Join Early Retirement Today

When asked "What do you do", what do you say?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At more than one social gathering with folks that I have never met and will probably not see again, it is not unusual for the above question to crop up along the way. I no longer just say, "I'm retired."

My standard response now goes something like this ~ "I manage a rather large estate using passive investing techniques and privileged high-speed Internet resources."

How do you handle this "problem"?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wallet Inspector. Let's see 'em, its the law.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yo! I'm my old lady's bitch.

Ha
Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
At more than one social gathering with folks that I have never met and will probably not see again, it is not unusual for the above question to crop up along the way. I no longer just say, "I'm retired."

My standard response now goes something like this ~ "I manage a rather large estate using passive investing techniques and privileged high-speed Internet resources."

How do you handle this "problem"?
You know, people don't really care what others do. I think it's just a polite question to get conversation going, and perhaps gauge what you each have in common. (People who use the question to "rank" other people aren't even worth talking to, IMHO).

My husband says he's retired, but his wife is still working. Thus, turning the conversational focus to me I then say I work for the Federal government and, just before this kills all chance of further conversation, I ask the other person, "So, what do you like to do?"

Mickey's response is creative but I suspect I'd crack up if I tried to give it

Amethyst
Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where I live -and given the life I lead- Im not bound to meet new people. But if that is going to be the case, Im sure I will say that I am a retiree. Phiysically I can pass for oneIf I can help it I wont say "early" retired- It draws envy/resentment!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Ha! Now that I hang around with old people all the time, this question NEVER comes up!!!!

Audrey
Old 01-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"I fix toilets for a living".

I like saying true things that misdirect, it's a perverse character flaw.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You know, people don't really care what others do. I think it's just a polite question to get conversation going, and perhaps gauge what you each have in common. (People who use the question to "rank" other people aren't even worth talking to, IMHO).
I tend to agree with this. It's small talk, something that can be used as a "get to know you a little" discussion without getting into intimate and contentious subjects.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You know, people don't really care what others do. I think it's just a polite question to get conversation going, and perhaps gauge what you each have in common. (People who use the question to "rank" other people aren't even worth talking to, IMHO).(snip)

Amethyst
I think so too. It's the post-collegiate equivalent of "what's your major?"
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #10

I'm a kept woman. I'm usually laughing at my own joke so hard the conversation doesn't go any further.

(They don't need to know I'm "kept" at home eldercaring.)
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If it's a situation where I do not know the person and it just seems like a polite question, I say 'I got lucky and retired early. Play lot's of golf.' But if they know I'm retired and seem to be picking I reply 'I'm doing what I do best, nothing.'
Old 01-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Due to a recent thread, I think I'm gonna say I measure biceps and index fingers.....
Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
I say the same as what my business contact card says.....I'm a "Connoisseur of Life".......plain...simple.....and the absolute truth!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

"What do I do?"

If a former co-worker is asking, the answer is "As little as possible" or "Household Engineer" or "Domestic Program Manager" or a combination thereof.

If a new acquaintance and/or not a former co-worker is asking, the answer is "Retired Engineer". That one still gets a double take even after all these years (being a female in a traditionally male field).

I have some other "answers" that often pop out of my head, but I don't want to shock you all.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Q - What do you do?

A - Piss, moan, and complain.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I always tell them the truth, that I work with "electronics stuff". Quite often, they nodded as if to say that I fitted the nerdy stereotype that they had in mind. And that didn't bother me a bit. And that's that.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #17

Depends on mood.

Sometimes it's "I just try to stay out of jail" or "whatever DW tells me not to do".

I once used "I manage investments for individuals", that backfired a bit and I was forced to add "I only have time to handle one account".

Usually, I just say "whatever I want to" and let them guess.

Years ago, a friend was a cab driver. I heard someone ask him this and loved the reply "I'm in the charter transportation business".
Old 01-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I love saying "I'm retired"! The next comment is usually "but you're too young". My response is "you can never be too young, rich, or thin. I'm still working on the thin."
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #19

My usual answer is, "Not much," with a smile.

Coach
Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
"I fix toilets for a living".

I like saying true things that misdirect, it's a perverse character flaw.
My husband used to use that one all the time. He has the same perverse character flaw.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote