Who wears a Watch

Apple Watch. I’ve always worn what a former mentor dismissively called “Astronaut Watches.”

I've seen this question on other forums before. You'll probably find the spectrum of answers is predictable by age. Under 50, the answer is usually either No or what is a watch ?

As to myself, I grew up on a farm and we never wore jewelry of any kind as it was considered to dangerous around the machines and the animals. I've kept that same behaviour all my life. No watch, no wedding ring, no bracelets, no nose ring, no belly button ring, no nipple rings and no Mr. T style chains.

My Garmin vivofit tells me the time, so I guess that I wear a watch.

I didn't for a long time while retired.... and quite often did wear a watch when I was working... most of which now sit in my nightside stand drawer.

I never had the opportunity to develop the habit. Every watch I got, I'd end up breaking in short order. Swing my arm and hit a brick wall or something. Never failed.

Never missed it, even at w*rk. I admit I'd sneak a peek at someone else's watch if I was in a meeting that was running long, and I couldn't see the meeting room clock from where I was sitting. That's about it. Plus I've had jobs where you couldn't wear one in some places. Never really liked wearing jewelry anyway.

I have always worn a watch and feel lost without it. I prefer digital watches that tell the date and day of the week in numbers large enough to read. Ironically, in today's technological world it is very difficult to find a nice digital watch. Years ago I would buy digital watches from jewelry stores that were attractive and had nice metal bands. Now it seems the jewelry stores only carry analog watches. Weird. So I've been wearing a cheap $10 Timex digital watch as it's the only one I could find with a metal band. I don't like the display on it though. The "indiglo" background makes it hard to read the numbers and the day of week icons are so tiny I can't even see them.

Most of the new watches I see are huge plastic things with cheap plastic bands. They look like a hockey puck on your arm. I don't need a "smart" watch, I just want to know the time, date, and day of week. And I want it to look nice, not like a plastic toy on my arm. Oh, and it has to be waterproof because I never take my watch off, even when I go swimming. :)

I don't need a "smart" watch, I just want to know the time, date, and day of week.

What, the air temperature and wind velocity on Saturn are meaningless to you?

I wore a watch through high school and college and a few years after I graduated from college, until around 1987, when the watch died. In those first few years after college, when I was working full-time and riding the trains daily, I found the watch added stress to my daily life whenever the subway was getting delayed, especially on my return trip home when I had to catch the LIRR train.

So I didn't bother replacing it and I found my stress level dropped quite a bit. I couldn't really do anything about a delayed subway I was on, and I could always get the actual time once in Penn Station.

I had a clock in my car starting in 1992 when I bought a new car. I had clocks in my office and at home. So, not having a watch wasn't a big deal. But in 2008 my ladyfriend bought me a watch. I was still working, part-time, and less than a year from retiring. I don't wear it when I am home or when at my ladyfriend's place. I put it into my pocket when I am square dancing because there is a lot of hand and wrist contact and I wouldn't want it damaged. My wrists also get sweaty sometimes, so wearing it is uncomfortable.

This means I don't wear it very often, only when I go out somewhere other than dancing or to my ladyfriend's place. Since I got a cell phone a few years ago, I rely on that more often to tell time because it is more reliable.

I wear an Apple Watch, but have two Rolexes that I rarely wear. One of those is a Submariner that my wife bought me when our oldest was born. That one was a daily wearer (and still is for vacations and dive trips) but has now been replaced by the Apple Watch. The other Rolex I inherited after my father died.

Now for the reason I shifted to wearing the Apple Watch. First, I wanted to get in shape and it serves as a Fitbit. Second, and the reason I keep wearing it, I don't use my iPhone's ringer, so now when I get a call my watch slightly vibrates, causing me to check my phone. I am in elected office, and some of our meetings go 5-6 hours, are live streamed for the public, and heavily photographed/video'd for the newspaper/10 o'clock news. It looks much better for me to look at my watch to see who is calling or to read the text/email that just came through, than to pick up my phone during the public meeting.

Last edited:
When I go to work (PT). Otherwise, no. I've got clocks all over my house, though.

I have always worn a watch. All kinds over the years. Notably I had a beautiful Cartier whic I got as a gift. Wore it for 5 years. The last time I had it serviced, it cost $150 so when it needed servicing again, I retired it. Now have a black-banded Timex which lights up at night on demand. Great when travelling to strange places.

Although I carry an iPhone, I never pull it out just to see what time it is. It is seldom in my hand.

Took mine off the day I retired in 2005 and haven't had one on since.

Same here. Going on two years without a job or a watch. Life is good. Don’t really give a hoot what time it is, or even what day it is. But, as they say, it’s five o’clock somewhere!!

I wear a Citizens Eco Drive wristwatch daily. My other watches have been retired to a drawer. I keep my cell phone in my purse when I am out and prefer to just glance at my wrist to see what time it is. I feel lost without my watch.

I wear a watch if I leave the house which is generally to run errands. Most stores do not have clocks and I have this compulsion to know the time, especially since I am a night person and am usually trying to finish shopping before the stores close. If I don't know the time, it makes me feel a little anxious. Although I now have a cell phone, I keep it in my purse and take it out only to google directions or other info. I'm not a chatty person and do not text or constantly check my cell phone. When I worked, my watch combined with a pair of earrings was my "jewelry" to have a more polished look since I do not care for bracelets or rings.

Last edited:
Used to wear a Timex with plastic band. Actually, the whole thing was plastic except for the chip inside and display glass. Then I graduated to a real timepiece with gold plated band and then my wrist got blisters. Switched to leather band type and wore it until cell phones came on the scene.

Now I have a drawer with old watches in it and just use the cell phone. No Apple watch, just an Android guy with Apple stock!

I was a watch wearer from mid-elementary school until I retired. My parents gave me all of my watches - the wind-up Timex with a gray leather band, followed by two battery Seikos, then a nice skinny dress watch, and finally a beautiful Citizens Eco Drive with a mother-of-pearl face and diamonds around the crown. I had asked for a new watch that year (2002?) for Christmas and sent them a few pictures of ones I was thinking of - much simpler. When I opened it on Christmas Day, I was really stunned. When I called my parents to thank them, my Dad said "The ones you picked out were too plain. You need an executive watch."

I don't wear it daily anymore, but I do try to wear it at least once a week to keep the battery charged. It's beautiful and a great memory of my late parents.

Tossed 'em all inna trash years ago.

I always have- can't break the habit!
Same here.

I used to have several watches, but nothing too fancy. A couple of years ago when my sons finished college, I let them all pick one so they'd have a nice watch to start out in the business world.

Not long after that I got an Apple Watch, which I wear every day. Now the watches I still have are sitting in my desk gathering dust.

Used to wear one all the time since my parents gifted me one growing up. Years later MegaCorp decided we all needed cell phones.

And a few months later the battery in my watch was never replaced since I always had the phone close by.

I still have it somewhere. It's a nice but not expencive piece.

If someone told me a good reason to wear a watch again I would. But it must be something in addition to knowing the time.

Pebble 2+ HR most of the time. A 28 year old gold Maurice-Lacroix for formal occasions. All the other watches are in a box .

I wear a Tag too; Formula 1.
I was either destroying my cheaper watches or they were dying. My Tag seems to have been able to take more of a beating.

I just find the watch handy sometimes when either the phone isn't nearby or it's just more convenient to look at my watch. The most typical example is when I'm roughly timing something like when I'm cooking.
I also sometimes can't rely on my phone, particularly when travelling because I burn down the battery.

Never liked the feeling of wearing a watch. I used to carry a cheap watch without a band in my pocket, which eventually got replaced by the cell phone.

i wear no watches any more ,

and haven't for 20 years

after physically ripping off two watches in ( near miss events .. both with stainless steel bands ) i took the hint it was better to be late than missing a hand

i still have the two distressed Seiko chronographs ... ( great watches if on a less adventurous arm )

Back
Top Bottom