Will that be Cash or Credit?

I use my AmEx card at every place that accepts it, and of course we pay it off each month.

I hate using cash, because with the credit card Quicken will download all transactions for me, and even classifies them into categories like groceries, gas, etc..., though I still have to go in occasionally and reclassify some expenses. For example, gas for the motorhome would be in the travel expense and not lumped in with normal car driving, but it really minimizes my manual record keeping.

And then, we get good money back from AmEx every year. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Re negative interest rates: Until they put expiration dates on $100 bills (or 500 euro notes), you can always take the cash and put in an safe deposit box all be it that might cost $50/year. Anyway you can fit quite a few $100 bills in a safe deposit box.

That works until the Fed says, "We decided notes with serial numbers ending in digit (pick one) became worthless today."

That works until the Fed says, "We decided notes with serial numbers ending in digit (pick one) became worthless today."

:hide: That the crazy talking? Remember who just won the elections.

But I suppose that is why you need gold, GOLD, GOLD!!! Or better yet, ammo.

*sigh*

To this day, Dad knows exactly how much in hundred dollar bills will fit into a coffee can and a shoe box. I don't think it will be much fun to be his executor when that fateful day arrives. Lucky me. At least I will not have to argue with my siblings over his vintage revolver.

I use my AmEx card at every place that accepts it, ... For example, gas for the motorhome

If you used a Flying J/Pilot card (RV Plus) and had it on autopay, you would get, at least, 5¢ off the pump price.

+1 Unless there is a financing rebate to take advantage of, I pay for vehicles by check. If we reach an impasse in the price of a used car, I usually write out a check to the dealer for my final offer (including tax, transfer,etc.) and don't sign it - I hand it to them and tell them I will sign it if we have a deal for the car for that amount. I'm 2 of 3 so far using that approach.

When I was buying one car I told them I wanted to pay for it by check (no financing) and they seemed to not know what to do to process a non-financed transaction. :facepalm:

I have two relatively new cars, but I will use that unsigned-check-strategy the next time! I too have had difficulty explaining to some dealers that no financing was involved. I remember test-driving a Lexus, not having shaved in 4 days and wearing jeans and a T-shirt, and they kept asking if I was financing or leasing. I ultimately bought the car, but they seemingly could not get over the fact there was to be no financing.

Finally, I've noticed a not-surprising pattern in the other replies about usng credit cards....but paying in full each month.

I just realized I've had the same $5 bill in my wallet for over 2 months. I never pay cash for anything. I went through the McDonald's drive through today, bought a diet coke for $1 (plus 6 cents tax). Paid with my Discover Card. Racked up a sweet 1 cash back point.

I'd been dealing with my Mom's bills when she was in the hospital. I arranged to have her mail forwarded to me so I could pay them, but the forwarding process started out slow and I was late on a few payments. I managed to get them to drop the interest and late fees, but even seeing them on the bill was infuriating. It's been so long since I didn't pay off every bill in full every month I had lost touch with how badly these companies are sticking it to the [-]fools[/-] [-]suckers[/-] ignorant customers. It's outrageous.

I charge every expense each month to the credit card, and then pay it off at the end of each month and reap the cash back rewards at the end of the year. I haven't paid any interest on the credit card in 20 years.

I do carry a mortgage, which is our only debt. But, the mortgage is about 25% of monthly income, so well within our means. We have paid cash for all our vehicles.

If you used a Flying J/Pilot card (RV Plus) and had it on autopay, you would get, at least, 5¢ off the pump price.

Is it valid only at Flying J/Pilot truck stops? I fill up there quite a bit, but they are mainly on interstates, not on backroads. And then, my AmEx already gives 3% cash back.

That was what I was thinking. At $3/gal 3% is 9 cents off instead of 5 cents😁

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Is it valid only at Flying J/Pilot truck stops? I fill up there quite a bit, but they are mainly on interstates, not on backroads. And then, my AmEx already gives 3% cash back.

Yes, it is valid only at Flying J/Pilot stations.

Which AMEX card do you have? Our AMEX card only gives 2% on U.S. gas.

(And, yes, I see now that above $2.50 a gallon I am better off using the AMEX card.)

I pay cash or credit card that I pay off every month. But I did slip up by getting a new credit card for my generator for one year same as cash and $100 off. But I was nervous filling out the credit app using "retired" for occupation.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

So did you end up using "retired" as your occupation when applying for cards?

I thought I'd be done churning cards for promo points but there are so many easy ones to get, esp. when you have to make some purchases which would easily use up the purchasing requirements.

I thought I'd be done churning cards for promo points but there are so many easy ones to get, esp. when you have to make some purchases which would easily use up the purchasing requirements.

I just applied for and received the Amazon card by Chase. I listed my occupation as "annuity recipient" (SS & RMD payouts). :LOL:

I heard that "retired" as an occupation will hurt someone's chances at getting credit and may result in current lenders reducing card spending limits regardless of paying your bill each month in full.

I have not applied for new credit since I retired but would be interested to hear the experience of others.

I just applied for and received the Amazon card by Chase. I listed my occupation as "annuity recipient" (SS & RMD payouts). :LOL:

I just applied for an Amazon card today. Their fluff said I would be approved in 60 seconds. When I got the results, it said they would get back to me within 30 days. :( I have had a Chase (United) card for at least 20 years. I would think that would be good enough. Maybe there is something to saying I am retired.

I had just gotten off the phone with Capital One. They were replacing my card due to the Home Depot problems and messed that up so I won't get a replacement card for a while. I thought if I had to notify all the places that do automatic charges on the Capital One card, I might as well be using a card with a higher reward.

I had the same thing happen...supposed 60 second approval for a Bank of America card with zero foreign transaction fee. That minute turned into "never". So I got a Barclay Card instead. Later, I called BofA to warn them I might use my regular credit card while traveling, and they tried to sell me on the card that they wouldn't give me before. :facepalm: They even said there's no reason they could see why I wasn't approved in 60 seconds.

I heard that "retired" as an occupation will hurt someone's chances at getting credit and may result in current lenders reducing card spending limits regardless of paying your bill each month in full.

I have not applied for new credit since I retired but would be interested to hear the experience of others.

Never caused me any problems.

I applied for a Nordstrom card in the store early January and listed retired. They gave me $10K credit limit.

I think you heard wrong. That can't be a general rule.
I applied for a new card a couple of months ago, using "retired" as my occupation. The online application was approved within less than 60 seconds for a line of over $20K.

The credit card companies know there are plenty of wealthy retired seniors out there.

I applied for a new card a couple of months ago, using "retired" as my occupation. The online application was approved within less than 60 seconds for a line of over $20K.

Did you document "income" or your assets?

Or both?

Did you document "income" or your assets?

Or both?

Just income. The amount I remove from my assets each year to spend is "income" in my book, and it has never been questioned. I would guess your credit rating has something to do with it too, and that's easy for them to check.

I only have one credit card, the Amazon Visa card by Chase which I applied for and got last May. I listed "retired" as my occupation and the card was mine in less than a minute. I don't remember what else they asked; maybe last year's AGI or something.

Love this card, BTW! It's the only CC I have had in almost two decades because I didn't want to be in debt to anybody. However, the age of the internet has arrived and magically, I was able to arrange for it to automatically pay itself off in full every month.

When I shop at Amazon, which I often do, I can use the rewards cash right there. Free money, and no fees? What a business model. :LOL:

Last edited:

I just upped my credit limit on our Fidelity AMEX. Told the girl I was retired, she seemed taken aback but put it through. It was the weekend so no automatic response. Week later they upped my limit just as I asked.

...I was able to arrange for it to automatically pay itself off in full every month.

This is true of all cards that I am aware of. Well, let me take that back. We have a Visa (Credit) Card issued by our bank (Bank of the West) which the bank does not have an "automatic" payment system for. We have never used the card after charging enough to cash in on the $200 sign-up bonus and have told them why. (Interestingly, they have no problem with Auto Pay on our HELOC.)

When I shop at Amazon, which I often do, I can use the rewards cash right there.

Most cards (at least, our Citi, Capital One, and AMEX cards) can be set up to automatically credit the account at certain points. Our Capital One card (the one we use the most), for instance, issues credit when the "Reward" reaches $50 (my choice)... about every six weeks.

Back
Top Bottom