What you consider *superior* products (II)

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The old thread was too old and I couldn't add posts, so here's a new thread with the same topic.

MOD EDIT: Here is the link to the old thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/what-you-consider-superior-products-48612.html#post901958. Thanks for starting a new one.

We couldn't be happier with the color printer below, Ecotank, by Epson. Epson's ink cartridges have always been cheaper than HP's, but still, they go very, very fast, and the ink cost can add up. The Ecotank printers are made for color printing of flyers, photos, etc, and the ink tank is supposed to last 5000+ of color printing, equivalent to 20 ink cartridges. We just printed a bunch of photos for our photo frames, and barely made a dent on the ink usage. Just so you know, this printer is not for printing multiple pages of documents (it prints backward unless you make changes to the registry), and it cannot scan multiple pages of documents. But if you are looking for a color printer for other uses, it is so much cheaper than any other printers. I no longer restrict myself to black&white printing.

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Expression-Supertank-Smartphone-Refillable/dp/B01122JE56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508865682&sr=8-1&keywords=ecotank+2550

Last edited by a moderator:
Charmin tp.

Any Brits here who grew up with this stuff?

original.jpg

A fork you can cut with - Knork!

Innovative creativity can come from anywhere. And that is what happened the day Mike Miller went to a pizzeria with friends and struggled to eat pizza neatly with a normal fork--while trying to impress the ladies joining them for dinner.

He noticed an employee using a pizza slicer, imagined how that functionality could exist on his fork, and the rest is flatware history.

Here's the link:

About | Knork Flatware

A couple of times they have been featured on the TODAY show with a deep discount. There's one on right now while supplies last, though you might have to use the contact form and email them to see if it's still on.

Linux operating system for computers - Free, reliable, doesn't nag or spy on you, very powerful and safe and it installs easily on even old computers.

My Toshiba high def Chromebook that I have had or over two years now. Fantastic machine for $275.00. It's all I use anymore and it goes with me everywhere.

Chacos sandals. Secure on your feet, even for serious hiking. Supportive footbed. No velcro to wear out.

Also excellent customer service. The Chacos factory can rebuild worn pairs for much cheaper than buying new. Have an 8 year-old pair that delaminated. They resoled for free and put on new straps, despite the age. Quick turn-around too. I have had 2 more pairs for over 10 years that are worn but still functional; will have the resoled this winter.

Official Chacos.com Site: Outdoor Sandals, Hiking & Casual Sandals

Ductless heat pumps. Amazing room temperature control, with great efficiency.

There are a number of higher end brands, probably in most categories, that are known for timeless style and quality.

For example: My "favorite" tshirt for $14 isn't cheap if it's worn out by the end of summer. But my $78 one that fits perfectly, and lasts for a decade without fading becomes a bargain, and therefore superior.

I like high crazy end bags (women's). But I know I'll have them for 20 years. I have several that are 10 years old and look as good as day one. They won't be scuffed up and seams sagging after 2... and if they are, I know I can exchange them as the stores that carry them know they are making a promise.

In 1974 I visited London (UK) with my parents. At the Burberry shop on Oxford Street, my mom bought me a gabardine bomber jacket with check lining. It cost £98. I wore it last week. It’s like new. Not a thread or a button has ever come loose after 44 years. And you know what? It has never gone out of style.

Kimber hunting rifles are a paragon of accuracy, functionality, reliability, beauty, and value. If I hunted regularly, I’d get one in 7mm-08 as my dedicated deer rifle.

Orient makes some of the most lovely and affordable watches. I’d own several, except my wrists are too slim for contemporary men’s watches. Also, I’m one of those very rare watch enthusiasts who prefers quartz movement over mechanical.

I appreciate our rather dumb state legislature for extremely low retiree taxation--a product of sorts.

There are no state income taxes on defined pensions or social security payments. And since my DW is disabled, property taxes are waived on our 5,200 square foot main residence.

My easy spirit walking shoes . They are so comfortable and look like new after a few years of almost daily wear .

Back
Top Bottom