What you consider *superior* products (II)

But we got spoiled by the UK kettles, which use 240 volts and heat up water in a trice. In the U.S., the trice turns into several minutes, for a full kettle.
240+ years later, we're still fighting the war on tea preparation. :)

But we got spoiled by the UK kettles, which use 240 volts and heat up water in a trice. In the U.S., the trice turns into several minutes, for a full kettle.
Most kitchens have 240 volts available. If you really wanted to, you could have an electrician set it up so you could plug in a UK kettle.

I might have done, but I've gotten used to wandering off and doing something else while the kettle lackadaisically comes to a boil.

Most kitchens have 240 volts available. If you really wanted to, you could have an electrician set it up so you could plug in a UK kettle.

Our kettle is so fast it doesn’t matter that we only have 120 volts.

240+ years later, we're still fighting the war on tea preparation. :)

Our kettle is so fast it doesn’t matter that we only have 120 volts.

The engineer in me must point out, that the Voltage isn't the only factor here. It is Power (Watts) that matter, which is Volts times Amps.

In the UK, with a mains voltage of 230 V and a limit of 13 A per socket the maximum possible power to one appliance is 2990 watts (2990 joules per second). In the USA, with a mains voltage of 120 V and a limit of 15 A per outlet the maximum possible power is reduced to only 1800 watts,
So the UK outlets provide higher voltage, and a little lower Amps, but the Volts x Amps (Watts, Power) is significantly higher from a UK outlet. I think they ignored another factor, I'd need to look it up, but I think appliances are supposed to be limited to 80% of the outlet rating, to provide some extra margin (that may only be for 'continuous duty' things, not sure a kettle fits that description).

A quick glance at Amazon shows US style to be 1500 watts, and UK style 2200 watts, ~ 1.5x the power. And within the 80% I mentioned. So I guess a US tea kettle would heat water in approximately 1.5 trices?

There, more than you wanted to know! :)

-ERD50

Last edited:
My Zojirushi water boiler and warmer keeps the water at just the right temperature all the time. There is not even one second of waiting required. So that's another option.

I bought it about five years ago after visiting my daughter in Oregon. She had an extra faucet plumbed in to her kitchen sink, that was solely for providing extremely hot water like this, and I thought that was a wonderful luxury. The heating mechanism is under the sink. However I opted for the Zojirushi since it was cheaper than calling a plumber.... :D

Leave it to ERD to bring out the equations. :)

Like the engineer I am, I peeked at the plumbing and electric every chance I had while in Europe. I really liked the compactness of the breaker panels on those 240 feeds.

Leave it to ERD to bring out the equations. :)

Like the engineer I am, I peeked at the plumbing and electric every chance I had while in Europe. I really liked the compactness of the breaker panels on those 240 feeds.
I'm always amused by the panic of Americans when dealing with 240 volts given how common it is elsewhere in the world.

Our 2017 Honda CRV is the best vehicle we have ever owned. (We have owned over 125 vehicles, new, used, fixed up to sale over our 40 years of marriage. DH is a car freak.)

Paid cash of course.
Agree. DW got one May '17. Didn't pay cash of course.

Our 2017 Honda CRV is the best vehicle we have ever owned. (We have owned over 125 vehicles, new, used, fixed up to sale over our 40 years of marriage. DH is a car freak.)

It may be a bit early to really know.
Tell us again in 5 or 10 years how it rates !

My DW's 21 yr old Camry is the best car we have ever owned :D

The engineer in me must point out, that the Voltage isn't the only factor here. It is Power (Watts) that matter, which is Volts times Amps.

So the UK outlets provide higher voltage, and a little lower Amps, but the Volts x Amps (Watts, Power) is significantly higher from a UK outlet. I think they ignored another factor, I'd need to look it up, but I think appliances are supposed to be limited to 80% of the outlet rating, to provide some extra margin (that may only be for 'continuous duty' things, not sure a kettle fits that description).

Quote:
In the UK, with a mains voltage of 230 V and a limit of 13 A per socket the maximum possible power to one appliance is 2990 watts (2990 joules per second). In the USA, with a mains voltage of 120 V and a limit of 15 A per outlet the maximum possible power is reduced to only 1800 watts,

A quick glance at Amazon shows US style to be 1500 watts, and UK style 2200 watts, ~ 1.5x the power. And within the 80% I mentioned. So I guess a US tea kettle would heat water in approximately 1.5 trices?

There, more than you wanted to know! :)

-ERD50

Unless of course you run wire for a 20A to your bathroom because you DW seems to pop the breaker more than I want...

For $2, 18-24" plastic drain snakes with barbs are great for quickly & easily clearing a slow/stopped sink drain. Beats unscrewing drain from below & clearing all to heck & back.

100 percent linen bath towels. They pack small, dry quickly and last forever

This goofy looking stool - https://www.minimax-stool.com/ Strong, stable and tiny. I keep one in my car. great for parades, picnics and emergency seating needs (yes, they happen)

Surgeons Skin Secret - heals cracks and is unscented https://www.amazon.com/Surgeons-Skin-Secret-Moisturizer-Unscented/dp/B001GBF412

Tom Bihn Laundry stuff sack. https://www.tombihn.com/products/travel-laundry-stuff-sack?variant=16409804487

TruLime dried lime juice https://www.amazon.com/True-Lime-Dispenser-Count-2-82oz/dp/B005ECLIUA
Freeze dried lime juice for cooking and drinks. Tastes like the real deal and always on hand. Also good for gin and tonic emergencies.

gerntz said:
For $2, 18-24" plastic drain snakes with barbs are great for quickly & easily clearing a slow/stopped sink drain. Beats unscrewing drain from below & clearing all to heck & back.

Yes! I discovered them earlier this year. They are also better than pouring expensive nasty chemicals down one’s drain.

Last edited:
Not sure if superior, but still handy.... we bought a Hover Cover... a microwave cover that has microwave safe magnets on the top so when the cover isn't being used it just attaches magnetically to the ceiling of the interior of the microwave so it is handy when you need it yet still high enough to just leave in there when making microwave popcorn or warming up a cup of coffee. Blow that Dough!

81yJaDmy6JL._SL1500_.jpg

I bought one and it caught fire in my microwave.

Seriously? I was going to buy one. It's in my Amazon cart "saved for later".

Look up the device at Target’s online site. Check the reviews and photos. It worked great for me until I smelled burning plastic and saw an orange glow coming from my microwave.

I just sold the best car I ever had--2006 RX Lexus mid-size SUV. I loved everything about this car. Sold it with 200,000 miles on it for $6,000. Today I am off to the Lexus dealership to test drive a 2015 RX Lexus. I want a newer Lexus with less miles, navigation, safety features. I hope to be able to get the price down from $30,000!

Back
Top Bottom