What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep receipts in my wallet until entering them in Quicken and this is a pain. Kroger is the worst.

So do I, but as soon as I get them, I just tear off the useless bottom portion that has the ads/survey/etc and immediately hand it back to the clerk.

My pet peeve of everyday: junk email. Today I got an email from an online photo album company congratulating me on my "new arrival". Really? I'm 54 and DS doesn't have a girlfriend. Guess I'll have a talk with DH (just kidding!)

Getting a receipt 14 inches long for a single item purchase.

There was an article about how long CVS receipts spark social media sensation.

In one photo, a man holds up a CVS receipt so long it towers above his head. Another features a woman who jokingly uses the paper strip to keep track of her figure. She’s down to her target waistline: half a receipt.

The drug store chain’s remarkably long receipts — some, jammed with coupons, are said to reach 6 feet — have become a social media sensation, sparking more than 8,000 Twitter posts that range from gentle ribbings to scathing reproaches. They include photos that employ children, dogs, and even pianos as units of measurement of the scroll-like slips.

Double secret confirmation questions when registering at a website. "Who was your best friend in third grade?" Seriously?

Here's one. Online yesterday, BBT Bank required me to update my security questions. I couldn't get a screenshot from the dropdown box but I did take a photo. First choice .. What's your biggest pet peeve?

I wonder about the people that think these things up. Do they really believe this is security?

Attachments

• BBT.jpg
    BBT.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Here's one. Online yesterday, BBT Bank required me to update my security questions. I couldn't get a screenshot from the dropdown box but I did take a photo. First choice .. What's your biggest pet peeve?

The obvious answer is "BBT security questions" .... Seriously, I will never remember the answer to that question. Pet peeves can be numerous and fleeting and do not stick in my memory. It's a poor choice for security question but I am seeing more and more poor set of security questions these days.

My pet peeve of everyday: junk email. Today I got an email from an online photo album company congratulating me on my "new arrival". Really? I'm 54 and DS doesn't have a girlfriend. Guess I'll have a talk with DH (just kidding!)

Did you recently buy a baby gift? Or even open up and peruse a baby registry online?

I am 58, and definitely not anticipating any "new arrivals!". However, a few weeks ago I purchased a baby gift in a store (after looking at the registry online) and I have received two junk flyers advertising great savings at another local baby emporium. :(

I hate when people leave their motorcycle idling for a long time when in close proximity to other people. I think that is very inconsiderate.

I hate when people leave their motorcycle idling for a long time when in close proximity to other people. I think that is very inconsiderate.
What I find inconsiderate is a motorcycle (or car) that is loud at any RPM.

Did you recently buy a baby gift? Or even open up and peruse a baby registry online?

I am 58, and definitely not anticipating any "new arrivals!". However, a few weeks ago I purchased a baby gift in a store (after looking at the registry online) and I have received two junk flyers advertising great savings at another local baby emporium. :(

The company later sent out an apology for the email, there was a mix up and that email went to everyone that had signed up for the company, which I did 4 years ago. I think I like this company now. :)

What I find inconsiderate is a motorcycle (or car) that is loud at any RPM.
Yes, those loud bikes with an "ape hanger". I imagine launching a noise-seeking missile at them.

My pet peeve is advertising in general. Spam, junk phone calls, junk snail mail, bright flourescent 3 foot long banners hung from my door, ads on websites, television ads, radio ads, and more. We are constantly deluged with more advertising in our lives than content.

I don't read or listen to any of it, and to the best of my knowledge I have never once in my 65+ years of life bought something due to an ad. Just thinking of the millions of trees slaughtered, not to mention the bandwidth required for all that spam, is enough to make a person sick. :sick:

Besides, it is annoying. :D

Pet peeve from yesterday: took car in for final "free" maintenance check. Turns out it was for 24 mos. or 25k miles, so was not free, but I suppose $19.95 isn't too bad for a tire rotation. Plus, they vacuumed my car. :dance:

Anyway, cheap-azz OEM tires will need replaced soon. Dealer rep shows me some options, then proceeds to tell me I "need" a four-wheel alignment for $120. Granted, I was planning on buying tires from Costco, plus I know the guy was doing his "j*b" trying to up-sell me, but what really happened is they lost my business for good. Four-wheel alignment at 25k miles? Thing drives straight as an arrow, no weird wear on tires, no reason but to sell some gullible sucker something they don't need. Too bad for them...

Yeah, but he was probably hoping for somebody like me. I probably would have gone for it. I love knowing for sure that my wheels are absolutely perfectly aligned. I guess I "have a thing" about wheel alignment. I'd rather get my wheels aligned when they didn't need it, than not get them aligned when they did.

I still have my OEM tires after 4+ years and 15,700 miles or so. No alignments, yet, but I probably need one. Had to have a few holes plugged (there are a lot of roofing nails on the street here from time to time).

Last edited:
...........I still have my OEM tires after 4+ years and 15,700 miles or so. No alignments, yet, but I probably need one. Had to have a few holes plugged (there are a lot of roofing nails on the street here from time to time).
At that rate, your tires will rot off before they wear out. :D

At that rate, your tires will rot off before they wear out. :D

They will, you're right! :D When I drove a little Solara I used to get my tires changed every three years whether I needed them or not. My Venza came with the HUGE tires as part of the fancy upgraded package, though, and it is going to cost me a mint to replace them when the time comes. So, I have been putting that off.

It's nice to be retired with no commuting, and to live in a nice inner suburb where everything I need is close by.

Yeah, but he was probably hoping for somebody like me. I probably would have gone for it. I love knowing for sure that my wheels are absolutely perfectly aligned. I guess I "have a thing" about wheel alignment. I'd rather get my wheels aligned when they didn't need it, than not get them aligned when they did.

I still have my OEM tires after 4+ years and 15,700 miles or so. No alignments, yet, but I probably need one. Had to have a few holes plugged (there are a lot of roofing nails on the street here from time to time).

If you can take your hands off the wheel at freeway speed, and your car keeps going perfectly straight, you don't need an alignment. Wheel balancing, on the other hand, should be done every time you rotate the tires.

Sorry, not angry about anything today.

Most of my trouble is caused by me, and no point in getting peeved at me.

Ha

Today's pet peeve:

Buying a $375.00 Kraus faucet and having Chinese picture installation directions with no text (words) and parts shown on the diagram that are not required or even in the box. :facepalm:

Just got Hughesnet internet set up. The new system supports phone calls very nicely so I ordered OOMA. It arrived today and so did my aggravations. Worked through the on-line install and it asked for my address. It insisted on putting me on the street followed by Road. I live on Lane. That was for 911 calls. The Road is about 10 miles from me. It finally let me just move on. Then it asked me for a credit card. I put all the information in and it kept rejecting it. I even looked up the info on my credit card website to make sure everything was right and asked a rep on that site to verify that the expiration date had not changed, etc. I even tried a different credit card - still rejected. I gave up and went to check my e-mail. There it was! An e-mail congratulating me for completing the registration process for OOMA. It had been sitting in my e-mail for over an hour while I was about to throw the thing through a window. I hooked up the hardware and let it sync up and it works fine now. I HATE dealing with on-line setup proceedures!:mad:

But at least if have a phone now and can call someone with the offending company to do my rant. :LOL:

Fancy booklets and advertising from Children 's hospitals around the country. I get these all the time. I 'm in Pennsylvania I'm generally not going to refer patients to Cinncinati or DC. Good grief what a waste of trees!

Web pages with multi-page listings of things where you must scroll to the bottom of the current page only to find out that the entry you are looking for is on some following page, causing another click, and repeat until you find the page that contains the item you want.

For example, go to the Community -> Member List, click R looking for Rustward and go at it. You'll find him on page 28. If you did it the hard way, you would have scrolled down to the bottom of 27 pages, then clicked on the next page number, scrolled down until you saw Rustward. But most people would have skipped some pages, which becomes a hit-and-miss proposition.

If the key (user name) of the last entry on the page were displayed on the top of the page, one could make the decision to page forward without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

[In the mainframe world, which happens to be still very much alive, this would be called a "search key greater than or equal" -- done the hard way (manually).]

Or, an alternative: When I click on the R, show me a page that contains a clickable link for each of the "R" pages, along with the highest key (user name) of each entry on that page. Then I can find the page that would contain the user name I am looking for (if it exists) and go directly to that page.

But this is still a manual search. These computers were invented to work for us, not the other way around.

Even better: How hard would it be to implement a generic search? Not talking about wildcard characters (but those would be nice). Give me a box and let me enter the starting characters of what I am looking for. Entering "rus" would position me on "rusnkaz", which is 16 entries above "rustward". But if I take all the effort to then type a "t", I wind up on rustward's member list entry.

I used the member list just as an example. There are lots of places where this could apply -- and some websites do this. It may be worth it only on lists that have the potential to become very long. For a list that might have a maximum of 10 entries it might be overkill.

Last edited:
DVDs where the Main Menu and Skip Chapter buttons are disabled during the opening previews and commercials. I just want to start the movie, lol.

People who come to this board and post that they have a net worth of 8+ million and no debt and asking if they have enough money to retire. Ah wait.... that might not be a pet peeve; that might be jealousy.

People who come to this board and post that they have a net worth of 8+ million and no debt and asking if they have enough money to retire. Ah wait.... that might not be a pet peeve; that might be jealousy.

:D

I posted something similar in another thread.

Moreover, there are those who give them the advice of 2% WR as if they'd run out of their $8M due to "unforeseen" events.

:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom