Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Who Are You Voting For?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I voted today!

Took me less that 10 minutes!

Texas has early voting and I can't believe that more folks do not take advantage of it.

We have 2 weeks to get around to voting, then early voting stops a few days prior to election day, then those who have not voted yet can cast their ballot.

Don't wish to reveal here who got my vote.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I've never been to a polling site.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I've never been to a polling site.

Voted absentee ballot all my life.

Hawaii also encourages absentee balloting for any reason, anything to get the voting numbers up...

It's gonna have to be Kerry. But I'm not happy with the rest of the pack.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jarhead,

Old 10-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #44

Eric Margolis
Foreign Correspondent / Defense Analyst & Columnist

2004 Eric Margolis
www.ericmargolis.com

WHY REPUBLICANS STILL SUPPORT BUSH

NEW YORK - `Why do so many Americans still support Bush after all those damning revelations about Iraq? That’s the question I’m invariably asked when I travel in Asia and Europe.

Recent polls show that America’s current president has become the most unpopular and disliked man in almost every nation on earth – and that even includes traditional American friends like Britain, France, Brazil, Canada, Spain, Turkey, and Japan.

Former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan in his superb, must-read new book, `Where the Right Went Wrong,’ provides some answers.

`In 2003,’ he writes, ` the US invaded a country that did not threaten us, had not attacked us and did not want war with us, to disarm it of weapons we have since discovered it did not have.’

White House assurances US troops would be greeted in Iraq with flowers were as laughable as its pledges Mideast peace and democracy would ensue.

Chief US arms inspector Charles Duelfer’s recent, 960-page report contradicted almost every Bush Administration prewar claims about Iraq, which were used to justify an illegal war that has killed 20,000 Iraqis and nearly 1,100 Americans, caused 14,000 US casualties(wounded and sick), and costs US $200 billion at a time when Washington can’t even supply flu vaccine.

No administration official has accepted blame for this needless conflict, for lying to Congress and the public, for blundering into a no-win war, for encouraging widespread torture, or for provoking worldwide disgust at the once admired United States.

Either the self-proclaimed `war president’ and his men committed the worst set of blunders overseas since Vietnam, or they lied the nation into an imperial war to grab oil and boost Israel’s fortunes.

Republicans don’t care. Amazingly, a recent CNN/USA poll showed 62% of Republicans still believe Iraq was behind 9/11. This is after a flood of contrary evidence and Duelfer’s Report.

How can Republicans remain so blinkered? Part of the fault lies with the sycophantic national media, which allowed – even collaborated - with the Bush Administration in whipping up war fever. The media still is not telling people the truth about Iraq, Afghanistan or about al-Qaida and the so-called war on terrorism.

The media utterly failed to remind Americans that Bush, who loves to play war leader, actually made the preposterous claim that Iraqi drone aircraft were poised to fly off ships in the North Atlantic and bombard America with germs. Bush should have been laughed out of office for believing and promoting this comic-book nonsense. The national media simply ignored this farcical episode.

. . .
Old 10-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #45

Bob_Smith,

Old 10-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #46

Many Republicans simply don’t see what the rest of the world does. So what if Iraq was no threat, they say. Don’t bother these golf club Rambos with details. They’re delighted to see the US pounding Arabs in revenge for 9/11. Any Muslims will do. Particularly so for the millions of Bush-venerating Christian Evangelists whose demagogic leaders have been preaching up hatred of Islam.

Bush’s core Republican support lies in middle America: the suburbs, Midwest and Bible-belt rural areas, where most people don’t read books, rely on TV sound bites for their world view, and have only a childish understanding of history, geography or foreign affairs. This is the new, `dumbed-down Republicans Party,’ fertile ground for nationalist hysteria, religious extremism, and anti-foreign xenophobia.’

There are many thoughtful Republicans, particularly on both East and West Coasts -but also in Texas - who are dismayed by Bush’s enormous blunders and swaggering aggressiveness. But most will hold their noses and vote for Bush because Democratic opponent John Kerry has failed so miserably to show himself to be a `un-Bush.’ In many ways, as Ralph Nader says – and it’s Nader once again who will throw the election to the Republicans – Bush and Kerry are Tweedle-dum and Tweedle dee. Better to pick the one who will cut rather than raise taxes.

Buchanan identifies the real secret of the Republican Party’s current success: `cut taxes and don’t let the Democrats outspend us. ‘

No matter that Bush’s policies have created millions of jobs in China instead of the US, or that he turned a US $236 surplus into a $521 deficit. His tax cuts and spending win elections.

As this administration’s real president, VP Dick Cheney, observed to a horrified US Treasury Paul O’Neill, `deficits don’t matter.’ This kind of liberal-left Democrat economic voodoo used to be anathema to Republicans.

Today, there’s no real conservatives party left in Washington, says Buchanan. Only in tax-cutting do Republicans still hew to their principles. Otherwise, they are just like the wildest-spending liberal Democrats.

`Historically, Republicans have been the party of conservative virtues - balanced budgets, healthy skepticism towards foreign wars, …fierce resistance to the growth of government power.

`No more,’ says Buchanan. `To win and hold office, many have sold their souls to the very devil they were baptized to do battle with.’

As for Bush’s vow to wage unceasing war on America’s enemies around the globe, Buchanan quotes President James Madison:

`Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it compromises and develops the germ of every other. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.’

Oh yeah. I'm gonna vote Bush . . . NOT
Old 10-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although it was hard to read that copy-job, I sensed it had a hint of leftism.

It would be real scary if everything in that article were true and half of the the voting population of the United States is too stupid to realize it.

I had enough of politics in the ER forum since it's a no-win situation, so I won't be visiting this thread anymore. I'll stick with ER issues since work to me is a WMD.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #48

I guess that's the key here isn't it? Where were the WMD, retire@40? :-/
Old 10-19-2004, 05:18 PM   #49

As a recently retired military officer and a life-long Republican, I'm completely disgusted with GW. I have been against the Iraq War since the beginning and feel compelled to hold the CINC accountable for what I believe was a huge mistake and a no win situation. Bush has gotta go!!! Not happy about it at all.

B
Old 10-19-2004, 05:44 PM   #50

I like most of you a lot better when you are not
spewing garbage. I'm with John Galt and retire@40.

Charlie
Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #51

Quote:
I like most of you a lot better when you are not
spewing garbage. *I'm with John Galt and retire@40.

Charlie
One man's garbage is another man's Treasure!

No matter which side your on, I think you have to admit that the Average American Voter is Stupid!

When the Average person cannot recognize a picture of Dick Cheney or the Supreme Justice of the Supreme Court, but most recognize Monica Lewinsky or Judge Ito with no problem - You know the USA has a problem.

We are getting a Presidential campaign that is now pandering to these idiots. Both campaign's are now making statements that border on the ridiculous.

Americans get the government that they deserve, while they continue to blame the politicians. They need only look themselves in the mirror.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Worse than that...a national geographic survey showed that the majority of americans tested (those in their late teens) couldnt find the pacific ocean on a map.

I can see not knowing the capital of kansas, but you cant find the pacific ocean after graduating high school?

Voter misinformation is rampant, but we have ourselves to blame for that. Candidates can buy all the tv time they want and they've found that if you repeat the same information, true or not, often enough, people will accept it.

Did you know that by survey/poll roughly 62% of americans still believe that saddam hussein was behind the 9/11 bombings even though the 9/11 commission says there was no evidence of that, and even Bush/Cheney claim they never said there was?

There *is* that interview Cheney did where he said it was "Pretty well confirmed that Iraq and Hussein were involved in 9/11", but when questioned about that he swore he never said it. Unfortunately its on video tape. The video of him cutting off an interviewer who asked him about the quote where he says "I never said that", she looks at her notes and says "well yes, on xx/xx you told xyz that it was "pretty well confirmed..." and he cuts her off again saying firmly that he never said it...followed by the video of him saying it...was really the turning point for me wanting to support this administration.

The icing on the cake was the debate where the moderator was trying to put a question to Bush, who wanted to talk about something else. When the moderator insisted, Bush turned away from him and went about doing what he wanted to do. Incredibly, incredibly arrogant. You're at a moderated debate, you have agreed to follow the rules, then you do what you damn well feel like.

Changing stories, lying and arrogance. Not what I want in my leadership.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #53

I moved to a different state between presidential elections, and being the procrastinator I am managed to just miss the registration deadline. I'm disappointed that this will be the first presidential election I've missed since age 18. Oh well, I don't think Indiana is contested, anyway.

I'm disturbed by the increasing polarization of conservatives and liberals since the end of Reagan's terms. Or maybe it's been like this all along and I'm noticing more as I get older.

Some Republican coworkers of mine insist there were WMD's found in Iraq. They also seem to think the entire middle east should be wiped out. I hope that's a minority opinion.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Oldest nephew stopped by last night(in for seminar/training at the local Naval Air Station). His from the Republican wing of the family. Me: I'm voting for Kerry, Nephew: I'm voting for Bush. 87 year old mom: I really liked: FDR.

End of discussion - back to watching the Yankees/Red Sox.

Potitic's is simple if your mind is made up. And it was a good ball game: My mother and nephew were for Boston.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #55

Quote:
I may llive to eat these words, but I think Kerry fans are like Red Sox fans they "believe" but they picked the wrong team.

BUM
I am sitting here watching game 7 and Boston is up 6 to nothing. Yes it's only the second inning and there is the 'curse', but none the less it's looking pretty good for Boston, considering.

Bum, I would like to start preparing your Humble Pie. Would you like it stuffed with Crow?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #56

In Memory of a friend of mine who passed much too early some years ago GO BOSTON. I'm a Tigers fan. Score now 8-1 top of 4th
Old 10-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Oldest nephew stopped by last night(in for seminar/training at the local Naval Air Station). His from the Republican wing of the family. Me: I'm voting for Kerry, Nephew: I'm voting for Bush. 87 year old mom: I really liked: FDR.

End of discussion - back to watching the Yankees/Red Sox.
Unclemick, when it comes to politics, the well has been poisoned. A toast to your Mom, and congratulations to your family for putting politics into proper perspective.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

10-3 Boston, and even this sick-of-baseball-since-the-strike non-fan sat up and took notice.

After having self-identified as a liberal, it should come as no surprise that I'm in the anybody-but-Bush camp. Kerry is a politician, a point against him, but Bush puts us in greater danger daily as he ruins the budget, kills off our kid in Iraq, and alienates our allies.

Go Boston! Hey, they won!

Anne
Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

You bastards! I'm watching the game time-delayed on tivo and am only in the 4th inning...decided this, of all places, was safe to snoop through a little while watching.

AIYEEEEEEEEEEE! The internet destroys all suspense...

As an aside, now that I'm over that...

The wedge driving is a Bush administration thing. One of the things that really displeases me about them. Everything is black or white. You're with us or against us.

We need to be uniting under common causes and directions, not being divided into conservatives and liberals, republicans and democrats, gay and heterosexual, reds and blues, etc.

Its disappointing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 PM   #60

None of your business.

Voter behavior studies show that most voters in the US treat their political choices much like they treat their religious choices. They take it on faith that God is good and Satan is bad. Similarly, they take it on faith that Republicans or Conservatives are good and that Democrats or Liberals are bad . . . or vice versa.

Faith based politics makes democratic responsibilities easy. My party is good so I know how to vote. Political discourse is easy. My party is good so my party's politicians are truthful. The opposition is bad so the politicians from the other party are lying when they say bad things about my party.

When faced with an example that apparently contradicts their beliefs, they face a crisis of faith. They may rationalize the bad behavior of a politician from their own party. They may actually blame the other party. They may choose not to believe the facts that seem incriminating. But it is unlikely that they will challenge their own basic faith . . . that my party is good. Therefore politicians in my party are good.

Interestingly, most voters recognize the political faith tendancy in others, but believe that they are different. Few really are.