Will the Beer Summit go well?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, we had some fun with suggesting beers for the Obama/Corwley/Gates meetings at this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=839387&postcount=1

On a little more serious note, I'm wondering if some good will come out of the meeting. I don't care to re-hash everything in the news, who said what, when etc, but in general, I think some good could come out of this. I think the WH is doing the right thing be downplaying any outcome, and just saying they are sitting down to talk. How about:

A) Agree to disagree - they each have made their public statements, it is unlikely that either is going to have a sudden change of heart. Apologies are just not a realistic outcome for this meeting, IMO.

B) They may decide to agree that there are racial issues that need to be addressed in America.

C) They both teach on the issues (admittedly, a Harvard professor and a police training class are not in the same league, but we *are* looking for common ground here).

D) So, maybe they could actually collaborate on some of these issues.

E) I would hope that they could agree that this particular incident isn't the best one to use for a symbol of racial problems. Too much of it is one person's word against the other, so anyone with a bias in the matter may pre-judge one way or the other. If you want an example, find one of clear documented racism from a bad cop, and one of a minority making bad choices and clearly interfering with an investigation leading to problems. I think everyone could learn from that.

They have all had time to think about this and think through some positive outcomes, and they all appear to be intelligent people, hopefully they can get together on something.

Is there hope?

-ERD50

I personally (who have a "issue" with authority figures that
is well-documented in this forum) think this is a less a race
issue than it is a policing issue.

Back
Top Bottom