Why I live here...

Last one - yes, Virginia, engineers can do creative landscaping.
Check out the reflection and circular dispersion of the flash in the glass.

Freebird,

How do you keep pests (deer, rabbits, groundhogs) from eating your beautiful tulips? I planted hundreds of tulips and Asiatic lilies one year, and all were destroyed by animal pests. The animals have no concept of "sharing" - they want it all!

Amethyst

Freebird,

How do you keep pests (deer, rabbits, groundhogs) from eating your beautiful tulips? I planted hundreds of tulips and Asiatic lilies one year, and all were destroyed by animal pests. The animals have no concept of "sharing" - they want it all!

Amethyst
My 2 furry children patrol the back fenced in yard. One of them is a neutered boy dog, so he constantly marks the territory.
The tulips are out in front and in a raised bed made if interlocking cement blocks. The bunnies have to hop up almost 3 feet and come close to the house to even try it. :bat: I do periodically set out a humane trap and relocate any prisoners (chipmunks) to their new lakefront abode.

Cows poop in the water they drink. I don't think a few dead dove will negatively impact the ambiance.
The things I learn on this board.

I guess you could add that to the list of reasons not to move to Texas-- I know I'll never look at Riverwalk in quite the same way ever again!

Just dont look at a glass of tap water in New Orleans (or any far south city on the Mississippi) - nine people drank that water before you do

Just dont look at a glass of tap water in New Orleans (or any far south city on the Mississippi) - nine people drank that water before you do
You just reminded me of an old joke I heard from a college roommate...
"Flush it in Sydney, drink it in Binghamton", referring to upriver :D and downriver :blink: cities on the Susquehanna River.

And yet the water here is STILL a million times better than the water in Texas was, when I lived there! The water there would kill potted plants, much less people.

Then there were the spiders and fire ants, and the unbearable, relentless summer heat...

(Just send it to my Swiss bank account, REWahoo... ) :D

Last edited:
My 2 furry children patrol the back fenced in yard. One of them is a neutered boy dog, so he constantly marks the territory.
The tulips are out in front and in a raised bed made if interlocking cement blocks. The bunnies have to hop up almost 3 feet and come close to the house to even try it. :bat: I do periodically set out a humane trap and relocate any prisoners (chipmunks) to their new lakefront abode.

I figured a fence had to be involved!

As for a raised bed, the deer would consider that a thoughtful concession to their long necks. Sort of a deer salad bar. They eat plants growing AGAINST the house.

Really, BBQ is the kindest thought I've had in a long time about deer!!

And yet the water here is STILL a million times better than the water in Texas was, when I lived there!

And a million times better than my well water - I had a foot long gelatinous substance dangling from my purifying filter that the water treatment guy couldn't identify.

As for a raised bed, the deer would consider that a thoughtful concession to their long necks. Sort of a deer salad bar. They eat plants growing AGAINST the house.

It's only a 4 foot chainlink fence. No problem for the deer to scale. But they don't, amazingly. It's got to be the dogs. I do see them run all the way back to the end of the yard and bark their heads off. :LOL:
I posted a link about using fishing line a while back. It seems they can't see it and it spooks them when their legs touch it.
Repellents Stop Deer from Eating Landscape Plants
I have no idea if it w*rks or not.

And a million times better than my well water - I had a foot long gelatinous substance dangling from my purifying filter that the water treatment guy couldn't identify.

EWWW!!! Maybe it's time for bottled water, y'think? :eek:

It's The Thing! :yuk: :eek: :blink: :p :dead:

I wonder if you borrowed a deer HEAD from a local hunter and mounted that on a pole next to the garden, if that would be a deterrent or a draw?

I have heard spreading human hair around the outside of the garden will keep the deer away, maybe get some from a local beautician?

It's threads like this one that make me love this forum.

By the way, we had over 4" of rain, flash floods and tornado
alerts last week in Dallas. Other than that, this spring has been
wonderful, but the summer is coming fast.

Cheers,

charlie

Back
Top Bottom