Why I live here...

I'm going to be in the market for a home in a couple of months - in the Tampa, FL area. Although we have nothing like this scene in Tampa, it reminds me how important a nice peaceful view/surroundings will be when picking out a home-
The long yard and woods behind it, which can never be developed (due to springs which feed the local reservoirs and wetland protection), was one of the biggest selling points of this property. Across the street is open farmland which could be developed one day, but hasn't since 1984. It is used for clover production for dairy cow feed. Farmers do not usually sell their open acreage around here. It is passed on to their heirs. :flowers:

They're fun to watch, but it would be great if they didn't eat my plants
this site may be useful - they use fishing line
Gardening and Yardening: Blood based deer repellent works
I have 2 dogs, so deer do not generally come into my yard. I have seen hoofprints a few times inside my back fence. My garden is also fenced (4' chain link). I use a scarecrow and plastic ribbons tied to the top of the fence. I've never seen proof of them jumping inside. So far...:rolleyes:

this site may be useful - they use fishing line
Gardening and Yardening: Blood based deer repellent works
I have 2 dogs, so deer do not generally come into my yard. I have seen hoofprints a few times inside my back fence. My garden is also fenced (4' chain link). I use a scarecrow and plastic ribbons tied to the top of the fence. I've never seen proof of them jumping inside. So far...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the fishing line tip! I'll give it a try. I've tried almost everything else, and nothing seems to work. I think I even tried the blood based stuff, but that type of stuff is defeated by constant rains. Motion sensor lighting 5' away doesn't even work. Maybe I need a couple of dogs!

I just moved some sedum away from the house about 10' - hopefully I can get the fishing line up before they're chomped to the ground.

Mama humming bird. Over the past 3 years they keep coming back and use the nest.

I heard something about April showers bringing...um...what was it again? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Spring09Flowers 011.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 011.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Spring09Flowers 012.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 012.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Spring09Flowers 013.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 013.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Spring09Flowers 014.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 014.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 3
Hostas with attitude and an update on Miss Maple...
Rocket Dog, even so at age 10, is to the left in front of the building.
Still too cold to put a hanging basket on the green hanger in the foreground.

Attachments

• Spring09Flowers 017.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 017.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Spring09Flowers 018.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 018.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 5
Your lilac is superb! Lilac is my favorite flower. I love the smell and it reminds me of my grand-mother (she had an enormous lilac tree in her yard and she used to have large bouquets of lilac on her kitchen table).

The one thing I miss about the north is the flowers especially lilacs and lilly of the valley .

Your lilac is superb! Lilac is my favorite flower. I love the smell and it reminds me of my grand-mother (she had an enormous lilac tree in her yard and she used to have large bouquets of lilac on her kitchen table).
The lilacs said TY. :flowers:
There are 6 of them all in a row along a wooden fence bordering my yard. The colors are purple (in several hues), white and pink. Bottom pic in prev post is pink.
There is also a red French lilac that blooms later than the rest. I'll post a pic when it comes out.
The white lilac tree is older than the rest and is very full. This year, after they bloom, they all will be
topped at one height so they bush out. Long term plan is to have a "hedge" of them. :D

The one thing I miss about the north is the flowers especially lilacs and lilly of the valley .

I used to have some lilly of the valley in my yard when I lived in NC, but I have been unable to find any to plant in my yard here in AL... I have a nice shade garden and I think they would look great sprinkled among hostas, ferns and bleeding hearts but the nurseries around here don't think they would do well in the area... Where I grew up we used to go in the woods and gather sprigs of wild lilly of the valley on May 1st and the tradition was to give a sprig to each of your loved ones for good luck...

I used to have some lilly of the valley in my yard when I lived in NC, but I have been unable to find any to plant in my yard here in AL... I have a nice shade garden and I think they would look great sprinkled among hostas, ferns and bleeding hearts but the nurseries around here don't think they would do well in the area... Where I grew up we used to go in the woods and gather sprigs of wild lilly of the valley on May 1st and the tradition was to give a sprig to each of your loved ones for good luck...
According to this write-up, Lily of the Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it is highly poisonous. :(
If ferns and hostas will grow, LOTV should too, unless there is a soil pH extreme locally.
They will clone rapidly and will take over any area they are in. I had to remove a crop from next to my front curved steps because they were overcrowding each other and then all the leaves dried out in early summer. Looked like h*ll and was becoming a maintenance problem. They continue to grow wild in the woods behind my house where I threw the roots. :D

In freakin' May?!? Yikes.
I do not dare plant my tomatoes and peppers until the first week of June. When the jetstream is just so, we get infusions of cold air from Canada. :flowers: We've had frost and freeze warnings last week and for tonight.
I am just south of a high altitude plateau that sees an average of 200 inches of snow per year. My area gets 100 inches average. We actually got 140 something inches this year. :cool:
See why I have to be so tough now? :LOL:

Nords--did you do the concrete work yourself? It looks great!
Holy cannoli, thanks but no way. This is an order of magnitude outside my circle of competence.

The concrete contractors, an average of three guys a day for three weeks (as many as six some days) crawled over every square inch of it on kneepads at least once.

This project was eight years in the planning and only affordable/available because of the recession. Last fall we had a welder replace three rusted-out wrought-iron gates around our lanai & sidewalks. Last February we had a lanai jackhammered out and re-poured to get the slope done right. (After the old lanai was torn out, I fixed two undiscovered sprinkler leaks that had contributed to sidewalk cracking.) We also had concrete poured over the first dozen crumbling lava-rock steps down our back slope to achieve a better rise/run and to level the treads. That's a lot safer now, to say nothing of better on my aching knees.

Then in late March we had the FuturaStone scraped off two more lanai, two sidewalks, and a driveway. This required a device the size of a forklift with scraper blades, accompanied by hammer drills and lots of sweat/dirt/noise over three days. (Kids, stay in school.) Next we had one of the sidewalks properly sloped away from the house (by adding over an inch of concrete at the foundation) and we had the driveway cut into four smaller slabs to stop its cracking. I took the opportunity to trench 75 feet through the palm roots around the newly-leveled sidewalk to backfill it with gravel.

After everything had been scrubbed clean, etched, and all the cracks & joints filled, the contractors poured a quarter-inch of dyed concrete on top and stamped it with rubber molds. More stain on top for contrast, a couple coats of acrylic sealer, new stress-release joints cut on top of the old, and filled with caulk.

We kept the FuturaStone on our garage floor because it's in better shape (no direct sunlight) but it was still filthy. A neighbor, the island's best carpet cleaner, went over it with his truck-mounted machine from hell that uses boiling hot water, rotary brushes, and vacuum extraction. The sand/dirt clogged his filter seven times and produced over 200 gallons of chocolate milk. Hopefully we don't have to do that again for another 20 years.

The day after the concrete was finished we sprung a water leak at the tee from the street pipe to the house/sprinkler connections. So I had to chisel out a square foot of that brand-new concrete to [-]bail out[/-] excavate the connections and fix them. Instead of pouring more concrete we just put a grate over the hole in case it starts leaking again.

Recessions are great for home-improvement projects. I'm happy to have all those nagging engineering problems resolved. Spouse is thrilled with the looks and cooler surfaces, so she's moving on to the next phase of replacing the (small) side yard with El Toro zoysia. I highly recommend stamped concrete for recovering from other ugly artificial surfaces, but check back with me in a year to see how it's wearing.

So thank you, it's gorgeous and way better than what we used to have, but I sure don't want to have to do that again in my lifetime...

Attachments

• P5010004.JPG
    P5010004.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Pansies laugh at the freeze warnings...

Attachments

• Spring09Flowers 021.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 021.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Spring09Flowers 022.jpg
    Spring09Flowers 022.jpg