When is it appropriate to follow-up in these scenarios (job searching)?

sizzlinkola

Dryer sheet wannabe
I'm in CA looking for a position in NYC. I’m going to be in NYC from May 3-4 and haven’t heard back from the two scenarios below. When is it appropriate to follow-up? If no response still, do I assume they’re not interested anymore?

First Scenario

I cold e-mailed the CEO of a start-up company and he said that they’ll consider me once they obtain Series B funding in 9-12 months. I replied with some persistence by stating how I could help in the immediate term to fulfill their upcoming milestones. He replied that he will “get back to me.” This was 3/31 and I haven’t heard back.

I sent a follow-up e-mail on 4/10 by giving him suggestions on the challenges they had with their product (which was publicly available info) to highlight my interest and experience. I also told him when I’ll be in NYC.

Second Scenario

A colleague introduced me to his contact at a small company (<10 people) as she expressed interest in my experience. However, there was no job posting or anything. She said she’ll review my resume and "get back to me ASAP." This was last Monday and I haven’t heard back yet. I also told her when I’ll be in NYC.

To be blunt, it doesn't look especially promising for you in either of these cases. My suggestion would be to call May 2nd, or May 1st at the earliest.
It's possible that either, or both, have an interest but simply does not have a current opening. In this case, there would likely be little interest in planning an interview way out in the future. BUT, getting a call where the applicant will be there in another day or so might prompt one of them to block out a little time for a mini-interview.

In both cases, you were given the polite answer given you were in person and cold calling, or something changed quickly after. I'd never contact either again if you want to hold out hope for the future with them (bridge burning, etc.)

If it were me, "I'll get back to you" means, "don't call me, i'll call you" - which means not on your schedule, maybe not ever.

I cold e-mailed the CEO of a start-up company and he said that they’ll consider me once they obtain Series B funding in 9-12 months. I replied with some persistence by stating how I could help in the immediate term to fulfill their upcoming milestones. He replied that he will “get back to me.” This was 3/31 and I haven’t heard back.

Companies, including start ups need to avoid free labor. While it sounds like an offer to help, it can be seen as an attempt to infringe on their rights. They need to keep clear ownership on their proprietary property. While your intention may not have out of place, the company needs to keep clear ownership.

When is it appropriate to follow-up? If no response still, do I assume they’re not interested anymore?

You have already done your followup. Assume they're not interested at this time. They have your contact info, so they will get in touch if they want to. Don't harass them.

In both cases, you were given the polite answer given you were in person and cold calling, or something changed quickly after. I'd never contact either again if you want to hold out hope for the future with them (bridge burning, etc.)

If it were me, "I'll get back to you" means, "don't call me, i'll call you" - which means not on your schedule, maybe not ever.

+1 except I might follow up with the friend as it seems there was only one interaction, but I'd be very polite about it.

Last edited:
I would build my trip around having a concrete interview in place. I wouldn't waste my time getting to know the city.

The first scenario is over and done. You've already contacted them twice after they told you they don't have anything for you now, so you've demonstrated that you don't understand business norms and that you could be difficult to work with. They are unlikely to consider you for future openings unless they are pretty desperate for some unique skill you have.

For the second one, you can send her a very short email the week before you go to NYC mentioning again that you're going to be in town and say that if she has time, you'd love to meet in person for coffee to talk about her company and get some general information about the industry and jobs in NYC. This is not an interview, it's professional networking. It shouldn't be longer than a half hour, but you can ask her to keep you in mind if she hears of other opportunities in the area as well as for roles at her company. You should plan to pay for the coffee, but let her pick up the tab if she offers since she's senior to you.

The first scenario is over and done. You've already contacted them twice after they told you they don't have anything for you now, so you've demonstrated that you don't understand business norms and that you could be difficult to work with. They are unlikely to consider you for future openings unless they are pretty desperate for some unique skill you have.

For the second one, you can send her a very short email the week before you go to NYC mentioning again that you're going to be in town and say that if she has time, you'd love to meet in person for coffee to talk about her company and get some general information about the industry and jobs in NYC. This is not an interview, it's professional networking. It shouldn't be longer than a half hour, but you can ask her to keep you in mind if she hears of other opportunities in the area as well as for roles at her company. You should plan to pay for the coffee, but let her pick up the tab if she offers since she's senior to you.

I think this is excellent advice. Move on from the first one and see if the second one will meet you for a brief informational discussion. You never know where that could lead.

Back
Top Bottom