What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Sun Lakes, AZ it seems most old coots that reach age 65 feel they deserve a handicap sticker or hanger. They have no problems parking in handicap spots. Leaving no room for the truely disabled, or truely handicaped people .
I would volenteer for free to give out tickets to these a**holes.

In Sun Lakes, AZ it seems most old coots that reach age 65 feel they deserve a handicap sticker or hanger. They have no problems parking in handicap spots. Leaving no room for the truely disabled, or truely handicaped people .

I've spoken to them sometimes. One guy, totally fit and healthy, parks in the only handicapped spot. I said "You don't look very handicapped." His reply: "Oh, it's okay. My wife is handicapped."

While there are a lot of very inconsiderate people who park in handicap spots illegally, you can't always tell just by looking at them. Both of my parents have handicap hangers even though you may not see them as handicapped just by looking at them walk into a store. My dad looks young for his age and other than being a bit overweight looks fairly healthy. He has very bad Afib and sometimes can't even walk to the mailbox without having his heart start to race to 200 beats a minute. My mom looks healthy but she has severe and permanent shoulder pain. Even with morphine, every step she talks is agony. They both look healthy but are disabled and deserve a handicap sticker.

I still have a problem with people leaving their motors running.

The other day someone had his (on-diesel) Toyota Tacoma motor running the whole time his wife was shopping in the grocery store. We wasn't running the AC, the windows were open.

Rarely do people turn off their engines in the drive-thru lane or while waiting for road construction.

What gets me is that people do it simply out of ignorance. People think it takes more gas to stop and start the car, but that hasn't been true for decades. They think they need to charge their devices, or that it's good for the car.

https://www.edf.org/climate/reports/idling

My pet peeve is people who feel the need to police handicap parking and glare at people they consider not handicapped enough . A lot of handicaps are not visible and you may be glaring at a very sick person.

My pet peeve is people who live in close proximity to others and make no effort to keep noise down. The neighbors next door, on the other side of a thin wall, are a mother and adult daughter. Every time they get up from the toilet they let the seat slam down. It's so loud that it wakes me up even with ear plugs in. If i'm watching a movie with ear buds in I can still hear them slam the seat. Why? I manage to get up from the toilet once a day without EVER slamming the seat. They also slam the door every time they leave. No one else does this.

Yesterday I made a grocery run and watched a woman use her parking spot as a garbage dumping ground, then drove off.

Really?

I still have a problem with people leaving their motors running.

The other day someone had his (on-diesel) Toyota Tacoma motor running the whole time his wife was shopping in the grocery store. We wasn't running the AC, the windows were open.

Rarely do people turn off their engines in the drive-thru lane or while waiting for road construction.

What gets me is that people do it simply out of ignorance. People think it takes more gas to stop and start the car, but that hasn't been true for decades. They think they need to charge their devices, or that it's good for the car.

https://www.edf.org/climate/reports/idling

I'll agree with you on not running it while parked, but it just isn't safe to turn off a car in traffic (OK, unless the road has pretty much turned into a parking lot, you are locked in and no one is moving).

I've avoided a couple crashes by being able to accelerate and move out of the way. If I had to start the car first, I would have been hit.

I really question the numbers in that article.

Turn off your ignition if you’re waiting more than 10 seconds
Really?

and

Frequent restarts are no longer hard on a car’s engine and battery. The added wear (which amounts to no more than $10 a year) is much less costly than the cost of fuel saved (which can add up to $70-650 a year, depending on fuel prices, idling habits and vehicle type). Idling actually increases overall engine wear by causing the car to operate for longer than necessary.

Which is it - restarting increases wear by $10/year, or 'Idling actually increases overall engine wear'? Those are contradictory. And $70-$650 per year in fuel savings? 'Depending' is a pretty big 'depending'. The low end is about 6% of my annual fuel costs, I can't imagine saving that much by shutting off any more than I do now (I do not shut off in traffic, and I will occasionally keep it running while parked for the A/C if I'm waiting for someone). We occasionally get stick at a very long freight train crossing, I keep it running. What if that $10 average per year wear is due to 1 in 100 added starter replacements, and I'm the one who needs the starter replaced? Or a 1/1000 ring gear replacement? I prefer not to take the chance of added starts, unless more than a few minutes.

-ERD50

Last edited:
My pet peeve is people who live in close proximity to others and make no effort to keep noise down. The neighbors next door, on the other side of a thin wall, are a mother and adult daughter. Every time they get up from the toilet they let the seat slam down. It's so loud that it wakes me up even with ear plugs in. If i'm watching a movie with ear buds in I can still hear them slam the seat. Why? I manage to get up from the toilet once a day without EVER slamming the seat. They also slam the door every time they leave. No one else does this.

My suggestion is to leave them a gift of one of those toilet seats that slowly closes on their doorstep. Sorry, can't help with door slamming.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My suggestion is to leave them a gift of one of those toilet seats that slowly closes on their doorstep. Sorry, can't help with door slamming.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I don't think that would help. It's a female-only household that lives next door so I assume the seat is always down. I assume it's sticking to hem when they get up and then when it releases from their skin it slams down. Shouldn't be too difficult to prevent that from happening.

Excessive politeness annoys me when it defeats its own purpose.

For example, people going into the building ahead of me at w*rk who hold the door open when I'm more than 15 or so steps away.

(1) It makes me feel like I have to hurry so I don't make them stand there holding the door too long. Hey, it's early Monday morning and I'm moving slow. Don't make me run, ok?

(2) It's a secured entrance and we're supposed to open the door with our own cards, not "tailgate" others through the door.

Today it's women/girls who wear perfume in the gym. I am not talking about someone who might hit the gym after w%$k and have lingering perfume--I go to the gym at 5:30 am and there are a few women who come in wearing full make up, false eyelashes and perfume. Had to abandon the treadmill this am because the fragrance was so strong.

Today it's women/girls who wear perfume in the gym. I am not talking about someone who might hit the gym after w%$k and have lingering perfume--I go to the gym at 5:30 am and there are a few women who come in wearing full make up, false eyelashes and perfume. Had to abandon the treadmill this am because the fragrance was so strong.

I was in an aerobics class once and one woman, in addition to the makeup-perfume combo, was wearing 5 inch hoop earrings and 3 inch heels! Why?!?

Another gym peeve is the people on the treadmill who motivate themselves by shouting encouragements out loud. Hey buddy, I'm glad you are doing well but could you maybe just think good thoughts instead? It's tough to zone out when I keep hearing "come on! You can do it!" from the next treadmill.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

........It's tough to zone out when I keep hearing "come on! You can do it!" from the next treadmill. .............

Yea, I hear those same comments from the folks in the upstairs apartment.

Gym peeves!

Folks who use the squat rack to do curls.

Women who lounge around on the bench in the locker room fiddling with their smartphones. HELLO, people would like to use that bench while getting dressed, and also the sign says that phones with cameras are prohibited in the locker room!

OK... one just happened to me....

A door to door salesman that will not take NO for an answer... when it is a call (which is another peeve... the no call list does not work) I just ignore it...

But, the guy at the door you usually answer... I step out so the cats do not get out... they ask their question and I politely say 'not interested'... then they try something else... 'no, still not' as I am opening the door to go back inside... and they continue to try and sell something!!! REALLY, how many people open the door back up and say 'OH, sure I will buy your crap'....

And especially when I was just about to fall into a good nap....

Mine is people making U turns on red lights! Saw three cars do this the other day and it really isn't unusual in Georgia. This is the only place I have lived that I have seen it regularly.

Mine is people making U turns on red lights! Saw three cars do this the other day and it really isn't unusual in Georgia. This is the only place I have lived that I have seen it regularly.
Well, I mean it's not like you're driving across the intersection or anything. You're just using a little unused bit of it for a moment.;)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that, aside from police cars. Turn flashing lights on, U-turn to [-]get to the doughnut shop[/-] catch a speeder.

It might have to do with the law... maybe you are not running a red light unless you actually go through the intersection....

I know here when they had the red light cameras that they sent people who made right turns on a red a ticket even if they had not stopped... but then found out that the law was written in such a way that making the turn even after the red was not illegal (enough?)... I think they have changed it.... not sure...

A door to door salesman that will not take NO for an answer...

But, the guy at the door you usually answer... I step out so the cats do not get out... they ask their question and I politely say 'not interested'... then they try something else... 'no, still not' as I am opening the door to go back inside... and they continue to try and sell something!!! REALLY, how many people open the door back up and say 'OH, sure I will buy your crap'....

A work colleague told me of his neighbor, a retired ex-cop, was visited by a door-to-door salesman who said he was selling magazine subscriptions and held out a rather worn-looking brochure of magazines. While the "salesman" was dressed in a short sleeved shirt, slacks, and sneakers, he was holding his left hand behind his back. When the homeowner tried to see what the salesman was concealing, the stranger slightly turned his body so his hand could not be seen. At that point the homeowner retrieved his service revolver he kept behind the front door, pointed it at the stranger, and demanded he show what was in his concealed hand. The stranger produced a 7 inch dagger/slicing knife. The stranger was held at gunpoint until the police arrived. You just never know . . .

Stopped at a food store on the way home and saw 2 women (50ish) in the produce department eating cherries out of the packages. I was shocked and said "you can't eat those without paying for them, it's stealing." They said "no it wasn't that everyone does it." I walked away. Saw them later taking samples from the bulk candy aisle. These were also people that thought it was okay to block the entire aisle with their cart. What is wrong with people that they think this isn't stealing?

Was at Torrey Pines State Park (again) walking the trails for my cardio workout.

There are several scenic overlooks for people to stop, enjoy the view, take in the vistas, be in the moment.

All shattered and ripped to rude reality by a group blasting their iPhones so that *everyone* within a hundred feet could share in their 'me' moment.

I had to find a bend in the trail behind a large outcropping to get away from sound.

It wouldn't have mattered if they were blaring my favorite group or song - for places like a state park with shared trails - please jam your earbuds in your ears and let the rest of us walk in quiet.

My pet peeve of the day is people who put public safety at risk.

The Rock Creek wildfire is about two hours driving time from where I live. It is currently over 4000 hectares and is burning out of control. It's believed to have started close to the highway by a cigarette tossed from a vehicle. To date, it has burned 30 homes.

Not far away in Oliver, at the Testalinden Creek fire, firefighting aircraft had to be grounded for five hours because someone was recording the action with a drone.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

B.C. wildfires: Rock Creek fire smoke challenging firefighters - British Columbia - CBC News

Stopped at a food store on the way home and saw 2 women (50ish) in the produce department eating cherries out of the packages. I was shocked and said "you can't eat those without paying for them, it's stealing." They said "no it wasn't that everyone does it." I walked away. Saw them later taking samples from the bulk candy aisle. These were also people that thought it was okay to block the entire aisle with their cart. What is wrong with people that they think this isn't stealing?

They sound like your basic genuine slobs. :(

OK... had something else come up this morning that just got to me...

I need to get my tires rotated... when I went to them the other day it was a 2 hour wait... I said I could not do it today, but I live 5 minutes and would like to be able to get in line and come before you do the work... the guy gave me the number and said call us and I will put you in line...

So, this morning I call and he said it was 45 minutes to an hour, but he would put me in line and I could come in about 30 minutes. So, 30 minutes later I show up. They said it was about an hour wait since I was not scheduled... OK, but I called and scheduled... so the new guy said he would put my name down and I could come in 40 minutes...

SOOO, I come in 40 minutes and am told, it will be about an hour wait.. WTF!!! I was here 40 minutes ago when I was told an hour wait... why do I have to wait for all the people that came AFTER me? I was then told that even if I HAD AN APPOINTMENT I would have to wait about 45 minutes to an hour before they would get to me...

Then why in the heck (read a different word there) do you even have appointment times:confused:

This is Discount Tires... they have better prices and I have already bought these tires from them and this is just a free rebalance and rotation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom