What's your iPhone Journey

Started with a Samsung Galaxy S. Had it about two years, went to the Iphone 4s, then to the 6s. I did not like the Samsung! Android would upgrade, but you could never get Samsung to upgrade there phone. Seems like you were always behind and the only real way to get the latest OS was to buy a new phone. I have never been an Apple fan, but have an Ipad mini and a 6s. DW Ipad and 5s. They just work well together.

My company has paid for every Iphone I've owned since the first one came out, and I've always upgraded to the latest version pretty much on the day they first came out. I have the 7 Plus now.

If I had to pay for them myself, I still think I would continue to upgrade each year to the newest model. I really don't buy much "stuff", and I do enjoy having the latest technology. It seems like a very small price to pay to stay current.

I'm on my 4th iPhone now, upgrade about every two years. Paid $200 for first phone the rest are free (net cost by selling old phone then buying subsidized new phone).

MegACorp provided the first smartphone a Blackberry. Still my favorite. A year later they moved to ios and a 4 then 4S. Never had a 5. But retired and got a 6 with Consumer Cell.
Recently got a Mac, replacing a Win7 that I gave to my son.
Still miss the BB

iphone 4 for 2 years.
iphone 5c 2.5 years now.

We have found there are great deals when the phones are 1-2 years old. Plus deals on hi-impact cases once the new version phones are released!

Upgrade every time adult kids upgrade-makes life easier when my questions about operations, software upgrades, etc. come up.

We have two iPhone 4 models. They worked overseas last year, and plan on keeping another year. I'm thinking they are 5 years old.

Just ordered my first smartphone yesterday, an iphone SE. Cheaper than the 7, also smaller. I have small hands and want something to easily fit into them. I've had a flip phone forever, but as more and more of the world goes to the app world, its harder to go without when travelling.

iPad original retina
4S
Planning an upgrade cycle this fall
2x8
latest iPad

(Sold all AAPL when it was $72 and bought back half at $52. Still hold all of them:2100)

We have found there are great deals when the phones are 1-2 years old.

This works the other way too. I sell our used iPhones every couple of years for ~$250. This helps reduce the total cost of the phone.

Excluding taxes, the total cost is ~$300 for the base model. $650 retail -$100 discount from T-Mobile and -$250 after selling the phone.

I'm always amazed at how well Apple products hold their price. That's rare for consumer electronics.

Never wanted or had a cell phone until was required to have one at work in around 2000. At first it was a Blackberry, later changed to Iphones. Mine was a 5S model. When I retired, I happily turned in my 5S and thought I was done with the hassle of carrying around cell phones...but then my wife decided I needed a phone. :facepalm: I guess the fact that I had dumped our land line and she had no way to contact me was an issue? :confused: In any event, I relented but only if I didn't have to learn something new. So she got me another 5S which I still use today.

I really don't get why people like IPhones so much over any other smart phone. But then I guess I could easily do without any phone so not really the target audience for them.

3, 4, now a 6. The 6 has 128G of memory, which was the reason for trading up last time. Should be good until it stops accepting iOS updates.

Megacorp debated for years before authorizing smartphones for the sales team. They finally approved iphone 5 in Dec 2012 but employees were required to pay for the device which could only be purchased through the company. The company paid for the service. Three of us (out of 30) balked and kept our flip phones which were free. After 12 months, I was the only one that did not roll over. I was expecting retribution from management but it never happened (yes I was paranoid). I finally rolled over about 9 months before ER in 2015. I paid $300 for a company issued iphone 6 (16GB). I considered it a retirement gift. I love this phone, but if it was up to me I would've bought an Andriod based on cost and need. Now that I have the iphone, I will stick with Apple. I hate how Apple thinks they know what is best for me like constantly telling me to use iCloud for everything. I have changed my Appleid multiple times but it always reverts back to my megacorp email which is no longer accessible to me.

It's funny how I have barely scratched the surface of this phone's capabilities but I am more proficient than almost everyone that kept telling me I "had" to get a smartphone.

DW and I bought our first smartphones in January 2015, iPhone6 and immediately retired our flip top phones, digital camera, old basic iPods, car GPS (Garmin), and hand held GPS (also Garmin).

Not sure when we will upgrade, but I expect it will be another iPhone.

In 2013 I had bought a non-phone iPad which I continue to love, and in January 2016 switched out my old Dell Laptop to a new MacBook Air. DW switched out her old Dell Laptop with a MacBook Air in November last year (2016).

Spent many years with BlackBerry products through work. When retired I wanted to go to a more surfing friendly device and had transitioned computers at home to Apple products so went to an iPhone 6P. Has been a positive experience. DW retired in December and although they let her keep her BlackBerry handset she needed a new plan so put her onto the family plan with an iPhone 7P which I got and she got my 6P. I don't see any huge difference in the phones. Two children have android phones and two have iPhones but older models. I have been pleasantly surprised by their toughness but all have light Otterboxs or LifeProof cases on them.

Back
Top Bottom