Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where did you grow up?
rural 32 23.53%
small town (roughly, up to 20,000, 25,000) 39 28.68%
urban 26 19.12%
suburban 39 28.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Watched my small home town grow from 20k to 40k to 60K. Everything around it did the same thing so what was once a duck and potato farming area become just another suburb by the time I left for college.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
... my Mom was a nurse but she was a stay at home Mom once we came along .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My mom was a nurse too... She also quit working when the kids came along. She stitched people up and pulled out fishhooks.
I was raised by an RN too-- I wonder how many Boomers grew up with a parent of that occupation.

Absolutely no sympathy under our roof for anything short of convulsions or arterial spurting, and threats that we'd have to stitch up our own wounds if we weren't more careful... great parenting training.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Small town (pop. 700) in Montana. There aren't that many towns in Montana with > 25,000 people. We got a lot of our food hunting, fishing and gardening. We butchered a lot of our own meat. I would say that my "close to the land" upbringing played a large part in my frugal nature and tendency to LBYM.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My mom was a nurse too, met my father at the TB sanitarium where he was a patient. Probably would be unethical today for them to get attached. She also quit working when the kids came along. But she was still the informal medical person of our rural area. She stitched people up and pulled out fishhooks. I remember watching with fascination.

This is uncanny . My Mom was working at a TB sanitarium and my Dad was stationed next door and that is how they met . Small World !
Old 07-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Osceola, IN. About 10 miles from South Bend, so I've been reading with great interest Nords' stories about his daughter's college visits.
I worked in Elkhart, making, guess what, modular homes offices, for a few months after college, circa 1983.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I chose suburban. My family moved every 2-3 years due to Dad's career but most of my formative years were in suburban areas. I also spent a significant amount of time in rural and urban areas while growing up. My main influence, however, was the constant moves. I never had a chance to put down roots or develop an attachment to any particular place or country.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Rural.
Birth to 6: small farm on dirt road not too far from small town (~3000)
6 to 12: small rental house on dirt road on other side of town (walking distance of the Hudson River)
12 to 18: parents built modern house on same road a mile closer to town (where road was paved)

We got mail delivery to the house when I was 16.

occasionally took bus trips to NY City for shows, museums, world's fair...

5 to 12: spent summers on grandparents' farm adjacent to small town in Maine

Frugality? I learned early that money was something we didn't have a lot of, so I never got into the habit of asking for stuff.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Small town (pop. 700) in Montana. There aren't that many towns in Montana with > 25,000 people.
I grew up on a grain farm somewhere north of Montana:

Nearest town (population 200), 5 miles.
Nearest neighbour, 2 miles.
Nearest big city (population > 50K) 80 miles.
Nearest really big city (population > 500K) >>1,000 miles.

And I stayed there until I was well into my 20's. Took over the farm at 17 when DF became to sick to run it. Stayed until YB (young brother) was old enough and I had managed to get a degree in the winter months.

Today, YB is still there:

Nearest town (population 36), 5 miles.
Nearest neighbour, 3 miles.
Nearest big city (population > 200K) 80 miles.
Nearest really big city (population > 1,000K) ~=350 miles.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Grew up in a small town, population under 3,000, 110 miles from Dallas. Two very well known musical stars were born there - but didn't stick around. Maybe that's why neither are LBYM/ER types...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Suburban--kinda. I grew up in one of the first "master planned communities", a town of about 20K located 35 miles east of Los Angeles. There were malls in nearby towns, but none in ours. We had to drive to the other towns for McDonalds when I was little, but we had our own by the time I was 12.

Mom was a social worker, dad was an engineer. We were smack-dab in the middle class.

I had a great childhood. Our town was surrounded by empty brush-covered hills, and we'd go hiking all day, or riding our bikes. Parents didn't much worry about their kids roaming around in packs all day, visiting one house or another to raid the fridge. Evenings we played kick-the-can, Frisbee tag (on our bikes), took the BB guns out into the hills, etc.

Now the hills are covered with houses and the character of the place has changed drastically.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Small town in the country in Australia. Have to laugh at a small town being categorized as having up to 20,000 people. For us, 20,000 was the big smoke.
Yeah, hard to draw lines, but I decided not to try to get too accurate here and have rural, really small, small, medium towns, cities, megalopolis, etc.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Urban.
I think Martha's theory is correct. Even way back then, most of the population was urban /suburban. Poll seems to be 50/50.

Free to canoe
Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #33

I grew up on a farm in south GA. Nearest town (pop. 4,000) about 4 miles away. (On a dirt road like Khan.)
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey Gindie

I was born and raised in South Bend itself -- hi, neighbor!!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in a city. Until I was about 8 an electric streetcar ran by my house. However my grandparents had a farm, and I spent many summers there. When I was quite young I got used to going anywhere I wanted by myself on public trans. In many ways I have reverted to a similar way of living.

Ha
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #36

Very small island town. Close to the city of Charleston but very much our own identity and governance.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #37

small town of 3,000 about 60 miles from Chicago
Old 07-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #38

Unclemick, you are from my neck of the woods....Castle Rock for me until leaving in my early 20's for life out of the country. Longview was where we went to get to the "big" town. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't consider 20,000 to be a small town, I would probably cut it off at 5,000....but then you could get into too many choices I guess. Guess if you grew up in a bigger place then that might seem pretty small. About 1800 people when I was young...Castle Rock is up over 2,100 now!! Good place to grow up, but I sure won't be going back to retire....likely Spokane or even possibly here in the UK. Still leaving that one up to my wife (Brit), I can live just about anywhere as long as the area/town isn't too big.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
... I don't know about anybody else, but I don't consider 20,000 to be a small town, I would probably cut it off at 5,000....
Nor do I consider 10,000-20,000 a small town. The town we could walk into kept the population number just under 5,000 for many years; we thought the number was made up for some political reason. I went to a consolidated H.S. that drew from two small towns and a vast rural area which included several smaller towns, so my class graduated 147 (although many dropped out). It never really felt "rural" to me as we could walk to everything, stores, all-day movies, school although they ran buses, swimming beach, back roads, train and bus stations, farms, woods, parks, tourist sites, etc.

Free to Canoe suggests you can split the poll in two, that would put rural/small town in one lump, makes sense to me.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Strictly urban Chicago. School for both DW and myself consisted of K -12 in the Chicago Public Schools. My dad, his brother and his sister's husband all worked for the city. Our alderman was the most important adult in our lives outside of immediate family. When a tradesman came to our home to make a repair, he was generally a city employee, on the city payroll clock, stocked with city provided materials. Our neighbors were predominantly city employee families. It was total immersion in the politics and economy of Chicago.

Today, my arm just won't pull the "straight Dem" lever on the voting maching anymore. Revolt from too much of a good thing I guess.