably don't need to worry about health care costs. Even an affluent retired couple with $50k of SS, $10k of qualified dividends and $40k of 401k/IRA withdrawals would only pay 6.8% in tax on $100k of income... or 17.1% on the $40k of 401k/IRA withdrawals.

I'm disappointed that Money doesn't use better judgement in deciding what letters to publish.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #1455

Voice to text translators that result in sentences like *Aye went too the store two bye a pear of shoos*. Usually there is a word or two completely missing also.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #1456

The sound of someone biting into, then chewing and slurping, an apple.

And no, I don't have misophonia; most people-noises don't bother me. Apple-chomping is simply an obnoxious sound.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #1457
Give me a forum ...

Pet peeve of the day is T+3 for brokerage ETF transactions... when is the industry going to get into the 21st century? With today's technology ETFs should settle right away the same as funds... especially since my money is sitting in my account ready to go.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #1458

Very unforgiving of me I know, but I loathe certain eating styles, as in loud chewing, self-satisfied smacking sounds, and then the ever-present *lean back, open wide and pick the teeth orgasmically with a toothpick*, all done in a self-absorbed sphere of bliss, and as if there is nothing rude about it. Don't hate me, it's just a peeve. Embrace diversity. Edit to add: someone biting into an apple loudly doesn't bother me, for some reason.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #1459

Quote:
Pet peeve of the day is T+3 for brokerage ETF transactions... when is the industry going to get into the 21st century? With today's technology ETFs should settle right away the same as funds... especially since my money is sitting in my account ready to go.
Every institution loves the float. Just another way of making money.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #1460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
pb4... I think that you know how this works...

Just like stocks, there are failed trades... brokers keep their own book of holders and only 'settle' when there is a trade that is not internal... it is these trades that can have a problem...

Now, for most retail customers that just by a few thousand dollars, the broker probably could settle as I doubt there are going to fail a trade with small dollars.... however, I have no idea what they do... this is just a big guess on my part...