When did you feel old?

DH and I recalled the days growing up when TV only got 4 channels

I remember when TV only had one channel (in St. Louis, where we were living at the time). I was still very little when we went from one to two channels, and the concept of having a second channel absolutely blew my little girl mind! :LOL:

I've been feeling the aging process over the past couple of years as things that once worked very well on the old bod have started breaking or going on the fritz. Then four weeks ago, we left our baby-girl at the university for her freshman year.

I don't think I would feel so old if I were able (time wise) to get into better shape, able to go out camping in a tent (no place to do that here, and DW wouldn't come anyway), go canoeing or kayaking on the local lake (there isn't one for a couple hundred miles and I don't have a kayak or canoe anyway - no place to store it).

I think all of this is why I am so looking forward to FIRE, so I can spend more time on getting into better shape and doing the things I want to do. I'll be older then (51 at anticipated FIRE, just about 48 now), but I will probably feel a lot younger.

R

I was chatting with a friend, and we both had been thinking about how close 60 is getting. We decided, hell, no getting around it, middle age has come and gone, we're just plain old.

With apologies to those 60 and over.

Coach

My most memorable aging shock was the first time I sunburned my bald spot. I didn't even know I had a bald spot.

A common moment for men I think is when we realize that cute young thing really doesn't even consider us in the constellation of males any more.

Coach

Once all of the older generation had passed on and my daughter advised me that I was now the MATRIARCHE of her world. Talk about a bittersweet moment as I was in my very early 50's at the time. Mom and 2 kids and a couple of 4 legged critters against the whole world here.

I don't feel old, but recently I noticed that I have my mother's hands! How did that happen:confused:

DH and I recalled the days growing up when TV only got 4 channels -We all had to watch the same programs-gave us commonality -

Then we sang the theme song to Beverly Hillbillies

Remembering TV repairmen coming to the house

Bread & Milk delivery

(and for fellow Canadians) When the Union Jack not the Canadian Flag hung in every classroom
Our family did not even own a TV until I was 9 years old. Old black and white and oval screen. These are the shows I grew up watching.
When Life Was In Black and White

Those were the good old days. I am now 62 and I really do not feel old.
oldtrig

Still don't feel old. Hope I never do.

Somewhere around age 50 when I needed reading glasses.

I once took my mother clothes shopping at an upmarket boutique for "mature women". After half an hour of trying on elegant designer outfits, I could sense that she was not happy. I inquired what was wrong. Whispering in my ear to avoid upsetting the saleswoman, she told me that "these are clothes for old people".

She was 82 at the time. :cool:

Me, I felt old at 40. :(

I won't say 'old', but I have realized I am grown-up.

All of my parents generation - them,aunts & uncles are now dead, and 2 of my generation are also dead. (I'm on the bottm end of that age-group)

BUT, I realized I wasn't a kid one day traveling in Japan. I had spent 3 days in a perfectly nice hostel in Osaka, and woke up thinking "scr*w this, I want my own room, and I'm willing to pay for it!" :D I was about 35.

ta,
mew

When did you realize you were old?

I don't know, it happened such a long time ago...

But seriously, when I saw my friend's children having children. I can't imagine being called 'granny'. :blink:

One of my "younger" friends (about 55) was pulled over by a very young and very female member of the local constabulary for "accelerating quickly" on the on-ramp. It was late at night, traffic was minimal to nil and he was pretty sure she thought she had a DUI.

After determining his sobriety she said "you're to old to drive like that". His reply was "you're never too old". No ticket.

I'll be 52 next month but wierdly enough, I've been feeling younger lately.

I'm coming to the end of my current job and career in software and, if I'm lucky and keep myself fit, I've got 30 good years left. That's as much time as I had from age 20 to age 50 -- enough time to start on a whole new career / vocation / love affair with life.

If I'd had a trust fund at age 20 equal to my net worth today, I could have done anything I wanted.

So... I can do anything I want now -- go back to school, find something I'd really LOVE to pursue, take a few chances, backpack around the world...

That's what feeling young is about for me -- the feeling that you've got the time to pursue your potential, whatever that means for you.

well I must say I read thru this entire thread and what Caroline said struck a chord with me since this is exactly what I would write... if could write so eloquently.

It's relative. I remember the first time I felt old was when I was 26 and playing a game of flag football against bunch of college students. The running part was fine, but being 26 was "too old" to a bunch of college chicks.

The second time I felt old was standing outside a night club and thinking why would anyone want to freeze theirs asses off in -10 degree weather to pay $20 to get into an over crowded club when a perfectly fine English pub down the block can be entered without the indignity of standing in a stupid line. I was 33.

I'm 60, and have never felt old. Unfortunately, to an increasing extent, my body disagrees with me. I'm only speaking about minor aches and pains, so I feel very fortunate to be where I am physically. Being mentally flexible is what keeps me young.

My secretary's brother (21 years old) was in Afghanistan. He and his platoon would go out on missions for days. i asked her if her brother's platoon had any older guys leading the way for the younger guys. She said her brother was one of the older ones but they had one really old guy around 35.

I felt old the first time I went into a store and the store clerk said, "Sir, may I help you" instead of looking as if I was about to swipe something.

So make what you want of this.

Yesterday I was in Lowe's. Two young contractor guys walked in ahead of me. Their company name was on the truck parked next to my car. I met them in one of the isles coming towards me. The both said one after the other: good afternoon, sir. I replied, good afternoon.

Have not seen them before or since, have no idea who the were, having a mild case of CRS, can't remember their company name.

Next I headed to the checkout, which was busy, a young cashier lady walked up to me and said, sir I can take you at the other register. I said with a sly smile, it is a bit public is it not?

She laughed so hard, had to re-scan the price a few times before she got it right. When the transaction was completed, still giggling, she said: see you again soon. Charming said I, smiling, and left.

Maybe this belong in the what did you do yesterday thread.:D

Believe me, young dreamers, when you get to a certain age just going to work every day is a huge accomplishment and about all you can handle. So, I recommend planning to ER before you get old, or at least having a "Plan B" in case you feel the need to do so.

At 53, I don't exactly feel old, but kind of what W2R said. Pulling myself to work every day is taking just about everything I've got, and I sure wish I'd been more concerned about retirement earlier in life. If I could retire now, I think I'd feel like a mere child, but who knows?

I felt old twice in my life. Once at 36 and during my 52nd year.

At 36 I had owned our restaurant for 9 years, and I realized that my innocence was gone.

Along with stealing our wines, great cuts of meat, not showing up for shifts as scheduled and taking money from the till, my continuous flow of employees had finally convinced me that people can smile and swear loyalty while financially raking me over the coals. It was a sobering moment. I wanted to see the best in people but my experience was showing me something else.

At 52 I had some health issues that took several years to untangle. It was difficult because it affected both my energy levels and psychological outlook. The issue is now under control and I feel younger now than I did then.

Recently I attended my grandniece’s first birthday party wearing fuzzy pink party horns that I purchased in Thailand. My other sister had hers on as well, and my niece had a hat that her in-laws made for her - something that looked like a 2 foot teapot with stuffed long sleeve gloves flailing on the sides. We were a sight and we loved it!

Glad I got my corny outlook back. Laughter keeps me young.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

After determining his sobriety she said "you're to old to drive like that". His reply was "you're never too old". No ticket.
"Well, Your Honor, I was doing fine up until she told me I was 'too old to drive like that'. How old are you, Your Honor?"

Back
Top Bottom