What's everyone listening to?

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
I'm listening to:

-- "Blues in the Night" live version (1961) from Ken Burns' Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald, composer=Harold Arlen
-- "Round Midnight" Ella, from Jazz Round Midnight, composer=Thelonious Monk
-- "A Night in Tunisia" from Ken Burns' Jazz: E.F., composer=Dizzy Gillespie
-- "When I Get Low, I Get High," (1930s) Ella, from A Tisket A Tasket, composer=can't figure it out, possibly band leader Chick Webb
-- "Sophisticated Lady" Ken Burns..., composer=Duke Ellington
-- "Caravan" live (Cote D'Azur 1966) from Soul Call, composer=Duke Ellington
-- "Lullaby of Birdland," Ella, from Ken Burns' Jazz: Ella Fitsgerald, composer=George Shearing
-- "Blue Skies" (1958) from Ken Burns' Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald, composer=Irving Berlin
-- "Night and Day" from KB Jazz: E.F., composer=Cole Porter
-- "Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps" (Quizas Quizas Quizas), Eastern Standard Time, from Arrivals and Departures, composer=Osvaldo Farres

You have fabulous taste in music, Astro. ;) I'm pretty ecletic (sp?) with my music. One day it may be Mozart's Concerto in G for Piano, No. 4 or the next it may be the early years of Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd.

My collection is all over the place, too - classics (everything, especially into classical guitar), older rock, older pop, , world - and in the last 10 yrs or so I have developed a real appreciation for jazz & roots music. Two of my favorite online radio streams for jazz programming:

WTJU Charlottesville, VA http://wtju.net
WWOZ NewOrleans http://www.wwoz.org/

Last night we watched the movie "Life out Loud", quite good & funny, but Queen Latifa knocked me over with her voice - didn't know she sang.

Sorry to say that I'm not much of a Jazz of Blues listener, I still listen to the 70's and 80's music such as Rush, AC/DC,Queen, Stones and even Elton John, Fleetwood Mac,Guess Who, Since retiring last couple of weeks my son took me to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert and I took him to see Chicago. I have to have music in my life. I started to play the guitar years ago, but work got in the way and now my son started picking it up. Hopefully one day I'll get back to it.

How about others?

I listen to RadioParadise.com an Internet station with an eclectic mix from the fifties through today. I periodically download about a days worth (legal time shifting and dump them in Itunes/iPod to listen to on the home stereo. A recent listing starts with Innocence Mission and Depeche Mode and moves on to Thievery Corporation, John Coltrane, Paul Simon, Radiohead, Miles Davis..... They manage a very interesting playlist.

merv griffins greatest hits album

NOT!

Here's what's on random shuffle in my iTunes now:

Army of Lovers
Art Blakey
B-52's
Black Box
The Blue Hearts
The Boom
The Cars
The Cocteau Twins
CSNY
The Cure
Dave Brubeck Quartet
Dead Can Dance
Dr. Alban
Dreams Come True
Duran Duran
Elvis Costello
Funk The Peanuts
Gary Numan
Giuseppe Verdi
Richard Wagner
Hildegard Von Bingen
Gregorian Sense
Hitomi
Jane Siberry
Jimi Hendrix
John Coltrane
Shujaat Khan
KLF
Ludwig van Beethoven
Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau
Miles Davis
Miya & Yami
Mr. Bops
Mr. Children
My Bloody Valentine
My Little Lover
Nat 'King' Cole
Pet Shop Boys
Pink Floyd
The Pretenders
Public Image Ltd.
R.E.M.
Radhakrish
Sanjeeb Sircar
Sanjoy Bandopadhyay
Schubert
Sex Pistols
Sigur Ros
Simple Minds
Southern All Stars
The Three Tenors
trf
Zard
Spitz
Ayado Chie
Amuro Namie
Natsukawa Rimi
Matsutoya Yumi
Shiina Ringo
Misora Hibari
Kome Kome Club

Martha said:
Sitar! I still wish I could learn to play one. Love the music.

Check out Anoushka Shankar's album "Rise"

DanTien: That's a beautiful, nostalgic Neil Young song. YouTube has "Cortez the Killer" and "Powderfinger," too, to round out the flashback.
Cube_rat: Found some Anoushka Shankar on YouTube, too. Nice.
Astromeria: I never realized that "Night in Tunisia" was originally a Dizzy Gillespie song, having only been familiar with the Art Blakey version. There seem to be a lot of covers out there. Neat.

DanTien said:

Yes, great resource.

sgeeeee said:
Anything but Opera or Rap. :-\

I just don't get 'em.

You know, I kinda like rap and I'm white and older than dirt. Not too sure what that means.

JG

Hi JG!

It means that you're an old white guy that likes rap... its a small exclusive club.

sgeeeee said:
Anything but Opera or Rap. :-\

I just don't get 'em.

Maybe this will help:

Attachments

• foo.JPG
    foo.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 8
  • foo.JPG_thumb
    39 KB · Views: 1
bpp said:
Maybe this will help:

I can't seem to get into opera or rap either. I believe you need a great voice for opera, but rap...................no comment. Maybe if I understood what the heck they're saying re opera, that would help.

Current favorites are Evanescence, Nickelback, Godsmack, and Disturbed

When i want to mellow down I enjoy Josh Groban, or perhaps some Madonna or Mariah Carey

Right now I'm enjoying the silence which will come to a crashing halt once everyone arrives here.

I wouldn't call myself an opera fan, but certain exposures have created certain interests. I've been to a couple of performances of Tosca, and accompanied a professional singer in one of the best arias (Visi d'arte--something like I live for art). It's also based on a very interesting story of politics, sexual abuse of power, hypocrasy, torture and illegal imprisonment and murder--some things never go out of style :p.

I had a Wagner phase in HS (based on playing a couple of his opera overtures, one conducted by a guy I went out with--talk about seducing my interest!), so got into the Ring operas, especially the most accepssable to lay people, Das Reingold, the first one. Lots of intellectual as well as musical interest there--complex interweaving of leitmotifs, based on mythology,e tc. Probably helps to be familiar with classical music, so I have a leg to stand on so to speak. I loved playing Wagner in vaarious orchestras--dense, hard, loud, kinda of the same emotional effect on me as great rock, but more intellectually interesting.

When rap first came out, I disliked the sound but found the lyrics clever, sometimes extremely so. It's mostly too loud, tunelss, angry, and crude for my taste, but once in a while if I pay attention, I find a rap song interesting if not necessrily enjoyable enough to listen to over and over.

I am pretty new to jazz--probably listened to more of it over the past week and a half than my whole previous life! It didn;t "speak to me" tillnow for some reason. I find the hairy edges of bebop still beyond me.

Alt-country, not refined enough (yet) to listen to the old folks music! :D
But I love Robert Earl Keen, Chris Knight, Cross Canadian Ragweed, and pretty much anything out of Texas that doesn't play on top 40 radio!
Sarah

ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Eyed Peas, Doors, Beatles, Cake,

Back
Top Bottom