When you KNOW you are old...

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Earlier today I was meeting with a group of young pharmacists, social workers, nurses, etc., average age maybe 28 or 30. At one point it was clear that someone was way ahead of the group and needed to slow down.

So I said something like, "Whoa - hold upa minute. You're on 78 RPMs and I'm on 33 and a third." I saw all the faces go blank, and then the awkward silence. I burst into laughter, realized how ridiculous I must have sounded to those kids, and apologized for using a VERY old reference.

So any of you under-40 types, would you have know what I was referring to?

I imagine I've dated myself many times by using old-fashioned expressions, but that one squashed the conversation faster than any I can remember. I have to start paying more attention to the generation gap.

I'm in my mid-thirties and get the reference. I only remember playing a lot of records from when I was under 10, but they were still popular in secondhand music shops partway through high school.

At my 34 years of age, that's an easy reference. My favorite record I owned was one of The Muppet Movie.

I'm in my mid-thirties and get the reference. I only remember playing a lot of records from when I was under 10, but they were still popular in secondhand music shops partway through high school.

In neighborhoods like mine, vinyl is back; albums and bigholes and even old 78 rpm shellacs. Many shops sell them.

I think any young hipster would know exactly what you mean. BTW, remember how much fun it was to take an 33 1/3 LP and make it into a Chipmunks song by going at 78?

Ha

Mid thirties and I got it.
Parents had collection of LPs 33 1/3 and few singles with 45 RPMs.
Never seen anything 78 RPMs except for museum.

I'm their age(29) and only vagely new what you were talking about(I knew it was music related). I've never personaly used a record in my life but have several DJ friends most of whom still use records

I STILL have a DOUBLE cassette deck in my basement, ala "boom box". It has "2x high speed dubbing" and "Dolby noise reduction" too..........:)

this is interesting reading about recording media history.
History of Vinyl*-*The Vintage Record
CDs came into vogue in the early 1980s, after the LaserDisc had some limited success. That's only 28 years ago.
I'm 50 and I know what a grammaphone is, circa 1880s.
You're not old, your audience is just oblivious to history. :D
Agree. My contry cousins had no electricity when I was a boy. We played music on something called a Victrola. You cranked it (I suppose to wind a spring) and used a fairly big steel needle. The sound encoded in the record grooves had no electronic amplification, just came out through a big cone which functioned as a megaphone.

The music was great-Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Hank Williams and a lot of hillbilly music that I don't remember. Mostly about pain and attempts to loose it through alcohol, Jesus, and women.

Ha

A related expression: "Like a broken record".

A related expression: "Like a broken record".

Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap>

At the end of side 1 of the James Gang's Yer' Album, their first release, it says "turn me over - turn me over..."

At the end of side 2, it's "play me again - play me again..."

:DIf I only count my years in the USA i'm only 43! That was the start of a new life and HI FI (that is High Fidelity) for the young'uns.

In that spirit my HIFI stup has:
Single play turntable.
Record player with changer for 45s and 33 1/3s
8 track
Reel to reel deck.
Dual cassette w/ high speed dubbing.
1st Generation Mosfet Amplifier.

Most visitors marvel at the "antiques"

I did sell the "electron tube" tuners and amplifiers. Yes, I do use zip cord for speaker wire.
grin.gif

Well, I was under 40 once....:-[ I know all about the 78's and 33 1/3. I love listening to those records except when it gets to the "fryin' chicken" part. :D

Well, I was under 40 once....:-[ I know all about the 78's and 33 1/3. I love listening to those records except when it gets to the "fryin' chicken" part. :D

My grandad has a working Victrola, and used to "crank up" those scratchy 78's after a hard day of haying and a little whiskey.......:D

Let's not forget the stacking gizmos for 45s - you'd need an adaptor to snug up the big center holes of the 45, and when the needle arm got to the end of the record it would retract, the next 45 in the stack would tumble down and the needle would move to the beginning of the track.

Or not. It might miss the record altogether or start 15 seconds into the song, or just jam. And the unforgettable sound of a warped record, kind of like a drunk singer.

I forget which speeds my Fisher Price player played on. I'm sure I mostly played 33's at 78 though a la chipmunk.

These days, if you want to talk about vinyl to the younger crowd, just mention that you are gonna drop it on the ones and twos.

I got the reference, but I also DJ'd at a radio station for a bit and did a little scratchin and spinnin on the ones and twos myself. (sub-30 year old here)

I still have a large collection of 33 1/3's & 45's.....and I think we still have a few 78's stored away somewhere. I always loved playing records on the wrong speed....it didn't matted if they played toooo fast or waaay tooo slooooow....it was always a great rainy (or snowy) day pass time!

Those were the days.....Alan Sherman's "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda"....and "Rat Fink"......Loren Green singing "Bonanza", and "Ringo" on the flip. Also the Woodstock multi-record set....and Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" album!!! Jethro Tull's "Aqualung". And 45's of Nat King Cole, Eddy Arnold......

I also still have loads of 8-tracks, as well as a working 8-track player hooked up in my stereo system......and a couple of portable 8-track players too. Add in 4, dual cassette decks.....2 portable...2 in home stereo systems. I sold my reel-to-reel deck...never used it much.

I've been wanting to get one of those all-in-one players....CD, cassette, vinyl....but every time I seriously consider it, I put it off 'cause I'm too cheap!

Alvin & the Chipmunks singing "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda"

Last week I was having a beer with an old buddy at a bar/grill and we were talking college football. A couple of girls heard us and joined in. Both probably in their late 20's.>:D About the time I started feeling a little younger and confident, the yes sir no sir replies started. Back to reality. :(

.... A couple of girls heard us and joined in. Both probably in their late 20's.>:D About the time I started feeling a little younger and confident, the yes sir no sir replies started. Back to reality. :(

I love the atmosphere in stores that hire 20 and 30-somethings until they say, "oh, today is discount day." I pretend to not realize what discount they mean until I check the receipt later to see they gave me the senior discount even though I'm not old enough yet. I knew I was getting older when those young'ins stopped IDing me.

Last week I was having a beer with an old buddy at a bar/grill and we were talking college football. A couple of girls heard us and joined in. Both probably in their late 20's.>:D About the time I started feeling a little younger and confident, the yes sir no sir replies started. Back to reality. :(

Hey, they might have been sweet on you. I sometimes say yes Mam to someone in her 40s, just to stir the bucket.

Ha

I love the atmosphere in stores that hire 20 and 30-somethings until they say, "oh, today is discount day." I pretend to not realize what discount they mean until I check the receipt later to see they gave me the senior discount even though I'm not old enough yet. I knew I was getting older when those young'ins stopped IDing me.

haha- a few days ago I got ID'd. On the bus to be sure I really was 65. :p Once I didn't have my pass and got ID'd. I just took off my hat and showed him my gray hair. Case closed!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom