What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on this.
I walk my dogs leashed around my property as well in some great state and regional parks, where there are clearly marked signs stating "all dogs must be on leash at all times". But every time I'm at a part here comes a large off leash dog at least 50 feet in front of the idiot owner.
I don't care if people think their dogs are "friendly", no one knows what might trigger a dog to become aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm also with you on this....I've can quickly think of 4 people (1 adult, 3 kids) who were bitten by "good dogs" that had "never bit anyone before". And no, the kids had not provoked them..... Two were serious enough to require surgery and still left scars. I've had dogs all my life and love them - but some people are incredibly irresponsible.

I also get annoyed with all the dog owners who go to dog parks, rest areas, picnic areas, etc and allow their dog to "do their business" and then just walk away. Because the rest of us want to eat our lunch sitting next to dog crap or have to hop, skip, and jump around the 20+ piles that people have left behind. We travel a lot and I have seen this everywhere. I swear DH spends more time cleaning up after other dogs when we go to a dog park than he does playing with our pup.....

I'm with you on this.
I walk my dogs leashed around my property as well in some great state and regional parks, where there are clearly marked signs stating "all dogs must be on leash at all times". But every time I'm at a part here comes a large off leash dog at least 50 feet in front of the idiot owner.
I don't care if people think their dogs are "friendly", no one knows what might trigger a dog to become aggressive.

I also carry Halt with me when I walk the dog. It stops aggressive dogs quickly without hurting them. The owners get mad, though. I have another can of pepper spray formulated for humans.

ARI - Safety Products for the Utility Industry

I also carry Halt with me when I walk the dog. It stops aggressive dogs quickly without hurting them. The owners get mad, though. I have another can of pepper spray formulated for humans.

ARI - Safety Products for the Utility Industry

Does this work? I think I will order some. I worry about attacks constantly.

The courteous thing to do would be for the biker to pull off the road but legally they have the same rights as any other vehicle. Legally the car going in the same direction as the bike needs to slow down until it's safe to pass. I've seen many people who have a complete disregard of the bicyclists rights to use the road. Ideally there's a separate bike lane, but if not, it's their road too.

Twenty something years ago I was bicyclist in this scenario. The passenger side mirror of the car traveling in the same direction clipped my handle bar sending me flying...haven't ridden a bike since.

Charge checks. Never used one. Never will. But over the decades I must have been sent thousands.

Does this work? I think I will order some. I worry about attacks constantly. ............

Yes, it works. It shoots a yellow stream about 6 to 8 feet. The dogs don't yelp but instantly turn tail and go home. When they get there, they wipe their faces with their paws, which is when the owners come after you asking, "what did you do to my baby?" :facepalm:

Yes, it works. It shoots a yellow stream about 6 to 8 feet. The dogs don't yelp but instantly turn tail and go home. When they get there, they wipe their faces with their paws, which is when the owners come after you asking, "what did you do to my baby?" :facepalm:

I never heard of it but just looked it up on Amazon. Thanks. I usually carry a regular human pepper spray canister but I really don't know how it affects dogs. I am afraid if I spray somebody's dog he will "feel threatened" and "Stand his ground" and draw on me. So, I'd like to repel the dog without a lot of "comosh'" or I'll have to shoot the owner

I used Halt for years when I was a long distance runner. Great stuff! I wouldn't leave home without it!

Pet Peeve of the day...I need to purchase a chainsaw and weed string trimmer. I have recently seen a lot of TV ads for Stihl Dealer Days and have seen the Stihl website....Checked with local Stihl dealer and am advised no chainsaws are string trimmers are included in the Stihl Dealer Days promotion.

That is strange since quoting from the website..."Your local STIHL Dealer has great prices on the most essential outdoor equipment, like chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, multi-tasking tools and more! Reserve products online with STIHL Express and they’ll be ready for you to pick up – assembled, fueled and ready to run. Enter your zip code to find a Dealer near you."

I contacted two different local Stihl dealers and both said the trimmers and chainsaws are NOT discounted during this years Stihl Dealer Days.:mad:

My peeve is too many topics that assume everyone is in the US. Maybe we should have a special category for US discussions like Medicare, LTC, shopping online...

And then general categories that affect worldwide retirees equally.

My peeve is too many topics that assume everyone is in the US. Maybe we should have a special category for US discussions like Medicare, LTC, shopping online...

And then general categories that affect worldwide retirees equally.

+1

Pet Peeve of the day...I need to purchase a chainsaw and weed string trimmer. I have recently seen a lot of TV ads for Stihl Dealer Days and have seen the Stihl website....Checked with local Stihl dealer and am advised no chainsaws are string trimmers are included in the Stihl Dealer Days promotion.

That is strange since quoting from the website..."Your local STIHL Dealer has great prices on the most essential outdoor equipment, like chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, multi-tasking tools and more! Reserve products online with STIHL Express and they’ll be ready for you to pick up – assembled, fueled and ready to run. Enter your zip code to find a Dealer near you."

I contacted two different local Stihl dealers and both said the trimmers and chainsaws are NOT discounted during this years Stihl Dealer Days.:mad:

They have a nice Facebook page.😈

🐑

As the state of Texas deems license plates to be unusable after 7 years, had to install the new set on DH's van. Got out my nifty new set of wrenches and figured out that the back plate had 10mm bolts. Old plate off, new plate on, go to the front with the 10mm wrench. No dice. WTF? Checked a few sizes and found that the first bolt was ⅜". Get the top two off and go to the bottom and - you've got to be kidding me. Those two were 10mm bolts. What idiots at the dealer did this to start with:confused:

Darn glad I decided to get both metric and English when I bought the wrenches.

Haha. Thanks, going to order some.

I'd add that they owe me $X for that can of spray.

What's the fine for a dog off the leash? Could you video and report them? Or use that as leverage for them to reimburse you. If it weren't for them, you would not have had to buy the can of spray. Seems more than fair.

-ERD50

Very dark tinted windows in cars/trucks. Occupant is too special for mortals to gaze upon.

Our county used to offer five electronics recycling events each year during the warmer months. Now for "reasons beyond their control" there won't be anymore. People will just start dumping that stuff in the trash again.

When young people are rude or impatient to elderly folks.
The other day at a drug store I was in line behind a woman who was probably in her 80's- she was digging out change to give to the clerk who was rolling her eyes and smirking with another worker.
I wanted to grab her by the hair and slam her face on the counter, but I don't look good in orange jumpsuits.

When young people are rude or impatient to elderly folks.
The other day at a drug store I was in line behind a woman who was probably in her 80's- she was digging out change to give to the clerk who was rolling her eyes and smirking with another worker.
I wanted to grab her by the hair and slam her face on the counter, but I don't look good in orange jumpsuits.

Bolded sentence is definitely a finalist for e-r.org's "best comment ever" imaginary competition.

Our county used to offer five electronics recycling events each year during the warmer months. Now for "reasons beyond their control" there won't be anymore. People will just start dumping that stuff in the trash again.

Our county is weird about this also. I went to a few of these, and you can end up waiting in line.

But if you search around (they didn't make it easy), you find there are places that you can drop off 9-5 any weekday, and maybe limited hours on Sat. No special 'event', just drop it off. Maybe there are some in your area?

Also, places like Home Depot take CFLs, and rechargeable batteries. Best Buy will take all sorts of electronics.

I'm still looking for a place to take a smoke detector. They have trace amounts of radioactive stuff, and the only thing I can find is 'contact the manufacturer to arrange for shipping it back to them'. OK, how many people are going to do that? They will end up in the trash. I threw it in my trunk, been meaning to stop by a fire dept, to see if they will take it.

They really have to make this easy - especially for busy working people with limited time for this.

-ERD50

My local Best Buy takes electronics for recycling at the service counter. Home Depot takes CFL bulbs and batteries in a drop box by the door.

Not really a peeve but more of an absurdity. I noticed this on DW's Visa card bill that came yesterday. Why do they bother sending a bill when there is a zero balance, and if we're late sending a payment for $0.00, will we really have to pay a late payment fee? Of course not, but that's what it sounds like.

Attachments

• Absurd.jpg
    Absurd.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 13
Home Depot takes CFL bulbs and batteries in a drop box by the door.
I was at Lowes last week to drop off some dead CFLs and noticed the chute was full and backed up. I notified an employee, he came over, opened the door to the bin and pulled out a 5 gallon bucket that is supposed to catch the bulbs (no padding or anything to impede their 3 foot drop into the bucket and the bulbs already there). The bucket was overfilled by about a dozen bulbs, and he didn't seem too concerned when 3-4 bulbs (not in baggies) broke after falling to the bottom of the metal bin. I stuck around only long enough to mention to a supervisor that the CFLs have mercury in them that needed to be cleaned up properly, and that the mercury vapor in the bulbs was none too healthy to breathe. :blush:

Last edited:
When a customer service person calls a recreatable problem a "glitch" and wants to give you every workaround they can think of or make up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom