What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
!/2 page ads that are attached to the first section of the newspaper and force you to remove them before reading, or ads designed to look like postit-notes adhered to the front page. Small things, but annoying.

Women in the pew in front of you in church who do that "mommy sway" continually as if rocking a child--but there's no child. Makes me dizzy. I have never seen men do this.

Women in the pew in front of you in church who do that "mommy sway" continually as if rocking a child--but there's no child. Makes me dizzy. I have never seen men do this.

Had one in front of me at a concert not long ago. Was not swaying to the music, but babbling to mates on either side...

The people who try to push to the front of traffic when construction has lanes closed. They know the lane is ending and instead of getting over they wait until the last second to try and squeeze in. And then they honk and flip you off for not giving them space to accommodate their rectal-cranial inversion.
Well, actually I think traffic flows much, much better in a merge if folks go all the way to the end of the lane merging before trying to merge. Otherwise, folks merge early, and other people pass them jumping ahead. It's the early mergers that are screwing it up for everyone else by slowing down the lane that everyone is merging into.

well, actually i think traffic flows much, much better in a merge if folks go all the way to the end of the lane merging before trying to merge. Otherwise, folks merge early, and other people pass them jumping ahead. It's the early mergers that are screwing it up for everyone else by slowing down the lane that everyone is merging into.

+10,000,000,000,001 !!! ;d

So unless that pertains to anyone in particular, the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack doesn't apply. :flowers:
The methods you describe are the normal mode of driving in Mexico (except for expats). You learn to anticipate the bus that will cross 3 lanes to make a left turn. He has dropped off passengers at the curb.

Well I'm the one who when I'm on a merging lane I merge as soon as the lane is open. When I enter the lane my speed is equal or faster than traffic. And I'm often entering the left lane quickly to avoid the ones that wait until the merge lane ends then just pull in front of someone who either didn't or couldn't move over.

Well, actually I think traffic flows much, much better in a merge if folks go all the way to the end of the lane merging before trying to merge. Otherwise, folks merge early, and other people pass them jumping ahead. It's the early mergers that are screwing it up for everyone else by slowing down the lane that everyone is merging into.

So there must be some kind of goldilocks zone: not too early to cause backup due to inefficiency, not too late to cause backup by people cutting in at the last second that causes people to slam on their brakes and still manage to slow down traffic.

Someone who has a j*b can figure out where it is. :D

Apparently, if you're under some magical age, if you say you don't want kids, you're suddenly under fire by some people who feel I don't know what. Offended maybe?

Oh, you'll change your mind.
Oh, you don't care for other people's kids much? You'll change your mind when they're yours.
Well, you never know, accidents happen.
You should have kids, you'd make a great dad!

I made sure I can't have kids, and even if I could, I'm too busy raising a motorcycle! :dance:

Why do they make over the counter meds that you can't reseal the box. I just bought Claritin, opened the box, took out a reditab and realized there's no way to seal the box. What's up with that? It's not like there's a bottle, it's 3 or 4 blister packs. I've got painters tape holding the box shut. I hate sloppy!

Phone messages that say "call me", with no further information.

Depends on who left the message.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, appelle moi mon cherie, appelle moi
Anytime, anyplace, anywhere, any way
Anytime, anyplace, anywhere, any day

Last edited:
My pet peeve is "What happened to days of getting a courtesy call?".

I live in a condo unit and it's required to have the dryer vent cleaned. So I have that scheduled for 10 am. It's already 10:25 am. So, I called the company and told them I have a 10 am appointment. Their answer, "Well, there's a unit below you who is also getting serviced, so probably they started their first then will work their way up to your unit". Logical, but would be nice if they let me know instead of having my waiting, waiting having to make a call to find out what's going on. :mad:

My pet peeve is "What happened to days of getting a courtesy call?".

I live in a condo unit and it's required to have the dryer vent cleaned. So I have that scheduled for 10 am. It's already 10:25 am. So, I called the company and told them I have a 10 am appointment. Their answer, "Well, there's a unit below you who is also getting serviced, so probably they started their first then will work their way up to your unit". Logical, but would be nice if they let me know instead of having my waiting, waiting having to make a call to find out what's going on. :mad:

I agree. If you have an appointment for a set time and you are going to be late, the least you can do is call. Being late for a set time is even worse than having a '4 hour window' IMO.

Why do they make over the counter meds that you can't reseal the box. I just bought Claritin, opened the box, took out a reditab and realized there's no way to seal the box. What's up with that? It's not like there's a bottle, it's 3 or 4 blister packs. I've got painters tape holding the box shut. I hate sloppy!

Tamper protection, maybe?

Most people don't realize it, but the zipper movement (using all available lanes) is by far the most efficient way through.

This is only true when traffic is flowing smoothly, at a normal rate.

When traffic is bumper-to-bumper and stop-and-go, it's simply queue-jumping, and is inconsiderate.

This fact, however, has not stopped habitual "cheaters" from latching on to the part of the story they like ("Driving to the end and cutting in is scientifically superior!") and discarding the part they don't like (that it is only true for smoothly-flowing traffic, which is not the scenario about which the rest of us "fair play" drivers are complaining).

Service providers, Direct TV in this case, who's VRU application tells me to go to their website and self-service. When you get there the website doesn't allow you to do the transaction you want to do! You have to speak with a representative!

Then at the call wrap-up I get transferred to a guy who's job is to read the contractual obligation I've just agreed to. OK, I'll go along with the game. This guy, the reader, has horrible English skills! I can't understand him at all! I worked with folks who were from the part of the world his accent is from, I understand them fine.

My PPOTD is pedestrians who ignore the walk signs. I think they believe they are invincible, or maybe just need the money from a settlement.

It has always been my understanding that if they are not in-accordance-with the walk/don't walk protocols you can plow into them

It has always been my understanding that if they are not in-accordance-with the walk/don't walk protocols you can plow into them

Another peeve is the delicate plastic grilles they put on vehicles now. They get all broken up when plowing into pedestrians who ignore "Don't Walk" signs. And new parts are so expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom