What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a post office near me that always, and I mean always, is occupied with people getting passports. It screws up anyone else going there to use the place like a regular post office. I will be so happy when I retire and move to somewhere / anywhere where I can go into a P.O. and easily send off packages.

Suffering through made up corporate words.

Am in a 2 day workshop and the hired consultants keep using stupid, made up words... can't tell you how many times today I've rolled my eyes.

The one I despise the most is "pivot". As in, "we're pivoting to our next topic"... sigh.

Suffering through made up corporate words.

Am in a 2 day workshop and the hired consultants keep using stupid, made up words... can't tell you how many times today I've rolled my eyes.

The one I despise the most is "pivot". As in, "we're pivoting to our next topic"... sigh.

That kind of talk could make one undergo a "paradigm shift" or "hit he ground running." :LOL:

I feel for you.

Having a post office near me that always, and I mean always, is occupied with people getting passports. It screws up anyone else going there to use the place like a regular post office. I will be so happy when I retire and move to somewhere / anywhere where I can go into a P.O. and easily send off packages.

Speaking of the post office... Our mail carrier literally screws up every single day. This guy is always putting the neighbor's Mail in my box and my mail in the neighbor's. One day he was off by a box on the entire neighborhood. Everyone on the street had to go the house on the right and pass the mail down. I wonder how much of my mail never makes it way to me... I called the local office to file a complaint, the postmaster told me I could file a complaint at USPS.com, I just hung up and cried :facepalm:

Speaking of the post office... Our mail carrier literally screws up every single day. This guy is always putting the neighbor's Mail in my box and my mail in the neighbor's. One day he was off by a box on the entire neighborhood. Everyone on the street had to go the house on the right and pass the mail down. I wonder how much of my mail never makes it way to me... I called the local office to file a complaint, the postmaster told me I could file a complaint at USPS.com, I just hung up and cried :facepalm:

just tell him his tips will suffer if he keeps f'ing up. That should do it.

Gosh, my mail service is great. Fast efficient, the USPS is great.

Where do you people live? Outer Mongolia?

You could try this story about the Canadian Post Office, it's almost true:

A guy goes into the Canada Post Office to apply for a job. The interviewer asks him, "Are you allergic to anything?"

He replies, "Yes, caffeine. I can't drink coffee."

"Ok, Have you ever been in the military service?"

"Yes," he says, "I was in Afghanistan for one tour."

The interviewer says, "That will give you five extra points toward employment." Then he asks, "Are you disabled in any way?"

The guy says, "Yes. A bomb exploded near me and I lost both my testicles."

The interviewer grimaces and then says, "Disabled in your country's service! Well, that qualifies for extra bonus points. Okay. Looking at the regulations you have got enough points for me to hire you right now. Our normal hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You can start tomorrow at 10:00 am, and plan on starting at 10:00 am every day."

The guy is puzzled and asks, "If the work hours are from 8:00 am to 4:00 PM, why don't you want me here until 10:00 am?"

"This is a government job," the interviewer says. "For the first two hours, we just stand around drinking coffee and scratching our balls.

No point in you coming in for that."

People who do not use "ly" on their adverbs... this is especially annoying when journalists do it.

A gift under $20 is fine. Cash is actually against federal law.

A standing ovation for any and all performances. I'm so old that I can remember when it was truly a show of exceptional appreciation. Now it is a mandatory part of applause.

A standing ovation for any and all performances. I'm so old that I can remember when it was truly a show of exceptional appreciation. Now it is a mandatory part of applause.

That, and the fake encore that follows...

The gentleman that couldn't merge at 55 MPH. I'd slowed down to allow him over but he wouldn't merge. At 35 MPH I took off. Looking back in the rear view mirror it became clear, he was too busy talking on his phone to drive! :banghead::banghead:

Family that come from out of town, and tell everyone but us when they are going to be here, and we're the black sheep because we aren't able to participate in every single activity they have planned.

No standing ovation stuff around here, thankfully.

What irks me is when the band is doing a cover of some famous song and the singer just has to alter the melody a little bit, which always sucks . Why? Does he/she think we want the melody changed?

No standing ovation stuff around here, thankfully.

What irks me is when the band is doing a cover of some famous song and the singer just has to alter the melody a little bit, which always sucks . Why? Does he/she think we want the melody changed?

Different strokes - I want to hear a band change things up a bit (or even a lot!). If I want to listen to the recorded version I can do that. I want to hear what they can do to shake things up and show off their talents. Playing it straight is boring, IMO.

That said, I do think some of Dylan's live recordings were just change for the sake of change. Love Dylan, but some of those are just weird, like he got bored and just decided to do something, anything.

I also hate the forced standing ovation and planned encore. It used to be you had to earn the SO and encore requests, and then the encore was often something way outside the normal repertoire, a chance for the artist to maybe show off a different side. They approached it like, OK, you got your money's worth for the show, now just a little icing on the cake. But now, it's just part of the show.

I recall seeing a Grammy award winning trumpet player at a local college show. I forget his name offhand, but a top talent, and the show was fantastic. His last song, he just threw everything into it, it was amazing, full of energy and lots of fast. high notes - really stretching it. I felt embarrassed that the crowd wanted an encore - couldn't they see he just gave it all he had?

Heck, I saw Ian Anderson a while back - the papers reviewing the tour announce that they do 'Locomotive Breath' as the encore on this tour. So much for spontaneity. :(

-ERD50

Last edited:
When people type "LOL" at the end of a post.

As if they are really laughing out loud?

It reads more like "and my reply to your post is to really mock your silliness"

When people type "LOL" at the end of a post.

As if they are really laughing out loud?

It reads more like "and my reply to your post is to really mock your silliness"

Well, I have literally (yes, literally, not figuratively - misusing those is a pet-peeve of mine) 'laughed out loud' at some comments here, and have let the poster know that I appreciated their sick, twisted humor with a "LOL"!.

I'll guess I'm not alone.

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom