What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this market hysteria everywhere, my pet peeve is that there is no good replacement for Luis Rukeyser and Wall Street Week.

I'll add that my pet peeve is the hype around the market drop. The media loves the 1000 point dow drop, since it's been the biggest. But percentage wise, not even close. And then they mention it was "scary."

We should all be very scared, but don't forget to put in the buy orders!

Kind of sad story. And a peeve about sloth.

About 20 minutes into my warmup this morning, a boy about 8 or 10 comes into the large area where I do my workouts, nice rubberized floor about 50x35 foot area. It is free time in the area for about 4 hours in the mornings for whatever.

The kid picks up a ball carries it to a row of chairs against the wall, sits down, puts one foot on the ball, whips out an electronic gizmo of some sort. Places it on his now raised knee. Proceeds to tapping away at it, all hunched over for around 15 minutes, the leaves. I could not help noticing it while continuing with my workout.

45 minutes or so later when I was done, heading to the dressing room, passed another area which has interactive exercise stuff, with video screens, saw the same kid with another boy sitting on their butts poking away at the aforementioned hand held video devices.

He and the other kid were both a bit pudgy, presume they'll be a fat asses in no time at all.

About 20 minutes into my warmup this morning, a boy about 8 or 10 comes into the large area where I do my workouts, nice rubberized floor about 50x35 foot area. It is free time in the area for about 4 hours in the mornings for whatever.

The kid picks up a ball carries it to a row of chairs against the wall, sits down, puts one foot on the ball, whips out an electronic gizmo of some sort. Places it on his now raised knee. Proceeds to tapping away at it, all hunched over for around 15 minutes, the leaves. I could not help noticing it while continuing with my workout.

45 minutes or so later when I was done, heading to the dressing room, passed another area which has interactive exercise stuff, with video screens, saw the same kid with another boy sitting on their butts poking away at the aforementioned hand held video devices.

He and the other kid were both a bit pudgy, presume they'll be a fat asses in no time at all.

Scary.

Wild Irish Rogue

Here is mine for today (and forever) -- people with off leash dogs walking or running.

I know that Fido loves to run off leash. And I know you think your dog is special and will recall back to you 100% of the time but guess what, you are wrong.

And of course they holler "oh Fido is friendly don't worry" and then as soon as an on leash dog sees Fido running toward him or her and gets agitated Fido gets defensive and we have a huge problem. Then it's "oh gee Fido has never done that".

Wild Irish Rogue

Here is mine for today (and forever) -- people with off leash dogs walking or running.

I know that Fido loves to run off leash. And I know you think your dog is special and will recall back to you 100% of the time but guess what, you are wrong.

And of course they holler "oh Fido is friendly don't worry" and then as soon as an on leash dog sees Fido running toward him or her and gets agitated Fido gets defensive and we have a huge problem. Then it's "oh gee Fido has never done that".

Wild Irish Rogue

That is why I carry Halt. And Mace for the offended owners.

I do now as well. Have you ever used either?

Wild Irish Rogue

The Halt a number of times. The dogs just turn and leave. The owners are furious, but I've never had to Mace them, though some words have been exchanged.

Today, at 5:10 AM, two middle aged women came walking through the neighborhood (their new morning walk route?) yakking away at full volume. They decided to stop in front of our house and admire the view, still jabbering loudly like it was 2 in the afternoon.

When I shouted out the window "Trying to sleep here!", they just said "Good morning!!" cheerfully and kept on talking.

Going to get some Mace, I think.

Yes, it's a sad story. But my pet peeve is when someone feels the need to denigrate someone else, even if it's not directly to their face. I'm sure there are people here who are heavy or are close to someone who is heavy. Guess what? They have feelings too. We can't know everyone's life story, so there's no need to throw insults, especially in a forum with a wide variety of readers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

On a completely different note...

My pet peeve for the day is that not even gold shimmers these last few trading days.

Yes, it's a sad story. But my pet peeve is when someone feels the need to denigrate someone else, even if it's not directly to their face. I'm sure there are people here who are heavy or are close to someone who is heavy. Guess what? They have feelings too. We can't know everyone's life story, so there's no need to throw insults, especially in a forum with a wide variety of readers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

FWIW I have two nieces who are 5x5, as are two SILs. You are rirght I can not know everyone's life story. I do know the aforementioned 4 folks'.

So you can have your pet peeve, and I shall keep mine.

DW will tell you I have way too many "peeves" to narrow it down to just one "pet." But, today's "pet" is really-stupid "smart lights." I've studied several at length (as I am either caught by them for no apparent reason or not allowed to travel when there is no traffic for blocks from the other direction.)

If I have told this story, please forgive my addled brain. We often travel a multi-mile stretch of a coast road which has perhaps 15 traffic lights. (There is NO alternate route other than going 25 miles the other direction.) Each light is set to allow cross traffic to stop 6 lanes of traffic (3 each way) so that perhaps one, two, maybe 3 cars can cross with a left-hand turn or, (less likely) go straight across the 6 lanes. Now, I'm not suggesting that folks at the relativley less-used cross streets do not have a right to get out. No, my "peeve" is that under some traffic conditions, the light allowing them to cross or turn left "waits" until the 6 lanes of traffic arrive at the light from the LAST such interruption. IOW, "smart" is a relative term. EACH light knows when a car or two have waited a "fair" amount of time before being allowed to interrupt 6 lanes of traffic. BUT none of the "smart" light have a clue as to the actual traffic conditions on the 6 lanes of traffic. So, you might travel the entire 15 lights on the 6 lane and be stopped by EVERY traffic light. I don't think that has happened to me, but, by actual count, i have been stopped by all but 2 of the lights on this stretch. At times - when traffic is just "right", it may be that the cross-traffic light catch me only 2 or 3 times in the stretch.

To emphasize the stupidity of these "smart" lights, I'll share a story which happened a couple of years ago. A not atypical wide-area power outage occurred on the island. The 6 lane road in question lost EVERY traffic light (not even a blinking yellow/blinking red situation - just DEAD, dead, dead.) We traversed the distance 5 minutes faster than EVER before (out of a typical 15 to 20 minute time). Now, you might think "Of course! If cross traffic never gets to cross, then the main highway will go much faster." What actually happened was that folks on the 6 lane would see two or three cars bunched at a cross street and slow or even stop to let them cross. I saw zero cars "stuck" at cross streets. The section of road "managed" itself without the lights and traffic moved way faster - even for those crossing the road! My conclusion is/was that "smart" lights only work if smart people design and MONITOR them. Otherwise, it is hit or miss and more often "miss" in my experience. Of course, YMMV.

Wild Irish Rogue

I agree. My wife had a severe ankle break with 2 operations due to off-leashed dog. :(

Pet peeve for too many days out of each month is the "unsubscribe" request.

Yes, I stayed in an omni hotel, but I don't need a personal note from the ceo. Wait, didn't I unsubscribe from these unrequested emails already? Or maybe that was the airline company. No, I'm sure it was this hotel. I was getting several emails every week inviting me to places i have no intention of going.

This experience tells me that the company has systems that don't work properly. Or maybe unsubscribe from all means something else in SAP systems? Might mean, "send this person all marketing."

Silver lining is that I have something to post about here!

Phone etiquette.

Someone calls *me*.

I answer and say "Hello?"

And at the other end I get "Hello:confused:"

Ummm....you called ME - who are you?

Shouldn't the caller ID themselves after you say Hello?

Shouldn't the caller ID themselves after you say Hello?
Yes, absolutely. Maybe people assume everyone uses a smartphone, has all acquaintances in their "contacts", thus knows who is calling. In truth, with lowered audio quality on cell phones vs landlines, it's even harder to tell people by voice now. But this was always rude behavior, and I have no problem asking outright "who is calling me?".

DW will tell you I have way too many "peeves" to narrow it down to just one "pet." But, today's "pet" is really-stupid "smart lights." I've studied several at length (as I am either caught by them for no apparent reason or not allowed to travel when there is no traffic for blocks from the other direction.)

If I have told this story, please forgive my addled brain. We often travel a multi-mile stretch of a coast road which has perhaps 15 traffic lights. (There is NO alternate route other than going 25 miles the other direction.) Each light is set to allow cross traffic to stop 6 lanes of traffic (3 each way) so that perhaps one, two, maybe 3 cars can cross with a left-hand turn or, (less likely) go straight across the 6 lanes. Now, I'm not suggesting that folks at the relativley less-used cross streets do not have a right to get out. No, my "peeve" is that under some traffic conditions, the light allowing them to cross or turn left "waits" until the 6 lanes of traffic arrive at the light from the LAST such interruption. IOW, "smart" is a relative term. EACH light knows when a car or two have waited a "fair" amount of time before being allowed to interrupt 6 lanes of traffic. BUT none of the "smart" light have a clue as to the actual traffic conditions on the 6 lanes of traffic. So, you might travel the entire 15 lights on the 6 lane and be stopped by EVERY traffic light. I don't think that has happened to me, but, by actual count, i have been stopped by all but 2 of the lights on this stretch. At times - when traffic is just "right", it may be that the cross-traffic light catch me only 2 or 3 times in the stretch.

To emphasize the stupidity of these "smart" lights, I'll share a story which happened a couple of years ago. A not atypical wide-area power outage occurred on the island. The 6 lane road in question lost EVERY traffic light (not even a blinking yellow/blinking red situation - just DEAD, dead, dead.) We traversed the distance 5 minutes faster than EVER before (out of a typical 15 to 20 minute time). Now, you might think "Of course! If cross traffic never gets to cross, then the main highway will go much faster." What actually happened was that folks on the 6 lane would see two or three cars bunched at a cross street and slow or even stop to let them cross. I saw zero cars "stuck" at cross streets. The section of road "managed" itself without the lights and traffic moved way faster - even for those crossing the road! My conclusion is/was that "smart" lights only work if smart people design and MONITOR them. Otherwise, it is hit or miss and more often "miss" in my experience. Of course, YMMV.

I share your outrage. My peeve is that on some multi-light roads you get every red light UNLESS you exceed the speed limit by about 5 to 10 mph. So you risk getting a ticket if you want to make the lights.

If you're going too slow for the old guy in the Prius, you're going too slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom