Who do you like in the World Series?

My fav Casey Stengel's quote re: Mets~

"Can't anybody here play this game?"

or

"The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed."

Stengel may have had more "Yogieisms" than Berra did.

My fav Casey Stengel's quote re: Mets~

"Can't anybody here play this game?"

Then there was the time "Marvelous" Marv Throneberry -- a very slow player -- surpisingly hit a triple. While on third, the opponents appealed to on the grounds that Throneberry missed second base, and the umpire called Marv out on appeal. Stengel was getting out of the dugout to argue the call and was looking for support from his first base coach Cookie Lavagetto. "Don't bother, Casey," Lavagetto reportedly said, "he missed first base, too."

One of my all-time favorite coaching quotes came from John McKay, who was the first coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers which lost the first 26 consecutive games of its existence. In a post game press conference after yet another loss, one reporter asked McKay what he thought about his team's execution. McKay responded, "I'm all for it."

Then there was the time "Marvelous" Marv Throneberry -- a very slow player -- surpisingly hit a triple. While on third, the opponents appealed to on the grounds that Throneberry missed second base, and the umpire called Marv out on appeal. Stengel was getting out of the dugout to argue the call and was looking for support from his first base coach Cookie Lavagetto. "Don't bother, Casey," Lavagetto reportedly said, "he missed first base, too."

One of my all-time favorite coaching quotes came from John McKay, who was the first coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers which lost the first 26 consecutive games of its existence. In a post game press conference after yet another loss, one reporter asked McKay what he thought about his team's execution. McKay responded, "I'm all for it."

Yeah McKay quote is classic. Recently I enjoyed Jim Mora going off. PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFFSSSS!??

I would like the Yankees to loose but do not think they will. I am a long time Tigers fan having grown up within reach of Ernie Harwell's radio broadcasts of Tiger games on WJR. I am saddened to learn that Ernie has inoperable cancer. Another figure of my formative years will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom