What would you say to an 18 year old you?

Even as late as the 1990's, your career will be negatively affected by sex discrimination in a Fortune 50 company. Carefully document what is happening and sue the bastards!

I'd say to my 18yo self: boy you sure screwed up, did not choose your parents well. Now get on and deal with it.

Set a high aspiration level and never underestimate your abilities or what you can achieve. Treat others the way you would want to be treated and don't sweat the small stuff.

I would say, "move to a better climate area (than Northern Ohio), and take some chances with investing, start up your own business, and stay away from the dope, and the dopes (dopehead friends).

No reason for a college degree if you make your own way !

Keep doing what you're doing - stay in college, get your degree. But maybe think more about possibly going grad school. Oh, and that girl you're going to meet late in your junior year? You guys really don't need to take a job in the same city after graduation and certainly not in the same company.

Dear 18 year old me,

you know you are not mature or responsible enough to handle a 4 year university right now. Go to junior college for a few years and get yourself together.

My dearest Grandparents offered me a full ride to college and with pressure from my parents I was convinced it's what I had to do. I wasted 2 years of their funds with failing grades and late nights before I left hanging my head. It wasn't until I spent a few years on a forklift that I decided that wasn't the life I wanted. I put myself through college the second time and graduated with a 3.85. I never missed a day or an assignment once the money and responsibility was on me. Everyone is different and has their own story to tell but I wasted a tremendous opportunity because I didn't have the courage to admit I wasn't ready.

Personally, I think your grandparents STILL did you a great favor, as you learned a lot along the way of screwing up. IMO, they would be proud.

If I had kept a detailed journal, I would say, "here, read my/your journal and avoid all the stupid mistakes I/you wrote about there." Since I didn't keep a detailed journal, I would say, "Keep a detailed journal."

Buy gold at $35 an ounce.
Invest in Apple and Amazon.

Keep the 65 mustang. (yes, at 16 my dad had one and gave it to me at high school graduation)
Stop at 2 kids.

Seriously though, I can think of nothing I'd really advise myself on as it all worked out better than I thought it ever could. Not in my wildest dreams did I think I'd marry my high school sweet heart, land my dream job after military service, have 2 sons who I am in awe of for their life choices, own the beautiful home we have or be financially independent by age 50.

I've lived a very blessed life.

Don't stress out about being single. It has lots of positives.

Seriously - you’ll make more money than you imagine. Don’t take work too seriously - learn how to keep perspective. Keep healthy work/life balance.

I'd tell myself "Enjoy this time, it only gets worse from here."

Get your ass out of those liberal arts classes and starting taking accounting classes.

Have more fun along the way. Take some risks.

When the college boyfriend asks you to visit him in Germany, go. He will go back to his country of origin, and you will never see him again, but you could have more memories to cherish.

A quiet local girl met a German fellow skiing at Whistler. She took the offer to visit him, which eventually ended in marriage, settling back in her home town, then the fellow started Shopify in a nearby Starbucks.

Even as late as the 1990's, your career will be negatively affected by sex discrimination in a Fortune 50 company. Carefully document what is happening and sue the bastards!

I would tell him, join a merit driven industry. Starting in the 1980s, public institutions will begin openly, officially, discriminating against your sex and ethnicity.

A quiet local girl met a German fellow skiing at Whistler. She took the offer to visit him, which eventually ended in marriage, settling back in her home town, then the fellow started Shopify in a nearby Starbucks.

I'm glad that had a happy ending! My boyfriend wanted me to visit him in Germany, but he wasn't from Germany originally.

He was from Saudi Arabia. Mecca, to be exact. His father was long deceased, and he was the oldest son, with a mother and younger sister he was responsible for (forever) as the "head of the family." He could not stay here, and I would have lasted precisely 1.3 seconds in Saudi Arabia as a mouthy American woman! I always respected his devotion to his family. We can't always have everything we want in life. Some things are more important than that.

Last edited:
I'm a bit in reverse. When I was 18 I told myself to "make choices that the 60 year old you would thank you for".

I always tried to live up to that with just a few missteps along the way.

I would have told myself to buy Apple the day it opened and to not turn down that older secretary who asked you out!

I'm glad that had a happy ending! My boyfriend wanted me to visit him in Germany, but he wasn't from Germany originally.

He was from Saudi Arabia. Mecca, to be exact. His father was long deceased, and he was the oldest son, with a mother and younger sister he was responsible for (forever) as the "head of the family." He could not stay here, and I would have lasted precisely 1.3 seconds in Saudi Arabia as a mouthy American woman! I always respected his devotion to his family. We can't always have everything we want in life. Some things are more important than that.

Western raised women who marry non western raised men often face unexpected differences of expectations.

Moving to a system with radically different law, would be a whole different level of consequences.

Not judging, just saying women often don’t understand what
they are signing up for.

Hanging around with, dating, someone who your practical
self sees issues and risk, is a very dangerous thing for
a female to do, as primal attraction and bonding overrides
the frontal cortex.

Passing on that adventure in Germany was most likely dodging a bullet.

18? I’d rather talk to my 17 year old self. But I’m not sure that would make a difference.

Like others, I think I would only be able to give stock picking and sports betting advice.

All my mistakes and accomplishments are my own and I’m not 100% sure alternate paths would’ve been better.

But I pity the fool.

save, invest, get and actually use a budget, live as far below your means as possible, eliminate debt. basically the dave ramsey baby steps.

Choosing a spouse will be the most important thing you do in your life. Take this very seriously.

Back
Top Bottom