Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not old. Those other guys I see all around, they are the old ones.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am not old. Those other guys I see all around, they are the old ones.

Ha
My dad says "those old people can't drive" when referring to Florida drivers. He's 78...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
So tell me--when did YOU realize you were old?
I may be "getting old" but I don't think I'll ever get there.

I'm aware that I have a certain amount of energy available at the beginning of every day. If I use it up by noon doing yardwork then I probably shouldn't be going to taekwondo that night. But sometimes I still do.

Reminds me of Jesse "The Body" Ventura's line in "Predator": "I ain't got TIME to bleed get old!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old? I ain't old! I'm just a punk kid! Heck, I'm only 52...and I know that ain't even close to old!!! Besides, I still play in the dirt, and play with trains (gardening & model railroading).

Some folks think 52 is old, but not me. Heck, my Mom's 82 years old, but that's not old either, 'cause we have coffee with her old boss who is 92! But he says he's not old, 'cause there's a nice jovial couple that we also have coffee with that the husband is 94 and the wife is 95! But, a few weeks ago, they said that they weren't old 'cause his sister will be 100 in a few weeks, and he said she had told him that she isn't old because she wasn't born in the 1800's!

So, I think "old" must just be a figment of our imaginations! And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Old? I ain't old! I'm just a punk kid! Heck, I'm only 52...and I know that ain't even close to old!!! Besides, I still play in the dirt, and play with trains (gardening & model railroading).

Some folks think 52 is old, but not me. Heck, my Mom's 82 years old, but that's not old either, 'cause we have coffee with her old boss who is 92! But he says he's not old, 'cause there's a nice jovial couple that we also have coffee with that the husband is 94 and the wife is 95! But, a few weeks ago, they said that they weren't old 'cause his sister will be 100 in a few weeks, and he said she had told him that she isn't old because she wasn't born in the 1800's!

So, I think "old" must just be a figment of our imaginations! And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!
This reminds me of a story from my sister... she is a nurse and there was this 80 something guy who was in the hospital for whatever... the nurses were asking him who was going to pick him up... he kept telling them 'his mother'... they thought he had a 'senior problem' and just did not know...

Then, when he was being discharged.... his 100 something MOTHER drove up to pick him up...

Sometimes.... they say what they mean...
Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #66

In a month IŽll turn 60. I feel old. Started this feeling shortly after I ER, 4 years ago. Not because I stopped working-i hated my job and lawyering. I donŽt know why. Maybe I had too much free time to think plus me being rather negative. Maybe due to age related ailments appearing. Maybe being around people still working, mainly my wife...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #67

At the time of my second heart surgery. I was 30. I was reminded of my age last summer when I had my next heart surgery. I'm 37 now.

But, I know age is really a state of mind. My Grandma, at the age of 90, was a volunteer at her local retirement community. She liked to "help the old folks."
Most were younger than her.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #68

When I hit 90, like my grandparents, I will start wondering if I am old or not.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

When I realize I left my two front tooth partial soaking in the denture cleanser on my way out the door and don't really give a rat's pa toot.

heh heh heh - I'm thinking after 49-66 ER of giving myself an honorary graduate degree next year at 67 to er ah regular retirement.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #70

On days when I'm doing front, back and side Judo falls on the rubberized floor of the Y's gym, and a couple of guys come in to set up the chairs for the Silver Sneakers exercise class, I realize that I'll be old when I do my exercises sitting on a chair with some instructor VERY LOUDLY calling out the cadence.

You gotta be 65 to belong to that class. So I'm not yet old, cranky yes.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #71

About 10 year ago, an octogenarian I was visiting showed me a calendar with "X'es" on certain days. I asked what that was about, and she laughed and said "Honey, there are 3 stages in life. When you are young, you think of nothing but sex. In your middle years, money figures largely. And when you're old, you keep track of your bowel movements". I guess I'm in my middle years.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Perks of reaching
Or being over
And heading
Towards
70!

Kidnappers
Are not very
Interested in you.
In a hostage situation,
You are likely to be
Released first.
No one expects
You to run --
Anywhere.
People call at 9 PM
And ask,
'Did I wake you?'
People no longer
View you as a
Hypochondriac.
There is nothing left
To learn the hard way.
Things you buy now
Won't wear out.
You can eat
Supper at 4 PM.
You can live
'without sex
But not your glasses.
You get into
Heated arguments
About pension plans.
You no longer think
Of speed limits
As a challenge.
You quit trying
To hold
Your stomach in
No matter who walks
Into the room.
You sing along
With elevator music.
Your eyes
Won't get
Much worse.
Your investment
In health insurance
Is finally beginning
To pay off.
Your joints are more
Accurate meteorologists
Than the national

Weather service.
Your secrets are safe
With your friends
Because they can't
Remember them either.
Your supply of brain cells
Is finally down to
A manageable size.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

I dunno? When you can't cheat any more, and you can't score marijuana to smoke?

(I kid, I kid! I saw those other topics and my brain fused them into an answer for this one. For my next trick I'll just vanish into a swirling self-referential singularity...)
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

By the OP's definition when I was about 30. By my measure, when I want to go out and can't. I hope I never get there.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #75

When I turned 62 I remember thinking that "wow, now I'm old." It's only when I get a little ache or pain that I remember how old I am now...so it's really important that I keep doing water aerobics/jogging to keep flexible to fool myself that I'm not old.
The things I wondered about when I was young were if it would bother me when my coal black hair turned silver/white and would I feel like a fool when I asked for Sr. discounts? The answers finally have come and they are no and no.
I'm having a good time at this age and really love the peace of mind and lack of anxiety that comes as a reward for living a long time and having experienced much.
I'm digging being a senior citizen!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #76

That's hysterical, Calmloki! Thanks!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianteddy View Post
DH and I recalled the days growing up when TV only got 4 channels
I remember when TV only had one channel (in St. Louis, where we were living at the time). I was still very little when we went from one to two channels, and the concept of having a second channel absolutely blew my little girl mind!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #78

I've been feeling the aging process over the past couple of years as things that once worked very well on the old bod have started breaking or going on the fritz. Then four weeks ago, we left our baby-girl at the university for her freshman year.

I don't think I would feel so old if I were able (time wise) to get into better shape, able to go out camping in a tent (no place to do that here, and DW wouldn't come anyway), go canoeing or kayaking on the local lake (there isn't one for a couple hundred miles and I don't have a kayak or canoe anyway - no place to store it).

I think all of this is why I am so looking forward to FIRE, so I can spend more time on getting into better shape and doing the things I want to do. I'll be older then (51 at anticipated FIRE, just about 48 now), but I will probably feel a lot younger.

R
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #79

I was chatting with a friend, and we both had been thinking about how close 60 is getting. We decided, hell, no getting around it, middle age has come and gone, we're just plain old.

With apologies to those 60 and over.

Coach
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #80

My most memorable aging shock was the first time I sunburned my bald spot. I didn't even know I had a bald spot.

A common moment for men I think is when we realize that cute young thing really doesn't even consider us in the constellation of males any more.

Coach