The New Apple iPhone 14

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this as yet. I'm a fan of Android but I am interested in and respect what Apple does. As usual, the latest iPhone is mostly a refinement of the previous iteration. But there are a few things that really appealed to me, a multiple Pixel device owner.

1. "Dynamic Island." No, it's not a new reality TV series but this clunkily named feature it's a brilliant new way to get notifications and quickly monitor certain functions on your phone. The cutout at the top of the screen that houses the selfie camera has the ability to act like a mini-widget and a notification area. Furthermore, it has the ability to change shape and size to accommodate the various apps that are running 'inside' it. It's basically a mini-mini OLED screen built into the regular screen. You tap it to get information. Android users may think of it as your notification shade, but instead of pulling it down to see all your notifications, you can simply tap this mini-screen and see them. Video here:

2. Always On Lockscreen. Of course Android has had this for years but Apple has it now. When your iPhone is locked and "sleeping" you can have information available to you on the lockscreen.

3. S-O-S Emergency calling. If you are somewhere and you have no cell phone tower signal, you can send an S-O-S through satellites. Basically, this function turns your iPhone into a satellite phone. A very limited sat-phone, but still pretty cool.

4. E-sim exclusivity. Esim was another feature that Android beat Apple to implement, but this time Apple is going all in, meaning there is NO sim card in the iPhone 14. This will make it easy to switch carriers, should be a boon for international travelers, and make it easier to upgrade your phone. It also could be another brick in the walled garden that is Apple since it might make Apple users think twice about moving to an Android phone.

So how about it Apple lovers? See anything you like in the new iPhone? Is there enough new stuff to get you to upgrade?

As I mentioned on the watch thread, DH plans to buy the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

He is upgrading from his iPhone X which is 5 years old! I’ve been ragging on DH to get a 5G capable phone. He’s been perfectly happy with his iPhone X except for cellphone range/coverage issued. I love my iPhone 13 and the 5G capability has been awesome.

1. "Dynamic Island." No, it's not a new reality TV series but this clunkily named feature it's a brilliant new way to get notifications and quickly monitor certain functions on your phone. The cutout at the top of the screen that houses the selfie camera has the ability to act like a mini-widget and a notification area. Furthermore, it has the ability to change shape and size to accommodate the various apps that are running 'inside' it. It's basically a mini-mini OLED screen built into the regular screen.

Um, no. There is no screen in a screen.

While it’s a very cleaver new UI and I think it’ll be very useful there is no hardware component to it.

Instead of the “notch” in earlier iPhones, the iPhone 14 Pros have a smaller cut out for the front facing camera, microphone, etc.

This cut out area is nice and black, the same color as black pixels on the OLED screen. This allows Apple to draw black pixels adjacent to the cut out area and animate, and voila, you get need effect of the black cut out area getting bigger. And they draw more UI elements around it and so on.

It you look closely all the Dynamic Island UI’s feature a black background and coincidentally, there is always a black area exactly where the cut out is.

This is an example of making a silk purse out of a pigs ear...

Um, no. There is no screen in a screen.

While it’s a very cleaver new UI and I think it’ll be very useful there is no hardware component to it.

Instead of the “notch” in earlier iPhones, the iPhone 14 Pros have a smaller cut out for the front facing camera, microphone, etc.

This cut out area is nice and black, the same color as black pixels on the OLED screen. This allows Apple to draw black pixels adjacent to the cut out area and animate, and voila, you get need effect of the black cut out area getting bigger. And they draw more UI elements around it and so on.

It you look closely all the Dynamic Island UI’s feature a black background and coincidentally, there is always a black area exactly where the cut out is.

This is an example of making a silk purse out of a pigs ear...

Well, it's pretty cool!

As I mentioned on the watch thread, DH plans to buy the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

He is upgrading from his iPhone X which is 5 years old! I’ve been ragging on DH to get a 5G capable phone. He’s been perfectly happy with his iPhone X except for cellphone range/coverage issued. I love my iPhone 13 and the 5G capability has been awesome.

If your hubby has the iPhone X today (not XS Max) - the move will be from a 5.8" model to a 6.7" model. That's a big change that he should be aware of... the size and weight will be noticeably different and that can be okay for some but unexpected for others.

Just trying to help. :)

3. S-O-S Emergency calling. If you are somewhere and you have no cell phone tower signal, you can send an S-O-S through satellites. Basically, this function turns your iPhone into a satellite phone. A very limited sat-phone, but still pretty cool.

This, combined with the car crash sensing feature (also available on the watch), are the two big new personal safety features added this year.

While these features really are useful, but they are especially useful when someone is pondering if they should buy:

"This thing could save my life! OK, I’ll buy it.”
There’s a reason that during the event yesterday there was a fairly long segment featuring some of the people who’s lives have been saved by Apple devices.

Up to twenty apparently. I have used two eSIMs in my iPhone 13 Pro.

Thanks, I wondered about that too.

People who really want a physical SIM - I think iPhone 13 is going to be available for quite a while. It does both.

If your hubby has the iPhone X today (not XS Max) - the move will be from a 5.8" model to a 6.7" model. That's a big change that he should be aware of... the size and weight will be noticeably different and that can be okay for some but unexpected for others.

Just trying to help. :)

Yes, he is well aware. He decided it was time to get bigger.

This, combined with the car crash sensing feature (also available on the watch), are the two big new personal safety features added this year.

Are these new features part of iOS 16 or are they tied to the new iPhone hardware? IOW, will my iPhone 13 get these new features when I upgrade to iOS 16?

Are these new features part of iOS 16 or are they tied to the new iPhone hardware? IOW, will my iPhone 13 get these new features when I upgrade to iOS 16?

Both car crash detection and emergency SOS via satellite come on all iPhone 14 models.

But no older iPhones. The crash detections needs a newer, more capable accelerometer than the older phones have.

Last edited:

These are hardware features.

An accelerometer and barometer (sensors) are used for crash detection. I’m pretty sure satellite connection also uses hardware.

...I’ve been ragging on DH to get a 5G capable phone...

I am curious...what is the reason for you wanting him to switch to 5G? I.e. what feature of 5G are you going to use that LTE (4G) does not have?

I am curious...what is the reason for you wanting him to switch to 5G? I.e. what feature of 5G are you going to use that LTE (4G) does not have?
We have much better cellphone range at 5G, plus higher speed. Also I think the newer iPhones have better reception.

My phone had much better connection overall when traveling.

I am getting an iPhone 14 Pro Max as is DH. I am pondering how the mechanics work.

We have T Mobile Magenta Max and essentially this will cost up tax Plus $100 upcharge from 14 to 14 Pro Max. We trade in our 12 Pro Maxes and get credit for that. The balance up to $1000 is given back to us in bill credits over 24 months. We pay the extra $99 for the Pro Max spread out over the 24 months.

I had been on the fence about whether to upgrade this year. But, honestly, the deep purple sold it for me. I may never upgrade again (well, until they cycle around to purple again sometime). The T Mobile deal is good enough that DH is also jumping.

I know that we can order at 5:00 PDT if you order from Apple. I assume it works that way for T Mobile also. I think the easiest will be to order online at T Mobile. I think we can also do it for the T Mobile plan through Apple but not sure how that would work for DH since I manage the T Mobile account. We'll see.

Apple made it very easy to order: I “pre ordered” yesterday, that is, I stepped through picking out the model I wanted, they already knew what carrier I use, and got pre approval for the upgrade program.

At 8AM this morning I ran the Apple store app. After a couple of minutes wait it presented me a button to complete the order. Done. It’ll be delivered next Friday.

I remember standing in long lines at Apple Stores back in the early days. Have to say I don’t miss that.

Unfortunately DH ran into several technical glitches when trying to pay for his order this morning, so he missed the delivery window. Things like “page not found” when clicking on the checkout with ApplePay button. No store here - we’ll just have to wait.

Last edited:
Unlike the Apple watch, I'll absolutely get one of these.... In a few years... Honestly, I can't tell you what version of IPhone I have now (don't really care) but it does everything I want/need. I'll replace it when the battery becomes unreliable and/or my (key) apps are longer supported.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Pro Max. Delivery early to mid October. Getting ready to order the watch...what happened to the blue one :(.

For others, you might want to consider one of the iPhone 13 models. Since Apple has discontinued them, other resellers are lowering the price. Might be worth looking around for a deal.

Personally, I have the 13 Pro Max and I'm absolutely delighted with everything about it, especially the battery life!

For others, you might want to consider one of the iPhone 13 models. Since Apple has discontinued them, other resellers are lowering the price. Might be worth looking around for a deal.

Personally, I have the 13 Pro Max and I'm absolutely delighted with everything about it, especially the battery life!

I have a 12 mini and am looking at the 13 mini because Apple discontinued the mini. Though I’ll probably wait until I hear rumors that they are going to stop selling the 13’s. My goal is to get a new mini as late as possible so that I can hold it and have it supported as long as possible. I really don’t understand why the mini’s don’t sell well. I really like the size and think the larger phones are just too large. I guess I’m an outlier. I like a phone that fits nicely in my pocket.

I thought Apple was continuing to sell the iPhone 13.

I have a 12 mini and am looking at the 13 mini because Apple discontinued the mini. Though I’ll probably wait until I hear rumors that they are going to stop selling the 13’s.

Well, they have already stopped making the 13, so they are only selling what is already in stock.

Back
Top Bottom