Where to buy in Bay Area, California?

There's a reason why I don't bother posting on here. So pedantic. Just saying

Only 60 minutes? It was an hour and a half the last time I had to get to Sunnyvale for a medical appointment at 9 AM...

The schools in Evergreen are very highly rated because the Asian and Indian kids that make up the bulk of the student population are from families that are very achievement oriented. Tiger moms (and dads) dominate. An average kid in these settings might not fit in and might not be happy. A number of families in my neighborhood have opted for private schools, especially the Catholic schools, looking for a more well-rounded education.

The high schools have more issues because the high school district is East Side Union High School District. Some of the worst areas of San Jose are in the high school district boundaries. The district tends to be more focused on the issues related to that than on the good students.

The schools in Evergreen are very highly rated because the Asian and Indian kids that make up the bulk of the student population are from families that are very achievement oriented. Tiger moms (and dads) dominate. An average kid in these settings might not fit in and might not be happy. ...

Cupertino High exemplifies that. Football games are regarded as opportunities for the school band to play.

I would also think twice about paying extra to move into a super competitive school district, unless you are sure a high pressure, maybe high stress, achievement oriented culture is the right fit for your family. This article in the link below by a Bay Area mom might give you some food for thought:

"Slowly, though, I began to notice that our lives were less and less our own.....On weekends, if the children weren’t practicing piano scales or traveling to soccer matches, they were often studying. They rarely simply went out to play with kids in the neighborhood; everyone else was enslaved to a schedule, too. I could scarcely remember the last time I’d seen my kids play, tinker, daydream, relax, invent a game, write or read for pleasure, or do anything that wasn’t assigned to them by someone. They were so busy being little professionals that they had almost no time just to be children."

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/31/wer...rk_too_many_tests_too_much_needless_pressure/

If I had to do it over I would have picked an area with schools with test scores dialed down a notch or two than we did.

Last edited:
A few years ago there was an interview of the Superintendent of the Cupertino School District, he had been hired from Bainbridge Island SD - a high achievement district academically and athletics . He commented on the tiger mother culture and was fired.

I lived on Bainbridge Island, my SIL taught at 'Tino. What the now former Superintendent said is true.

Back
Top Bottom