Who is beating the market YTD (2014) and how?

My IRR for all investments as of September 30 was 6.1% (down from 13.3% on June 30).

I ran the numbers this past weekend, though, and the IRR was down to 2.9%. If today's rally takes care of yesterday's damage, the 2.9% will hold.

Do you have a specific allocation and price target in mind for the international investment?

I do have a specific allocation 20% but not price target. I have been using Vanguard and Schwab ETFs (VEU, SCHF, and SCHE) but I don't have a good feel for how they translate into the EAFE index or something else.

Starting late last year I've been buying international, with emphasis on buying them in my taxable account (so I could get credit for the foreign taxes).

When I decided to cut back on equities, my international funds were flat to down, so I decided to do some tax harvesting.

I do intend to buy more international, since I think they are more of a bargain on relative basis now than they were a year ago. But of course I have to wait for a while to avoid the wash rule.

Although I use Quicken for all investments, the only thing I can track easily from an iPod is an IRA.

As of today, its YTD return is 0.39%

Wake up mama, turn your lamp down low!

I do have a specific allocation 20% but not price target. I have been using Vanguard and Schwab ETFs (VEU, SCHF, and SCHE) but I don't have a good feel for how they translate into the EAFE index or something else.

Starting late last year I've been buying international, with emphasis on buying them in my taxable account (so I could get credit for the foreign taxes).

When I decided to cut back on equities, my international funds were flat to down, so I decided to do some tax harvesting.

I do intend to buy more international, since I think they are more of a bargain on relative basis now than they were a year ago. But of course I have to wait for a while to avoid the wash rule.
Thanks

My IRR for all investments as of September 30 was 6.1% (down from 13.3% on June 30).

I ran the numbers this past weekend, though, and the IRR was down to 2.9%. If today's rally takes care of yesterday's damage, the 2.9% will hold.
According to this: S&P 500 Return Calculator - Don't Quit Your Day Job...
The annualized YDT return of the S&P500 as of the end of September was 15.75%. The index itself is down 7.47% since the end of September to 'now', putting the YTD at around 8.3%. I'm certainly not beating that!

My review of my YTD total return of the S&P index fund is 8.31%. I hold that in my Roth. My IRA is 100% O. Its total return (I reinvest dividends) this year is 24.87%. I had no idea that it was doing THAT well. Reason enough to harvest my MRD in December after dividends are invested.

DH's IRA is Wellesley Income which is 5.68% YTD. His Roth is also all equity and is not doing much better, all in all.

My review of my YTD total return of the S&P index fund is 8.31%.

Assuming you had a investment adviser that put you into the S&P, you can deduct a service fee of ~1.31% and have ~7% left. If you beat 7%, you beat the returns of most (85%+) advisers.

I beat the S&P in my IRA with IVW at 9.34%, my individual account is a bit less (4.95%) as I had a lot of cash in it earning .01%. I have since paid off a mortgage of $188K @ 5.5%.

In my Roth, I have a few dogs (BAC, ACH) which are getting weeded out. It stands at 5.54%.

Of course my RE portfolio has been stellar, bringing in 25%+ on my investments in rentals since 2008.

Assuming you had a investment adviser that put you into the S&P, you can deduct a service fee of ~1.31% and have ~7% left. If you beat 7%, you beat the returns of most (85%+) advisers.

I beat the S&P in my IRA with IVW at 9.34%, my individual account is a bit less (4.95%) as I had a lot of cash in it earning .01%. I have since paid off a mortgage of $188K @ 5.5%.

In my Roth, I have a few dogs (BAC, ACH) which are getting weeded out. It stands at 5.54%.

Of course my RE portfolio has been stellar, bringing in 25%+ on my investments in rentals since 2008.

Can't beat the real estate returns these past few years.

I am at 7.65% YTD between IRAs, 401k and taxable brokerage. Real estate is doing just fine for me as well.

YTD 2014 is plus 36% on a time weighted basis including dividends, margin interest and brokerage fees.

October has been extremely volatile and I am down this month due to overweight in energy stocks, which have been severely hit. Trying to trade around it as best I can.

Biggest single position has been Apple, which of course has done very well.

Still keeping the same strategy, modestly leveraged and writing the calls / selling puts on all names except Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Can't beat the real estate returns these past few years.

I am at 7.65% YTD between IRAs, 401k and taxable brokerage. Real estate is doing just fine for me as well.

I hold Vanguard's REIT fund in my Roth. That's 138 REITs in one.
The out-performance of REITs during the recent stock market correction has been noticeable. Glad I have this asset.

Year-to-Date
as of 10/23/2014 : 22.41%
as of 09/30/2014 : 14.01%

Looks like barring a meteor strike, I am going to close the year with gains. Despite the stock market gain, all my mutual funds underperformed S&P 500 (except for my S&P 500 index fund :blush:). It was no surprise for bond funds but my aggressive stock funds (chemical, emerging market) had low to mid single digit gains. That may bode well for next year if I want to stick with the current set.

If I RE'd last year, the gain would have almost covered my yearly expense.

Only 4-5 percent gain despite 100% equities. Internationals dragging me down. Hopefully they catch up next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Up around 8% nominal.

45/35/10/10 stocks, bonds, reit, cash

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

The large caps (read S&P 500) are doing very well this year, and trounce the small caps. We will see what happens next year.

+9.8% YTD in an all stock (65% domestic+35% International) Lrge Cap portfolio. Expect International stocks (Europe) to perform better in 2015.

Vanguard Account: + 10.4% YTD

Schwab Account: + 4.68% YTD

(Schwab is down due to oil holdings)

The above does not count funds in 3% PenFed CDs or cash in Ally accounts

Last edited:
Overall ~6.1% annualized return YTD per Quicken. Equity returns ~7.9% (great domestic equities offset by poor international equities) and fixed income ~ 2.8%

Overall return was 18%. Biggest winners: LLY - 41%, FDX - 24%, DUK - 21%, MMM - 22%, and JNJ - 16%. I'm crazy about dividends. I dumped the Vanguard International Index Fund in July. The rest was in Vanguard and FIDO funds.

Those beating the market through any sort of timing or other tricks this year will be those that trail it next.

Well, what if they sell the high flyers and buy the beaten down sectors now? Once you do a thing right, it is easier to do the next right thing.

That said, I will admit that I am not among those lucky ones this year. International and energy stocks let me down; I am holding them waiting for a better time. I am refraining from being greedy and piling on more. That hurt me in 2000-2002 when I kept buying semiconductor stocks on dips.

I always set my 'minimum amount to be happy' at 8%. I've been ecstatic over the past few years. But with a few days left, I don't think I'll make it this year.

Running about 7.0% as of yesterday after what was looking like a stellar year back in July.

Vanguard (87% of portfolio at ~60/40) - 11.1% - per Vanguard site for YTD)

Older I-Bonds (8% of portfolio) - (~4% - need to verify)

Cash/"High yield" Savings, Gold/Silver bars (5% of portfolio) (~0% - need to verify)

(Note: Vanguard funds had minimal International and Emerging Market Exposure)

Last edited:
YTD @ 6.98% in VG 3 Fund Portfolio. My ER plan is based on ESPlanner at ~3% real return and given CPI inflation at 1.7%, we're ahead of the game for 2014. I'm happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom