OK, it happened..phone technology has left me behind.

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
My EV (2023 Chevy Bolt) is causing me some personal pain......like I need NFC tech on my phone to use some charging stations or deal with special cards and/or my credit card. Places that have EVGo, Chargepoint, Electrify America, etc. (Tesla soon).

Also, my EV has wireless charging for a cell phone, of which I cannot use with my current phone.:(

And, finally, the darn phone does not support 5G and is slow as cold molasses running down your kitchen cabinet when trying to download a big file.

I thought this 2020 version phone (Moto G Power) would outlive me, but I fooled it! :LOL:

But I love the battery life (3 days). Of course it's long because the phone doesn't do very much.:rolleyes:

So I need to find a phone with 5G, wireless charging, and NFC. I don't care about the camera greatness as no one wants to see any of my photos anyway. But I do take some.

Speed is what I want and a BIG screen (say 6.1 " and bigger)

I need it to be unlocked and work on the Cricket network (AT&T).

I'm cheap....used is fine as SWAPPA sells good stuff. We got DW's used Iphone 6 Plus there years ago and it was MINT. I still have that phone and it works fine, but no one is using it.

My budget is $500.00. (I can be convinced to broaden that)

Key points:

NFC
Wireless charging
5G
Speed
Big screen

Note: the car has both Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

Please help me figure out what to buy!

:cool:

Last edited:
I've got a pixel 7 pro which does all of that stuff.
But it's a flagship model, not a stripped down one.
Plus I use Google Fi as my cell carrier.

You may have to choose between an el cheapo phone/carrier and a full function one.
Good luck...

For that I would get a used iPhone 13 Pro Max. Might be as much as $600, but Apple devices tend to last forever (or at least until obsolete). NFC & Apple Pay/Wallet are really nice -- you can have a wallet full of credit cards and membership cards on your phone and easy to scroll through and choose.

FWIW, I believe LTE (4G) will be more than enough and the slowness you are seeing is NOT connectivity speed, but probably processor speed of your device.

At some point, you're asking for virtually everything of the major features except camera, and wanting it all for half of flagship phones that have everything. 5G is the one I'd give up.

For that I would get a used iPhone 13 Pro Max. Might be as much as $600, but Apple devices tend to last forever (or at least until obsolete). NFC & Apple Pay/Wallet are really nice -- you can have a wallet full of credit cards and membership cards on your phone and easy to scroll through and choose.

FWIW, I believe LTE (4G) will be more than enough and the slowness you are seeing is NOT connectivity speed, but probably processor speed of your device.

At some point, you're asking for virtually everything of the major features except camera, and wanting it all for half of flagship phones that have everything. 5G is the one I'd give up.

Interesting about 4G LTE being sufficient and not necessarily needing 5G. The Moto G phone has always been"pokey", especially indoors when trying to connect to the internet (not wirelessly).

I've got a pixel 7 pro which does all of that stuff.
But it's a flagship model, not a stripped down one.
Plus I use Google Fi as my cell carrier.
Similar recommendation, but it hits all your wickets: Pixel 7A (the "stripped down" version that TheWizard mentioned .... which is still VERY good. This is what I'm currently using, and I've loved it.

- $500 retail ... I'm with Google Fi as well, and got it for free. Other carriers may subsidize the phone upgrade in various ways.
- 5G & NFC connectivity & wireless charging
- Battery lasts me about 1.5 days with low-moderate use. 1 day with heavy use.
- 6.1 inch screen ... the largest phone I've ever owned.
- Zero complaints about speed, uses Google's newest Tensor G2 processor
- Bonus: One of the best-quality cell phone cameras on the market.

I also have an iPhone 13 from my job. I've never been an iPhone person, so the ultra-restrictive OS & interface is extremely aggravating to me... But it's also a very good & capable phone, and has similar capabilities as my 7A. However, I will admit that the iPhone 13 has an impressive battery. I don't use it much, so with very low usage, I only charge it once every 3-4 days. When I use it more heavily (comparable to moderate use on my 7A), it lasts for 2 days easily. I can't speak to the cost, as it was provided to me by my office.

Last edited:
Similar recommendation, but it hits all your wickets: Pixel 7A (the "stripped down" version that TheWizard mentioned .... which is still VERY good. This is what I'm currently using, and I've loved it.

- $500 retail ... I'm with Google Fi as well, and got it for free. Other carriers may subsidize the phone upgrade in various ways.
- 5G & NFC connectivity & wireless charging
- Battery lasts me about 1.5 days with low-moderate use. 1 day with heavy use.
- 6.1 inch screen ... the largest phone I've ever owned.
- Zero complaints about speed, uses Google's newest Tensor G2 processor
- Bonus: One of the best-quality cell phone cameras on the market.

I also have an iPhone 13 from my job. I've never been an iPhone person, so the ultra-restrictive OS & interface is extremely aggravating to me... But it's also a very good & capable phone, and has similar capabilities as my 7A. However, I will admit that the iPhone 13 has an impressive battery. I don't use it much, so with very low usage, I only charge it once every 3-4 days. When I use it more heavily (comparable to moderate use on my 7A), it lasts for 2 days easily. I can't speak to the cost, as it was provided to me by my office.

The reason I mention I am on Cricket, as I have four phones on the plan for $100 per month, all in. This is a grandfathered plan and I have my daughter and her husband on it along with me and my (deceased) DW's phone. But I am sure I can get away from all this with no problem if I had to.

BTW, I am a light phone user (no social media stuff)....just the phone, texts, emails and a few apps.

I have a Google Pixel 6a. I know it is 5G. While it doesn't have wireless charging I have added wireless charging since I prefer wireless charging. In my case it is a card that plugs into the USB-C plug and sits between the phone and the case. I don't know about NFC so you'd have to check on that. $350 new from Google.

Best phone I have ever had. Only lasts about a day for me but I charge it every night anyway so it works for me.

The reason I mention I am on Cricket, as I have four phones on the plan for $100 per month, all in. This is a grandfathered plan and I have my daughter and her husband on it along with me and my (deceased) DW's phone. But I am sure I can get away from all this with no problem if I had to.

BTW, I am a light phone user (no social media stuff)....just the phone, texts, emails and a few apps.
Sorry, I meant to add but didn't -- all Pixel phones are unlocked by default, and work on both CDMA and GSM networks. I've used Pixels on Verizon, Sprint/T-Mobile, and now in Japan on the AU & Docomo networks. So using it with Cricket would be no problem at all. Again, I'm not sure about the iPhone 13 I mentioned, but I expect that iPhones will work on just about any network as well.

Sorry, I meant to add but didn't -- all Pixel phones are unlocked by default, and work on both CDMA and GSM networks. I've used Pixels on Verizon, Sprint/T-Mobile, and now in Japan on the AU & Docomo networks. So using it with Cricket would be no problem at all. Again, I'm not sure about the iPhone 13 I mentioned, but I expect that iPhones will work on just about any network as well.

Thanks, an unlocked phone is what I would hope to find in case I have to change service.

I have a Google Pixel 6a. I know it is 5G. While it doesn't have wireless charging I have added wireless charging since I prefer wireless charging. In my case it is a card that plugs into the USB-C plug and sits between the phone and the case. I don't know about NFC so you'd have to check on that. $350 new from Google.

Best phone I have ever had. Only lasts about a day for me but I charge it every night anyway so it works for me.

Sounds like the Pixel phones are very good. Wireless charging is built into my Bolt so I don't have to add anything, just lay the phone over the location pad.

I thought this 2020 version phone (Moto G Power) would outlive me, but I fooled it! :LOL:

But I love the battery life (3 days). Of course it's long because the phone doesn't do very much.:rolleyes:
:cool:
Bummer. I have the same exact phone, but I don't have an EV, so it's getting me by just fine.

Two or three years ago Google Fi came out with a new phone plan roughly as follows:

Get a new phone at no cost, pay $10/month plus optional insurance $5/month, for two years. Keep that phone, resell it if you like, receive a new one from Google on the same terms. Right now I have a Pixel 6a that meets your specs except no wireless charging. I am about 8 months into this phone, so it will be replaced in 2025 assuming the offer is still available. https://fi.google.com/about/tos?pli=1&filter=Google#phone-subscription But you'll have to check on current pricing.

Google Fi is not the cheapest phone plan but it is pretty good. We especially like it for international coverage and the a la carte data.We pay $35/month for two lines, unlimited calling and text. We don't use much data, so our bill (including the $10/month phone and various taxes) runs $50-$65. https://fi.google.com/about/plans?pli=1

Two or three years ago Google Fi came out with a new phone plan roughly as follows:

Get a new phone at no cost, pay $10/month plus optional insurance $5/month, for two years. Keep that phone, resell it if you like, receive a new one from Google on the same terms. Right now I have a Pixel 6a that meets your specs except no wireless charging. I am about 8 months into this phone, so it will be replaced in 2025 assuming the offer is still available. https://fi.google.com/about/tos?pli=1&filter=Google#phone-subscription But you'll have to check on current pricing.

Google Fi is not the cheapest phone plan but it is pretty good. We especially like it for international coverage and the a la carte data.We pay $35/month for two lines, unlimited calling and text. We don't use much data, so our bill (including the $10/month phone and various taxes) runs $50-$65. https://fi.google.com/about/plans?pli=1

Thanks, Google fi looks promising. Even with three phones, my cost would not be that much more than I am paying for the old Cricket plan.

I have no need for international travel anymore as those days are over. Did plenty and done with it.

I just checked and the iPhone supports 5G from 12 on, per Google. I still think LTE/4G should be more than enough unless you need low latency for first player shoot 'em up type games, or advanced AR/VR stuff.

I'm not an RF engineer, but I wouldn't be surprised if your old phone's wireless chipset doesn't support the most common and supported current RF bands and protocols and that might result in poor internet speeds. Plus, it still has a (relatively) slow processor.

Interesting about 4G LTE being sufficient and not necessarily needing 5G. The Moto G phone has always been"pokey", especially indoors when trying to connect to the internet (not wirelessly).

The newest phones are already incorporating AI, which you will eventually want/need. So you may want to check out the benefits, before you waste $$ on an older phone.

But Pixel 7A doesn't have a telephoto lens.

My Pixel 7 pro has both a 30x telephoto lens and the great macro lens feature.
I wish I could post a macro pic I took...

Attachments

• PXL_20231004_223008804.jpg
    PXL_20231004_223008804.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Does your Chevy Bolt have Android Auto?

I would also recommend the Pixel 7a. It's got everything on your checklist and comes in at $499. It's a great phone.

Wireless charging is overrated IMO (it's slow) and if you're going to use Android Auto you will need a wired connection anyway. The wired connection will charge your phone much faster.

Still, wireless charging is convenient and the Pixel 7a has it. Also, I don't use Android Auto for short trips, instead I use the Bluetooth connection to my vehicle for hands-free phone operations. Meaning I don't need a wired connection to my phone.

Does your Chevy Bolt have Android Auto?

I would also recommend the Pixel 7a. It's got everything on your checklist and comes in at $499. It's a great phone.

Wireless charging is overrated IMO (it's slow) and if you're going to use Android Auto you will need a wired connection anyway. The wired connection will charge your phone much faster.

Still, wireless charging is convenient and the Pixel 7a has it. Also, I don't use Android Auto for short trips, instead I use the Bluetooth connection to my vehicle for hands-free phone operations. Meaning I don't need a wired connection to my phone.

Yes, it has Android Auto.

I'm glad you brought up this issue, as I was thinking of renting a car, and EV's are the cheapest option. Plus they sounded like a good way to try one as I've never driven one.

However, now I know I could have charging problems, so that kills the idea as I don't want to be unable to charge one due to my phone. Will stick with gas cars this time.

I admit I did not read all the replies but I have a Google Pixel 6 that does everything you need. Unlocked versions go for about $350 at the google store. It doesn't seem like what you are looking for should be hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom