Which computer is better?

Which computer would you keep?

• Compaq Celeron D @ 3.20GHZ

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Dell Pent 4 @2.53GHZ

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... trying to do a comparison... on two OLD computers....

I have an old Celeron D at 3.20GHZ with 1 GB ram (not sure how configured)... it has Windows XP... this is a Compaq and is in a mid sized tower...

My friend gave me an old Pent 4 running at 2.53GHZ with 1 GB ram (2 sticks of 512... only two slots)... it also has Windows XP.... this is in a bit bigger tower and is Dell... it also has two DVDs

If it were your decision, what computer would you choose?

Pent 4, but try to increase your RAM. I'm still using a Pentium 4 as I type. I believe mine is 3.06ghz. I got this new for around $80 after rebates from Office Depot, but I immediately bumped up the RAM to 2.5GB. I never liked Celerons, they share memory, which makes the system slower overall.

Your old Celeron, since it's as fast and is not necessarily limited to just 1 GB ram. (But why do you have to choose, since you have both?)

Depends on what you want to use it for. The Celeron typically had less cache and, initially at least, no floating point processor. That would slow down games and graphics.

If it was me, I'd [-]buy a new one for $500[/-] try them both and see which one I liked best.

Your old Celeron, since it's as fast and is not necessarily limited to just 1 GB ram. (But why do you have to choose, since you have both?)

Well, I have two older computers in the garage and the wife is nagging me to get rid of all the old ones...

Also, I want to upgrade my mom's computer. The one she has is OK, but we did not set it up right away when we bought it and found out that the heat sink had broken off.... the clip to hold it down that is.. we have just stuck it on the chip with the cream that was there... but it sometimes overheats and turns off... the only fix I see for this is to buy another motherboard and I don't want to do that...

Depends on what you want to use it for. The Celeron typically had less cache and, initially at least, no floating point processor. That would slow down games and graphics.

If it was me, I'd [-]buy a new one for $500[/-] try them both and see which one I liked best.

Yea.... would like to buy a new one, but I keep complaining to the wife on all the stuff she buys or wants to buy... so I don't want to give her any ammo at this time...

Maybe on Black Friday I can pick up a cheap one....

I guess if forced to I would pick the Pent. 4. But, in reality, you can buy far, far, far better for very little now and I would just get a new one...

Also, I want to upgrade my mom's computer. The one she has is OK, but we did not set it up right away when we bought it and found out that the heat sink had broken off.... the clip to hold it down that is.. we have just stuck it on the chip with the cream that was there... but it sometimes overheats and turns off... the only fix I see for this is to buy another motherboard and I don't want to do that...

Here's a quick and cheap fix for this problem, if it's a desktop, pop off the door and run it that way. Then get a cheap little fan and use a power strip, the fan will be pointed at the motherboard and should keep it from overheating (hopefully).

Get a newer one, used, on craigslist. A lot of people want to upgrade their computers -- it's a buyer's market for last year's model. Make a few lowball offers for systems that sound nice. Be prepared to throw it away if it doesn't work. The technology advances so fast, that it really is a waste of time trying to baby or fix an older system.

Back
Top Bottom