What would you say to an 18 year old you?

Jase

Confused about dryer sheets
I would say , keep on going , work hard and life will come good for you.

Dear 18 year old me,

you know you are not mature or responsible enough to handle a 4 year university right now. Go to junior college for a few years and get yourself together.

My dearest Grandparents offered me a full ride to college and with pressure from my parents I was convinced it's what I had to do. I wasted 2 years of their funds with failing grades and late nights before I left hanging my head. It wasn't until I spent a few years on a forklift that I decided that wasn't the life I wanted. I put myself through college the second time and graduated with a 3.85. I never missed a day or an assignment once the money and responsibility was on me. Everyone is different and has their own story to tell but I wasted a tremendous opportunity because I didn't have the courage to admit I wasn't ready.

No college, move out of AZ to San Francisco and become a real estate agent or insurance salesman. Start buying houses, fix up a little if needed and rent out. I would give this advice to any 18 year old now as well.
I think i could have retired at 30 instead of 34 if I would have done it. With a lack of desire for the women there there’ wouldn’t be a lot of lonely nights.
Plus the weather is fantastic!
( reformatted to be politically correct )

Last edited:
Buy as much MSFT as you can on the IPO day.

As valuable as a lifetime's wisdom and experience are, most people need to gain those insights through personal experience. I could tell my 18 y/o self all sorts of things but my 18 y/o self would ignore most of it.

I would say , keep on going , work hard and life will come good for you.

Hi Jase, welcome to ER Forum. Why not tell us a little about yourself?

I can think of one moment during my 18th year when I wish I could go back and tell myself what to do. Sitting alone on the railroad tracks behind my apartment, facing a huge decision. (There were no trains in that town anymore, it was just a quiet spot to sit and think.) Looking back now, the "road not taken" was the right one. I paid dearly for that poor choice!

There were other times in my life when "two paths diverged." Of course, the ones I remember most are those where I (now) think I should have made a different choice.

On the other hand, who knows? Those decisions, or more often, failures to act, have made "all the difference" in getting me where I am now. I'm doing OK. It would be nice to be able to "travel both" paths. But I'm not sure I'd want to roll the dice, go back in time and tell my former self to try some of those alternate life choices.

(Apologies to Robert Frost.)

When I was 18, I wouldn’t have listened...like many/most 18 year olds? No harm in trying, but you’re probably doing it for yourself more than the 18 year old.

As a parent of a teen, you try to help your son or daughter make good decisions. You provide guidance. You give your child facts. You explain the pros and cons. You talk to other parents. You think about how you felt when you were a teen, and the consequences you suffered when you made poor decisions. You think you have set your teenager up for success.

But then you find out that your teen has taken none of your advice and has done exactly what they wanted to all along! Moms and dads, while this is frustrating and upsetting, there is a reason teens behave this way. A significant part of your teenager’s brain, the prefrontal cortex, is undeveloped.

In fact, the prefrontal cortex is not fully developed until age 25! This is why, even after you explain the dangers and consequences, your teen may still make poor choices. Her prefrontal cortex isn’t helping her, and so she all too often makes impulsive, “Woo-hoo, this sounds like fun,” decisions.

Last edited:
LEARN !!

i did all the wrong ( but unusual ) things

and it all worked out fairly well so far , mixing with criminals , drug users and gamblers gave me a great insight into the human mind ( at it's most seedy )

could i have done it better YES , but then i would have a huge bucket-list and no health to enjoy that list with .

i did pretty well for using all the wrong paths ( but at least they weren't crowded ones )

( PS , i have never played cards/mahjong/ for money , but have known plenty who have )

Enjoy that hair.

And bet on the Dodgers in the 81 World Series, the Cardinals in 82, Orioles in 83, ...

If I could go back in time and talk to my 18 year old self I would say, " the winning Powerball numbers for August 20th 1997(2 days after my 18th birthday) are 1,3,12,15,22 with a PB of 23". Then I would be FIRED at age 18.

Thank you for taking the Advanced Placement courses in high school that allowed you to go to our local university as a high school student. You saved me $2500 in future tuition.

Now go to Summer School every year as you can take the harder courses then that don't interest you. Take a maximum of 12-13 semester hours during the Fall and Spring semesters. You won't be placing so much stress on yourself taking a "light load" which gives you more time to work a part time job. And don't feel guilty for taking Journalism 101 & 102 and that graduate course in Driver's Education. Taking Golf for a P.E. may payoff better than you realize as playing golf is where may big business deals are made.

Be kind to your mother, and go to church on Sundays. God will take care of you.

Last edited:
Don't listen to your guidance counselor and teachers who are preaching nonstop that you must get a college degree or you will never amount to anything.

Now THERE's some advice my 18-year-old self would have taken!

What I would tell myself: "Stop worrying so much. Your life will turn out OK. You will have a wife and kids who love you. You will be a multimillionaire".

And I would say back: "Stop BS'ing me. Leave me alone".

I’m not sure what I would say to my 18 year old self

Maybe “Hi, your life is, and will be, awesome!”

Airborne!

heh heh heh - meanwhile put a few bucks into the broadest, lowest expense index fund you can find. When you get out get a union card (Longshoreman) and be the richest guy at our 50th HS Reunion. Dummy me I went to college and spent 30 years in aerospace and discovered Bogle's Folly in time do a cheap ER at 50. :dance: :dance: :dance: :D :D :cool: One nephew out of the Naval Academy actually asked so I gave him a copy of Bogle On Mutual Funds (1994) and the lecture - 'Buy the haystack at the lowest possible cost and keep it - the needles come with it.' ;) Age 22 not 18. 20 year pension and a good post military job and a nice stash of index funds.

Last edited:
Don't do whatever you did to go travelling after just 1 post.

Back
Top Bottom