What would you say to an 18 year old you?

At 18, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life as adult. I didn't want to become one, that's for sure, and when I picked TV/Radio as my college major, I didn't think in a million years I had any chance of winding up working in that industry. I made a nice career for myself and have worked a few shows a year since turning 57. That being said, my advice would have been, major in education and do what you can to get a teaching job on Long Island. After a few years, they make 6 figure salaries. Unless you wind up in one of the handful of crappy schools, chances are you will teach good kids, not like in the city where you are more of a zoo keeper. Pension, health care for life, nights, weekends, holidays and summers off, none of which I got. Not as much fun as what I did, but then I could have had a family.

Second choice, if not the above, work in a civil service job, whether city, state or federal. Maybe not as good pay as private industry, but you don't have to worry about losing your job or not having money or health care when you retire.

Your life is about to change in ways you could not have imagined. Just relax and go with the flow that will transport you 2000 miles to a year long nightmare from which you will awaken with a rich, exciting, successful and rewarding future. So, with the warning that the early days of your future are frightening and insecure, relax and just let life sweep you where you seem destined to go.

To my 18 yr old self ...

Do everything you will do until you turn 30. You need the experience, you need to get your ya-yas out.

At 30, become what you thought you'd become, with the employer that hired Dad.

Invest in Index funds. Invest in Mutual funds.

Do everything you can to retire @ 60, because @ 52 you'll still be a little behind.

Don't worry about not being cool, popular, or a jock. In 20 years, you'll realize that it's mostly the nerds who rule the world (future Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos)....those cool jocks in my small home town will still be there in 30 years. They will live in the glory of their past high school days. I will live in the present.

Get out, explore the world. Talk to women. Have some real relationships. Save and invest as much as you can. Buy that condo in Mission Bay. Don't buy that first sports car, first year out of college.

Take on as much responsibility as early in your career as you can. Become a project manager earlier. Maintain your work-life balance. Get scuba certified. Dive the world. Before you retire.

You WILL live long enough to be able to use your retirement savings. So, get started! Retire by 45. You want to be a millionaire? You can, and you will. How many millions is up to you!

Last edited:
To 18 year old Sue -

Know that you chose the right guy, he’s a keeper.

You are right about the religion thing.

Hey, pay attention to all those numbers in your head all the time. You are a numbers/money person.

Quit trying to live up to others expectations, get to know yourself without all the outside noise.

It’s OK to be an introvert even when all the extroverts think there’s something wrong with you that they need to fix.

Get to know your brother better, he won’t be around long.

You need to get over that weird hangup you have about not telling a girl you love her in order to get sex.

(I really did take that stand; I thought it would be unfair to do so. I soon found out I was alone in that particular ethical dilemma)

You need to get over that weird hangup you have about not telling a girl you love her in order to get sex.

(I really did take that stand; I thought it would be unfair to do so. I soon found out I was alone in that particular ethical dilemma)

That would take the Gumby outta Gumby wouldn't you say?

Personality. Gumby is a very well-rounded individual. He is always willing to help others. He is never selfish.
https://gumby.fandom.com/wiki/Gumby_(character)

I would tell myself to get that bump on my neck checked out earlier than 22 years old to save me a lifetime of chemo/radiation/other health related problems. I would also tell myself to hit the gym for my upper body, not just my legs.

That would take the Gumby outta Gumby wouldn't you say?

https://gumby.fandom.com/wiki/Gumby_(character)

Yes, it's the old time travel conundrum. If you went back in time and ran over your own grandfather, would you still be the same person?

Actually, I'm fairly certain that even abandoning my scruples would not have improved the outcome for young Gumby. My father probably said it best when I was a younger teen and we were having the talk. "But what if a girl wants to have sex with me and I don't have a condom?" I asked. "Son, your predicate is wrong", he said.

You'll have your license back sooner than you think so for the love of God, don't sell the Motion 454SS you'll never see another one let alone afford it...

Still miss that car and the lawyer that got all the charges pled down to exceeding safe legal speed...….. 2 points......

My 18 year-old self wont listen but I would have to try.

1. Stop smoking grass right now. In just a few years you will be offered the job of a lifetime in the aerospace industry but you wont be able to pass the drug test and that offer never comes around again. :facepalm:

If my 18 year old self listened, and changed anything, I wouldn't be where I am today.
If I made any different choices, I would not have the life I am living now, and it's turned out to be a pretty darn good life :)
So it is probably a good thing that you can't go back, at least for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom