When you KNOW you are old...

I love the atmosphere in stores that hire 20 and 30-somethings until they say, "oh, today is discount day." I pretend to not realize what discount they mean until I check the receipt later to see they gave me the senior discount even though I'm not old enough yet. I knew I was getting older when those young'ins stopped IDing me.

Frig....I was in a grocery store the other day on senior day. The girl looked up at me and automatically rung up the discount. Senior day here is 65 and over.
img_763445_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

let's not forget the stacking gizmos for 45s - you'd need an adaptor to snug up the big center holes of the 45, and when the needle arm got to the end of the record it would retract, the next 45 in the stack would tumble down and the needle would move to the beginning of the track.

Or not. It might miss the record altogether or start 15 seconds into the song, or just jam. And the unforgettable sound of a warped record, kind of like a drunk singer.

?

Ethical question: Should I mention I'm not yet 60 when offered a discount?
You shouldn't be asked, that's rude and potentially insulting. If they think you qualify you should be automatically given the discount.

On the other hand, you can always ask, "Can I get a Sr. discount?" You aren't saying you qualify (and you may since some start at age 55), you are only asking if they will give you the discount...

Ethical question: Should I mention I'm not yet 60 when offered a discount?
H*ll no, take the discount and try not to smirk. :cool: It will certainly cover the sales tax. Laugh all the way to the bank for me. :D

Added later - I have jet black hair with only a little salt n peppa at the temples. I'm half tempted to go buy a solid grey wig, some cheater half glasses, flash my real AARP card and rack up those discounts, too. My local sales tax is 8.25%. so if I get maybe a 10% discount for mileage, I could take the difference and invest it. No guilt here - store markup is excessive to begin with.

But am I brassy enough to actually do this? :2funny:

Frig....I was in a grocery store the other day on senior day. The girl looked up at me and automatically rung up the discount. Senior day here is 65 and over.
img_763473_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif
Look at it this way...today's cashiers can't do the simple math for change unless the computer tells them the answer, correct?
If the cashier sez you get a discount, who are you to argue ? :D

I'll take a senior discount anytime some one offers it to me!!! If they think I look like I qualify....so what! I know how old I really am, and don't give a flyin' rip what they think! ;)

BTW....a 'senior' coffee at Hardee's is only 39¢.....and ya get free refills!!! I KNOW!!! :cool:

I'll take a senior discount anytime some one offers it to me!!! If they think I look like I qualify....so what! I know how old I really am, and don't give a flyin' rip what they think! ;)

BTW....a 'senior' coffee at Hardee's is only 39¢.....and ya get free refills!!! I KNOW!!! :cool:
That's the spirit. See my disguise idea a few posts back (#33). >:D

Let's not forget the stacking gizmos for 45s - you'd need an adaptor to snug up the big center holes of the 45, and when the needle arm got to the end of the record it would retract, the next 45 in the stack would tumble down and the needle would move to the beginning of the track.
Until we became audiophiles and then the very thought of stacking was anathema. Gotta hold those records by the sides, special cleaning kits (although that was probably declasse for the real fanatics). I understand there are some hold outs that still cling to vinyl as the best way to get true sound. Probably a few around here :)

Edit: PS: forgot about Macintosh amps. Common, fess up if you still cling to tubes for warm sound.

When people come to the p.d., I always take their d.l. for identification. I check out the date they were born...all of them thus far have been younger than me. I've seen hundreds of them. :p

78 record, was it smooth on on side?

First project on retiring has been turning old vinyl into MP3s, mostly 33s but a few 45s. Currently don't have any 78s. I am about 2/3 done with the project. Also turning old slides into JPEGs.

Alternatively, you could just say you are retired and never give your age. "I know," are you quoting Craig Ferguson?

...I'm half tempted to go buy a solid grey wig, some cheater half glasses, flash my real AARP card and rack up those discounts, too. My local sales tax is 8.25%. so if I get maybe a 10% discount for mileage, I could take the difference and invest it. No guilt here - store markup is excessive to begin with.

Store markup, not to mention the cost of those gray wigs & half glasses. ;) I don't buy anything extra to look old, but am tempted to accentuate my age, don't ask me how.

Store markup, not to mention the cost of those gray wigs & half glasses. ;) I don't buy anything extra to look old, but am tempted to accentuate my age, don't ask me how.

Weird thing is I've been looking younger since retirement.

I don't look like 30 or 40, but apparently look like 'only' 50 or so.

Easy one - get a Fred McMurray / Mister Rogers style button down sweater from the Salvation Army and a pair of half glasses ($4 tops) at the dollar store. Keep both in the car for just these occasions. >:D
I just had an inspiration - I have one of those "upside down bucket" hats that I bought in NYC a while back. I can pull it down so just my greys at the temples show. I can borrow one of dh2b's pairs of half glasses. this will be more fun than Halloween.

Easy one - get a Fred McMurray / Mister Rogers style button down sweater from the Salvation Army and a pair of half glasses ($4 tops) at the dollar store. Keep both in the car for just these occasions. >:D
ROLFL, that is soooo funny on so many levels.:D

Quote:
I imagine I've dated myself many times
I did that a lot in high school.

Isn't that illegal in several states?

Back
Top Bottom