When did you feel old?

I'm just a big kid, and always will be...and I absolutely refuse to act my age!!! However, about 2 weeks ago I had dinner with my ex-fiancee's youngest daughter, who was still in grade school when her mom and I started going out.....she's finishing up her internship shortly, and will be graduating from college in May! And another girl that I used to baby sit, graduated from college, got married, and has 3 kids!

Sure seems like kids these days grow up and get old a whole lot faster than they used to. I'm just glad that we don't get old that fast! :LOL:

DH and I recalled the days growing up when TV only got 4 channels -We all had to watch the same programs-gave us commonality -

Then we sang the theme song to Beverly Hillbillies

Remembering TV repairmen coming to the house

Bread & Milk delivery

(and for fellow Canadians) When the Union Jack not the Canadian Flag hung in every classroom

Last edited:
When did you realize you were old?

I just turned 50 this last Friday, and although not old in any real sense of the word it was real enough to give me pause and to reflect on my life. On another message board I frequent where the readership is a bit younger someone posted the above question and someone else posted the answer that sums it up for me.

When did you realize you were old?

When you realize that you can go anywhere you want to, and stay out as late as you want to.....and you don't want to!
So tell me--when did YOU realize you were old?

I'm not old. :LOL:
My driver's license tells me I'm 51, but my mind tells me I'm 19. ;)
Age 19 was a special year for me as far as my first big adventure goes. :D

Happy belated birthday.

When I found myself writing traffic tickets to teenagers who were born the year I came on the police department.

My favorite t-shirt:

"Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old wondering what the hell happened."

Neither DW nor I are old. Instead, we are experienced, well-versed, mature, seasoned, enduring, vintage, long-lasting, time-honored, perennial, inveterate, and ripe.

I have separated people from the military (worked in the section that writes up the DD-214's) that I am old enough to have given birth to!

I am old enough to know better, but young enough to go ahead anyway....darn, when this attidude changes will that mean I am "old":confused: It really is just a number ya know...I tell my 96 year old grandmother this anyway!

I am not old. Those other guys I see all around, they are the old ones. :)

Ha

So tell me--when did YOU realize you were old?
I may be "getting old" but I don't think I'll ever get there.

I'm aware that I have a certain amount of energy available at the beginning of every day. If I use it up by noon doing yardwork then I probably shouldn't be going to taekwondo that night. But sometimes I still do.

Reminds me of Jesse "The Body" Ventura's line in "Predator": "I ain't got TIME to [-]bleed[/-] get old!!"

Old? I ain't old! I'm just a punk kid! Heck, I'm only 52...and I know that ain't even close to old!!! Besides, I still play in the dirt, and play with trains (gardening & model railroading).

Some folks think 52 is old, but not me. Heck, my Mom's 82 years old, but that's not old either, 'cause we have coffee with her old boss who is 92! But he says he's not old, 'cause there's a nice jovial couple that we also have coffee with that the husband is 94 and the wife is 95! But, a few weeks ago, they said that they weren't old 'cause his sister will be 100 in a few weeks, and he said she had told him that she isn't old because she wasn't born in the 1800's!

So, I think "old" must just be a figment of our imaginations! And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!:rolleyes:

Old? I ain't old! I'm just a punk kid! Heck, I'm only 52...and I know that ain't even close to old!!! Besides, I still play in the dirt, and play with trains (gardening & model railroading).

Some folks think 52 is old, but not me. Heck, my Mom's 82 years old, but that's not old either, 'cause we have coffee with her old boss who is 92! But he says he's not old, 'cause there's a nice jovial couple that we also have coffee with that the husband is 94 and the wife is 95! But, a few weeks ago, they said that they weren't old 'cause his sister will be 100 in a few weeks, and he said she had told him that she isn't old because she wasn't born in the 1800's!

So, I think "old" must just be a figment of our imaginations! And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!:rolleyes:

This reminds me of a story from my sister... she is a nurse and there was this 80 something guy who was in the hospital for whatever... the nurses were asking him who was going to pick him up... he kept telling them 'his mother'... they thought he had a 'senior problem' and just did not know...

Then, when he was being discharged.... his 100 something MOTHER drove up to pick him up...

Sometimes.... they say what they mean...

In a month I´ll turn 60. I feel old. Started this feeling shortly after I ER, 4 years ago. Not because I stopped working-i hated my job and lawyering. I don´t know why. Maybe I had too much free time to think plus me being rather negative. Maybe due to age related ailments appearing. Maybe being around people still working, mainly my wife...

At the time of my second heart surgery. I was 30. I was reminded of my age last summer when I had my next heart surgery. I'm 37 now.

But, I know age is really a state of mind. My Grandma, at the age of 90, was a volunteer at her local retirement community. She liked to "help the old folks."
Most were younger than her.

When I hit 90, like my grandparents, I will start wondering if I am old or not.

When I realize I left my two front tooth partial soaking in the denture cleanser on my way out the door and don't really give a rat's pa toot.

heh heh heh - :cool: I'm thinking after 49-66 ER of giving myself an honorary graduate degree next year at 67 to er ah regular retirement.

On days when I'm doing front, back and side Judo falls on the rubberized floor of the Y's gym, and a couple of guys come in to set up the chairs for the Silver Sneakers exercise class, I realize that I'll be old when I do my exercises sitting on a chair with some instructor VERY LOUDLY calling out the cadence.

You gotta be 65 to belong to that class. So I'm not yet old, cranky yes.

About 10 year ago, an octogenarian I was visiting showed me a calendar with "X'es" on certain days. I asked what that was about, and she laughed and said "Honey, there are 3 stages in life. When you are young, you think of nothing but sex. In your middle years, money figures largely. And when you're old, you keep track of your bowel movements". I guess I'm in my middle years.

Last edited:
Perks of reaching
Or being over
And heading
Towards
70!

Kidnappers
Are not very
Interested in you.
In a hostage situation,
You are likely to be
Released first.
No one expects
You to run --
Anywhere.
People call at 9 PM
And ask,
'Did I wake you?'
People no longer
View you as a
Hypochondriac.
There is nothing left
To learn the hard way.
Things you buy now
Won't wear out.
You can eat
Supper at 4 PM.
You can live
'without sex
But not your glasses.
You get into
Heated arguments
About pension plans.
You no longer think
Of speed limits
As a challenge.
You quit trying
To hold
Your stomach in
No matter who walks
Into the room.
You sing along
With elevator music.
Your eyes
Won't get
Much worse.
Your investment
In health insurance
Is finally beginning
To pay off.
Your joints are more
Accurate meteorologists
Than the national

Weather service.
Your secrets are safe
With your friends
Because they can't
Remember them either.
Your supply of brain cells
Is finally down to
[FONT=&quot]A manageable size.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I dunno? When you can't cheat any more, and you can't score marijuana to smoke? :whistle:

(I kid, I kid! I saw those other topics and my brain fused them into an answer for this one. For my next trick I'll just vanish into a swirling self-referential singularity...)

By the OP's definition when I was about 30. By my measure, when I want to go out and can't. I hope I never get there.

When I turned 62 I remember thinking that "wow, now I'm old." It's only when I get a little ache or pain that I remember how old I am now...so it's really important that I keep doing water aerobics/jogging to keep flexible to fool myself that I'm not old.
The things I wondered about when I was young were if it would bother me when my coal black hair turned silver/white and would I feel like a fool when I asked for Sr. discounts? The answers finally have come and they are no and no.
I'm having a good time at this age and really love the peace of mind and lack of anxiety that comes as a reward for living a long time and having experienced much.
I'm digging being a senior citizen!!!

Back
Top Bottom