What's everyone listening to?

Most recent purchases:

CD - Elementary Doctor Watson!, Doc and Merle Watson

DVD - Does Humor Belong in Music, Frank Zappa

HFWR said:
Most recent purchases:

CD - Elementary Doctor Watson!, Doc and Merle Watson

DVD - Does Humor Belong in Music, Frank Zappa

Ahhh, two true American originals for sure. I remember slowing down Doc's first record with my finger so I could try to figure out his licks & copy them - with pretty lame results. Alas, Merle's no longer with us for many years, but Doc's still putting it down.

Coincidently, local radio station just finished the jazz marathon fundraiser; one show featured some Zappa jazz stuff I had never heard before, pretty sophisticated stuff. Another one taken too soon......

Cut-Throat said:
Astro,

I mostly listen to Jazz. But since I am an audiophile into Tube Audio, I've got to ask. What kind of stereo system do you use?
Cut-throat, are you sitting down?!

So far I play the iTunes I downloaded only on my 4-yr-old Mac laptop--whose left speaker I've blown out. I haven't burned a CD yet (I've never done it and would like DH to show me how the first time). We have a Denon stereo in the living room (non-tube..uh, solid state?) about 15 years old--separate components, all Denon--a mid-priced household <non-audiophile> system at the time of purchase). My husband still has his Macintosh 1700 receiver (tube audio), but it hasn;t been connected to anything since we got the Denon system. We also have an Onkyo receiver & DVD player as part of our TV setup with PDSB surround-sound + back speakers. But I like the idea of running music off an iPod and selecting the songs and order at the time.

Care to recommend any jazz albums or pieces based on what I posted? Those 30-second snippets on iTunes aren't enough!

Get the Mac Tube Receiver running! - I am currently listening to some Art Pepper stuff - I like it all!

Get Keith Jarrets new CD the concert at Carnegie hall! Beautiful!

That is a find. I'm listening to Hendrix at Winterland, 1968

Wow, ronin, what a great site!

I'm mellowing out on Santana right now....just need a nice glass of shiraz...

Thanks!

Thanks for the link -
Listening to Van Morrison Berkeley Community Theater 1979

Also, looking at some concerts I was at and all the ones I should have been at! ::)

Right now I'm listening to IZ (Facing Future). :) Love the man. Tragic that he died so young :-[

DanTien said:
Also, looking at some concerts I was at and all the ones I should have been at! ::)
Many of these concerts sound completely different than I remember them, but this time I've been listening to them sober.

Oldbabe said:
Right now I'm listening to IZ (Facing Future). :) Love the man. Tragic that he died so young :-[
Let's not start that obesity thread all over again. Iz's spouse/kid and siblings are still quite angry about the whole thing and no doubt scarred for life. I don't know if the PBS documentary airs on the Mainland...

If I keep playing Neil Young full blast I think my wife may leave me. ;) Have to dig into the vault for some country music then.

Oldbabe said:

Will have to check out that album. All I have is the Makaha Sons' Ho`oluana, purchased back when "White Sandy Beach" was the big hit (still love that song).

Led Zeppelin
Doobie Brothers
Dave Brubeck
Beethoven
Billy Joel - He did a great cover of "Hey Girl" (was that originally done by the Temptations?)
Janis Joplin
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Cream
Melissa Etheridge - She did a great cover of Tom Petty's "Refugee"
Bonnie Raitt
Eagles
Pretenders
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Wynonna Judd - She did a great cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird"

Along with all the other crap that gets radio airplay in the US... some of the following does not.

Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band - I prefer his older stuff, the "band".
ZZ Top's Mescalero album.
Alvin "youngblood" Hart - native american singing the blues, I figure he's got the right, but I won't go into it any farther.
The Raconteurs - especially "steady as she goes".
Older Audioslave album
Tragically Hip -
Breaking Benjamin - hard rock
Iio - techno/dance/trance/whatever
Placebo
R.L. Burnside - blues
Snow Patrol

I'll not go on...

-CC

Nords said:
Let's not start that obesity thread all over again. Iz's spouse/kid and siblings are still quite angry about the whole thing and no doubt scarred for life. I don't know if the PBS documentary airs on the Mainland...

Nords, I don't know anything about the PBS documentary or what the "whole thing" was, I was just regreting the loss of IZ.

donheff said:
That is a find. I'm listening to Hendrix at Winterland, 1968

With genuflection for donheff's selection, generally I'm listening to Sirius satellite radio (no not Howard) and I'm wondering if I'll get screwed out of my lifetime subscription as Sirius merges with XM...

BUM said:
With genuflection for donheff's selection, generally I'm listening to Sirius satellite radio (no not Howard) and I'm wondering if I'll get screwed out of my lifetime subscription as Sirius merges with XM...

Merger law 101: all contracts of both companies will survive the merger and become the obligations of the surviving company.

Back
Top Bottom