Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Whether your property taxes would go up in CA would depend on where you now live and where you moved. There are 10 counties (last time I looked) that let you take your prop tax assessment with you. If you're interested, check out Props 60 and 90.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
That's if you're 55 or older and moving to a home of lesser value. It was specifically to address older folks not moving /downsizing because of the property tax hit. It does not address square footage - just closing sales prices of the sold and purchased homes.

When my stepmom sold her home 2 years ago the transaction had the buyer paying ALL of the closing costs - including the ones normally paid by the seller like realtor fees. This was to get the price low enough for the buyer to transfer the property tax rates under prop 90.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's if you're 55 or older and moving to a home of lesser value. It was specifically to address older folks not moving /downsizing because of the property tax hit. It does not address square footage - just closing sales prices of the sold and purchased homes.

When my stepmom sold her home 2 years ago the transaction had the buyer paying ALL of the closing costs - including the ones normally paid by the seller like realtor fees. This was to get the price low enough for the buyer to transfer the property tax rates under prop 90.

Yes, thanks for adding the age requirement and home purchase of lesser value. I didn't go into enough detail.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Back to the point and the OP's Q:

DW's more or less whole family live in the bay area at this point, and we used to (left after 8 yrs for LA, of all places (work move)) ... and we would go back now as RE to be close to family - if only we could find somewhere almost reasonable to live.

We lived in the East Bay (Pleasanton/Dublin), and it's a very kid-friendly area with good schools. It is probably 50-60 min to SF on BART, probably 60-75 min to SJ on CalTrain. If you need to get to SV proper, it's probably not a good fit. You can still buy almost reasonable housing in that area.

There is also the Piedmont/Montclair area right up the hill from Oakland. Nice houses and (*relatively*) reasonable prices, but commute only really works for OAK and SF, not SJ or SV and the schools are pretty atrocious at least after elementary.

Also you might consider areas further north like Lafayette or Walnut Creek or even Clayton depending on where you have to drive for work. If you can stay off the peninsula for work, then these may make sense, if not then IMO they do not.

As far as south bay, I would second the recommendation for Campbell and Willow Glen areas in San Jose, but be very careful about school district. Same in Mountain View - but there you will most certainly be confined to renting.

If you're open to a 40-50 min drive to SV from the south, could look in Santa Cruz. It's certainly cheaper and has a v specific vibe you'll want to check out before living there. if it's your cup of tea (college town, big surf community, beach city and a bit cut off by the coastal range from SJ/SF), then it may be a fit.

Bottom line, most in the Bay Area spend ~40-50% of their take home pay on housing and housing related (insurance, taxes) items. That's not necessarily a prescription to RE, but it is possible (we managed somehow).

Also highly recommend renting for a bit so you can get a real feel for a place and then buy if/when the next downturn comes. Buying in now is probably a little speculative IMHO.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
As far as south bay, I would second the recommendation for Campbell and Willow Glen areas in San Jose, but be very careful about school district. Same in Mountain View - but there you will most certainly be confined to renting.
Also keep in mind that the high school district is different from the elementary/middle school district around there.

When we lived in West San Jose (next door to Campbell) we had the "Moreland School District" which was elementary and middle schools. They were OK, my step daughter went to Moreland MS and it was adequate. She did OK there, but in hindsight, not great.

The HS district scared us. So we opted for the one of the local Catholic high schools (Archbishop Mitty) which had an very good college prep program - and was quite welcoming for our jewish kid (funny story, her Dad was freaking out about "catholic school" until his rabbi mentioned that he sent his kids to a Catholic HS, green light after that).

Anyway, my point is that the districts get complicated. You need to know the details - if you care about the schools.

Also, most of our Rose Garden neighbors sent their kids to catholic school K-12...
Old 01-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #45

0.04 or 0.4 percent? Mine are running about 0.65 percent of market value, including all he special assessments. I have owned the house almost 27 years. I have an inherited property with a 1975 base year transferred from another property that runs about 0.23 percent of market value, including all the add-on fees and special assessments.

I think that there are 8 or 9 counties left accepting Prop 90 base year transfers. San Diego is probably the most attractive of the lot.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
0.04 or 0.4 percent? Mine are running about 0.65 percent of market value, including all he special assessments. I have owned the house almost 27 years. I have an inherited property with a 1975 base year transferred from another property that runs about 0.23 percent of market value, including all the add-on fees and special assessments.

I think that there are 8 or 9 counties left accepting Prop 90 base year transfers. San Diego is probably the most attractive of the lot.
Yeah I've played around with this idea, did some online browsing of properties there. There was also a long thread about SD areas and real estate.

Just haven't gotten down there to look around though.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

There are 10 counties as of 2014.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sorry, I meant .4 percent.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #49
gone traveling

If you're only thinking about kids now and they won't be of school age until several years down the road, I'm not sure buying into an expensive school area and suffering a poor commute is worthwhile. I would find a place closer to work, build some equity and deal with the school situation later

Evergreen is a fantastic school district with really great elementary and middle schools, comparable to the best schools in the State. But the commute up the valley is typically on 101 and to downtown that's 30 min and Sunnyvale it's 45-60 during commute hours. To suffer that on a daily basis on a premise that you might have kids will be tough for the longest time

Evergreen has some great and newer houses. If you look outside of the Silver Creek country homes, you'll find places that are less than 1.2 MM or close to that with access to those great schools. But I fear the commute and grind may wear you down
Old 01-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingone View Post
Evergreen is a fantastic school district with really great elementary and middle schools, comparable to the best schools in the State.
Comparable to other public schools in the state. See, that's a problem given that it's California. Just saying...
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #51
gone traveling

There's a reason why I don't bother posting on here. So pedantic. Just saying
Old 01-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #52

Only 60 minutes? It was an hour and a half the last time I had to get to Sunnyvale for a medical appointment at 9 AM...

The schools in Evergreen are very highly rated because the Asian and Indian kids that make up the bulk of the student population are from families that are very achievement oriented. Tiger moms (and dads) dominate. An average kid in these settings might not fit in and might not be happy. A number of families in my neighborhood have opted for private schools, especially the Catholic schools, looking for a more well-rounded education.

The high schools have more issues because the high school district is East Side Union High School District. Some of the worst areas of San Jose are in the high school district boundaries. The district tends to be more focused on the issues related to that than on the good students.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The schools in Evergreen are very highly rated because the Asian and Indian kids that make up the bulk of the student population are from families that are very achievement oriented. Tiger moms (and dads) dominate. An average kid in these settings might not fit in and might not be happy. ...
Cupertino High exemplifies that. Football games are regarded as opportunities for the school band to play.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I would also think twice about paying extra to move into a super competitive school district, unless you are sure a high pressure, maybe high stress, achievement oriented culture is the right fit for your family. This article in the link below by a Bay Area mom might give you some food for thought:

"Slowly, though, I began to notice that our lives were less and less our own.....On weekends, if the children weren’t practicing piano scales or traveling to soccer matches, they were often studying. They rarely simply went out to play with kids in the neighborhood; everyone else was enslaved to a schedule, too. I could scarcely remember the last time I’d seen my kids play, tinker, daydream, relax, invent a game, write or read for pleasure, or do anything that wasn’t assigned to them by someone. They were so busy being little professionals that they had almost no time just to be children."

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/31/were...less_pressure/

If I had to do it over I would have picked an area with schools with test scores dialed down a notch or two than we did.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago there was an interview of the Superintendent of the Cupertino School District, he had been hired from Bainbridge Island SD - a high achievement district academically and athletics . He commented on the tiger mother culture and was fired.

I lived on Bainbridge Island, my SIL taught at 'Tino. What the now former Superintendent said is true.

Tags
bay area, housing