When you KNOW you are old...

Our kid has been moving her iTunes account (synched to her iPod Touch) over to our Mac Mini so that our desktop PC's iTunes can be synched to her "old" iPod. Then she's going to give us that iPod for Christmas, already loaded up with classic rock, and show us how to make our own playlists.

In the process we learned that some of my 20-year-old CDs, including albums by Dire Straits and Robert Cray, have met their corrosion resistance.

I made a comment about having to haul out my old LPs and plugging one of our turntables into the PC to digitize the tracks. Once I explained the concept of "LP"s and "turntables", she said "Oh, we won't have to do that, you can just download all that old junk off iTunes or LimeWire."

I swear she gets that smart mouth from her mother...

This thread got me thinking about my 8 track tape player in my car during high school. I had to keep a matchbook cover nearby to jam against the side of the tape sometimes to keep it playing. Did you ever take an 8 track tape apart? I did and am amazed the crazy things worked at all:confused:

I bought a used car in '07; it has a CD player; can't imagine ever using it.

That's the spirit. See my disguise idea a few posts back (#33). >:D

Easy one - get a Fred McMurray / Mister Rogers style button down sweater from the Salvation Army....
I already have one...it's an old comfy thing!
I just had an inspiration - I have one of those "upside down bucket" hats that I bought in NYC a while back. I can pull it down so just my greys at the temples show.....
I already have a couple of those too! My favorite old boss (may he rest in peace), always wore one, so we refer to them as "Al hats".

Alternatively, you could just say you are retired and never give your age.
I have a couple of caps that state that fact....one says "RETIRED" in large white letters on blue, and the other one is my "Union Retiree" cap. Normally, they'll see that, and automatically give me a senior discount, 'cause they figure that I'm an old retired fart on fixed income! Whatever! I won't argue with them about it!!! :D

I just know some of these days one of my nieces is going to ask me not only why I don't switch to broadband but why it's called "dial"-up when you access the Internet over the phone line.

This thread got me thinking about my 8 track tape player in my car during high school. I had to keep a matchbook cover nearby to jam against the side of the tape sometimes to keep it playing. Did you ever take an 8 track tape apart? I did and am amazed the crazy things worked at all:confused:
My friend runs a site called 8 Track Heaven. Follow the links to the diagrams showing how they work.

I bought a used car in '07; it has a CD player; can't imagine ever using it.
Detroit always takes years to keep up to date. I remember buying a Bronco in 1987, five years after CDs came out and a CD player was not an option. Had to go aftermarket. Now I am looking for something that will allow me to play an iPod without the radio transmitter. Anyway, glad that they got it right by 2007

I just know some of these days one of my nieces is going to ask me not only why I don't switch to broadband but why it's called "dial"-up when you access the Internet over the phone line.
They will ask what a phone line is.

When I moved from the Bay Area to Seattle my mom came down to help me pack and drive. On the trip somewhere or other we stopped for dinner. As we read the menus, the conversation went something like this:

Mom: Hmmm, what will I have. This one sounds good, but it's kind of expensive.
Me: Mom, there's a discount if you're over 55.
Mom: Where does it say that?
Me: Right down here. (pointing)

Moral: if you want the discount, bring someone with you who can still see small print. I'll have to go back when I'm 55 and see if I can still read it, or maybe they've figured out by this time (going on 30 years later) to use bigger than 8-point print for the senior discount info.

Nick, our runner, had his last day at the office yesterday. He's maybe 20 and is working on an ambulance crew while studying to be a fireman/paramedic.

I asked him if he had to make ambulance calls to a lot of old people. He said they picked up one old lady whose id said she was born way back in 1924. He was surprised that she could still walk on her own at that age.

I've been told that not that many years ago, telephones actually had dials on them! :)

Mike

I've been told that not that many years ago, telephones actually had dials on them! :)

Mike

I actually have one in our guest room, authentic bell system rotary. Most guests prefer to use their cell phones. One actually asked what that thing was.
grin.gif

Now if i can just find a wall mounted crank, phone for the party line. 2 rings are us.
smiley.gif

Then add a switchboard with patch cords. Maybe that would be overkill.

I got a record player when I was 8 or 9 - was a small thing which only played one record at a time - meant mainly for 45s - then my brother thought he could use it as a potter's wheel - sigh - I still am not amused by that....:)

Nick, our runner, had his last day at the office yesterday. He's maybe 20 and is working on an ambulance crew while studying to be a fireman/paramedic.

I asked him if he had to make ambulance calls to a lot of old people. He said they picked up one old lady whose id said she was born way back in 1924. He was surprised that she could still walk on her own at that age.

This story is about 8 years old. I have a friend who is a pediatric cardiologist. He was given and ECG to look at, born on XX,XX,99. He looked at it for a while and decided "I don't know what's wrong, but this is one sick baby". He asked for a full history and DOB was 1899.

I already have one...it's an old comfy thing!
I already have a couple of those too! My favorite old boss (may he rest in peace), always wore one, so we refer to them as "Al hats".

I have a couple of caps that state that fact....one says "RETIRED" in large white letters on blue, and the other one is my "Union Retiree" cap. Normally, they'll see that, and automatically give me a senior discount, 'cause they figure that I'm an old retired fart on fixed income! Whatever! I won't argue with them about it!!! :D
I am seriously gonna do this at the local dollar store I frequent.
Gear : Bucket ("Al" :cool:) hat, Ben Franklin cheater glasses, and my AARP card.

Last one to get a discount in disguise is a rotten egg! :2funny:

Yakers----what equipment are you using for your recording conversions??--thanks
Got one of those ion turntables that goes into the computer via usb. They provide a program EZ Audio which transfers the files into itunes. Pretty good sound. If the records are good then I have not found filters to be necessary.
I had an earlier turntable that had a built in booster amp and imput via the microphone port, didn't work so well for me.

Another telltale giveaway of age came during a staff meeting a few years ago. One of our senior staff just made an an offhand comment that really struck gold.

He said, "Did you ever notice old people sigh when they sit down". :eek:

This came after all the oldsters had their seats. :p

Now that was our last secret and he had to give it away. :rant:

He said, "Did you ever notice old people sigh when they sit down".
That's a good one.

A related observation from just this week: I probably don't sigh when I sit down, but after sitting a while at dinner or in the car, when I get up I definitely am stiff and always give off one of those vague prolonged "gotta stretch" noises, like a throaty "oooooohhhh." Especially on days where I've jogged earlier in the day.

I saw one of those lists that tells you you're old if you remember (and I do) when:

1. Car headlight dimmer switches were on the floor.
2. Telephones had dials and the only one in the house was in the living room.
3. TV's did not have remote controls.
4. Color TV was new.
5. Windshield wipers slowed down when going uphill.
6. "Made in Japan" meant the item was junk.

That's a good one.
A related observation from just this week: I probably don't sigh when I sit down, but after sitting a while at dinner or in the car, when I get up I definitely am stiff and always give off one of those vague prolonged "gotta stretch" noises, like a throaty "oooooohhhh." Especially on days where I've jogged earlier in the day.
Guilty on both going down and coming back up again. Our kid knows that a great way to get off to a bad start is to wait until one of us parents has just assumed the sitting position and then call out to us "Mom/Dad, could you come take a look at this?"

Only if it involves fires, floods, or blood...

Back
Top Bottom