What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ranted somewhere about how some web sites go with stylish grey text, making it harder to read.

The other day I got a physical book (Between the Lines), and it was unreadable because they made the text grey by reducing the number of dots in each letter:

dx7b7cj.png

Are these the same "few" who decline all offers of help, because only they can do it "right"? (Plus, they are busy gossiping and don't want you to hear).

Amethyst

Every year, without fail, a "select" few do all the cooking and clean-up, while the rest sit on their keisters.

I've ranted somewhere about how some web sites go with stylish grey text, making it harder to read.

The other day I got a physical book (Between the Lines), and it was unreadable because they made the text grey by reducing the number of dots in each letter:

Well, that ink is awfully expensive you know. Or I guess it must be.

My pet peeve of the day is folks who are all to ready to give advice on how to do something but when time comes to get things done, they find a reason to throw a wrench in the plans.

The details: I've been offering advice to my sister who wants to cut the cord for her TV. So we email back and forth, me telling her what I did (different DVRs to choose from, different antennas to get). On the last email, she writes back saying they don't want to order online and instead is only looking at one antenna from Walmart because if an antenna ordered online doesn't work, her husband doesn't want to have to mail it back. :blush:

My approach now is .... "Dear sister....keep me posted" :LOL: instead go going out of my way to help.

But I think either when the switch doesn't work, they'll conclude OTA sucks and stick with DirectTV or my sister will finally say, "help me" and not listen to her husband blocking her project. :LOL:

Last edited:
We use "adopted" for the rescue dogs in my volunteer group. What's wrong with that, Chuck? I can imagine our "Happy Tails Adoption Stories" section of the website getting a little clogged up if we headlined it "Latest Acquirers" as it lacks a certain zing!

I would add to say that I draw the line at "furbabies". I'm not crazy, after all.

We use "adopted" for the rescue dogs in my volunteer group. What's wrong with that, Chuck? ...

Hah, you hit on a related pet-pet-peeve of mine! I hate the term 'rescue dogs' - they are not St Bernards with a brandy cask going out to rescue people, they are rescued dogs. The dog was rescued by people. That makes them 'rescued dogs', not 'rescue dogs'. The people could be called 'rescue people' I guess.

And I think it is great that people look to a shelter to rescue a dog that needs a home, rather than purchase one raised to be sold (and nothing wrong with that either, if that is what you are looking for).

-ERD50

Anybody wanna adopt/rescue a 1-eyed kitten? Found it yesterday, in the bushes beside my house. I'll send it out by Petsovernight.com! :D

On a serious note, it's not abandoned, as the mother is around, and very protective of it and its two siblings, both of which have all their eyes. We've been trying to get the mother friendly enough to domesticate, so that she'll be more adoptable.

Erd, I guess the thought process has been that the dogs "belong" to the rescue, hence they are "rescue dogs". Like I would be called the "Smith kid" as I belonged to my parents. Though that is just a guess, I don't rock the boat for our particular group, but stick to my knitting which is paying the bill and keeping us in good with Uncle Sam. Until you brought it up, it never occurred to me that it is an odd usage. For the record, Border Collies are teetotalers, and would never be willing to bring you brandy, or even a cold beer on a hot day! :)

Andre, you are so kind to help these little guys out, and their mamma. :)

I know it's not the same but when I hear "rescue" dogs, I think of "search and rescue" dogs.

Back to back meetings at work, scheduled for the full hour. No time for being on time if next meeting is in a different area of the building or going to the restroom or gathering your thoughts.
Probably 50 or 55-minute meetings would be much better.

Also, when you get to the new meeting location and the previous team is still trying to get some items discussed even if their time in that room is over. People that are calling in remotely into your meeting just think you are late, when in fact the other team is preventing you from starting.

Seems like self-inflicted damage for the Dilbert crowd.

Last edited:
Back to back meetings at work, scheduled for the full hour. No time for being on time if next meeting is in a different area of the building or going to the restroom or gathering your thoughts.
Probably 50 or 55-minute meetings would be much better.

Also, when you get to the new meeting location and the previous team is still trying to get some items discussed even if their time in that room is over. People that are calling in remotely into your meeting just think you are late, when in fact the other team is preventing you from starting.

Seems like self-inflicted damage for the Dilbert crowd.

+1. The stupid thing about this is that most meetings if organized, prepared, and run right do not need full 60 minutes.

My pet peeves of the day ... psychopath, sociopath posters (not this forum, but others which are not well moderated) who uses forums to attack others.

Here's my peeve for today..... An old one many have bought up but I witnessed it just this morning and it irked me.....

Non-handicapped drivers pull into a handicapped space and wait while their passenger runs into a building. "Oh, I'll just pull out if an actual handicapped persons requests" is their ususal defense. I can tell you that legitimate handicapped folks, not knowing if you're legit or not (your tag may be on the dash where they can't see it or whatever) aren't going to challenge you. You're inappropriately taking a close-in parking spot and showing yourself to be a true scumbag.

Reminder - a non-handicapped person waiting in the car while another runs in is NOT ok. Stay out of the handicapped spots!

Pet peeve of the day is : waiting 4 minutes in checkout line while customer ahead swipes card, signs electronic signature (which for some reason takes a whole 60 seconds), types in numbers, cashier stares at screen, customer types more numbers, cashier stares at screen........ad infinitum.

People who think it is okay for their kid to be screaming and crying in a restaurant and not take the child outside until the meltdown is over. I expect that at Micky D's or some such but not at a nicer place.

I did not pay good money for a nice restaurant to have the meal disturbed by ill-mannered, rude, inconsiderate people who think anything their bundle of joy does is wonderful. News flash! it isn't.

People who think it is okay for their kid to be screaming and crying in a restaurant and not take the child outside until the meltdown is over. I expect that at Micky D's or some such but not at a nicer place.

I did not pay good money for a nice restaurant to have the meal disturbed by ill-mannered, rude, inconsiderate people who think anything their bundle of joy does is wonderful. News flash! it isn't.

+100

I am a mother, and I never did that, so why should they?

My pet peeve at restaurants lately is the waitress who interrupts your conversation and intent focus on your dinner partner and light of your life, in order to say, "Would you like some more water?" :LOL: I know, I know, I suppose some people would find it annoying to have their water refilled without being consulted first, and they can't please everyone.

I can adopt a course if action, and I could adopt a child, but some of you-all would grammatically forbid me to adopt a pet? The verb "adopt" can take other objects than "human child".

Driving along on the Interstate yesterday a sign says "left lane closed in 2 miles due to road construction". After about a mile, 70 to 80% of the cars have moved over to the right lane to "get in line and wait their turn". The other 20 to 30% have raced ahead in the left lane to "get ahead" and they wait till the last minute to move over. They cause the traffic jam more so than the construction.:mad:

Pet peeve of every day is red-light running a$$holes...

A couple of weeks ago, at an intersection near me, I was nearly rammed by someone making an left turn after the light changed to red. Then, last weekend, I was third in line at the same intersection when three cars made the same left turn after our light had turned green. Then sometime shortly thereafter, someone bought it, because I noticed some bumper parts laying on the traffic island at the same intersection...

"If I had a rocket launcher, some SOB would die..." Bruce Cockburn

Driving along on the Interstate yesterday a sign says "left lane closed in 2 miles due to road construction". After about a mile, 70 to 80% of the cars have moved over to the right lane to "get in line and wait their turn". The other 20 to 30% have raced ahead in the left lane to "get ahead" and they wait till the last minute to move over. They cause the traffic jam more so than the construction.:mad:

Actually, filling in the lane right up to the merge point it the recommended method. They should post signs to this effect to avoid road range against those of us who decide to do it the right way.

Think about it - there is a limited amount of roadway, correct? So drivers should use all the roadway that is available. Merging early, and leaving that left lane open is simply under-utilizing a limited resource, and causing traffic to back up further than it would otherwise.

Some back up:

Zipper Merge

What is a zipper merge?

When a lane is closed in a construction zone, a zipper merge occurs when motorists use both lanes of traffic until reaching the defined merge area, and then alternate in "zipper" fashion into the open lane.

Zipper merge vs. early merge

When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

So I'm supposed to merge late?

Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. ...

So go back and give a big smile and a 'Thank You' to those drivers you were cussing out! :LOL:

So I'll add a pet-peeve - people who get mad at efficient drivers who understand it is best to merge late!

-ERD50

Last edited:
Then why does it say merge to the right 2 miles before? And why do most people move over early? Maybe you are right and the 70 to 80% are wrong.

i recall a NYT guest Op-Ed on lane merging. It was specific to a NYC tunnel but the practice was the same, and the writer was boasting that he merged when his lane ran out of space. According to a subsequent post by the NYT Public Editor, it caused a record number of responses. He said they were about equal in view; 1/3 wrote that the lane being closed should be used to the end, 1/3 thought drivers should move to one lane as soon as possible, the rest didn't really care.

LEOs, interviewed for the article and writing in, all expressed a similar thought. Using the lane to the very end was not a violation, and this was one of the primary causes of road rage incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom