Will This Jack Work?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Nissan Leaf doesn't come with a spare tire, not even one of those toy spare tires. It comes with gunk to put in the flat tire and a compressor. The gunk ruins the tire.

So, I'm buying what I need to have a spare, and I bought a jack that looks like this:

qoH4itC.jpg

However, the gap is not very deep, so when it touches the ridge at the jack points, there is a gap like this:

9pv6FJs.png

For orientation:

index.233.gif

IOW, the weight of the car would be supported by the ridge rather than the areas around the ridge. Is that how it should be, or do I need a jack with a deeper notch?

Hope that's clear!

Thanks.

I'm not an engineer or a professional mechanic, just someone who has worked on cars a lot in past (and who has a floor jack in my garage to play it safe!). That being said, I wouldn't want to risk my fingers/arm/body on the car balancing on that fine of a point. Particularly since it sounds like you'd be using it on roadside repair situation, which is the riskiest time--and you'd likely not have jackstands in the trunk!

If the car slides off of that ridge, it may keep going past the gap. Good jacks are relatively cheap.

Check at a junk yard (car parts recycler). They should have the correct jack.

You could grind down that flange until the jack sits solidly on the car body.

Going a different way - how about gluing some strips of rubber on the two jack "hills"? Thinking some cut out rectangles from an old tire sidewall? *I wouldn't grind down that body weld seam.* When lifting cars I sometimes use a pad of 4" long 2x4 cross-ways to the car body seam and lift the car with a floor jack no problem

If possible I would add material to the top contact surface in order to bridge the deficit.

Going a different way - how about gluing some strips of rubber on the two jack "hills"? Thinking some cut out rectangles from an old tire sidewall? *I wouldn't grind down that body weld seam.* When lifting cars I sometimes use a pad of 4" long 2x4 cross-ways to the car body seam and lift the car with a floor jack no problem

That's what I would recommend if you can't find a jack the meets the total jack point. Jack points in cars are reinforced to handle the force of lifting. As mentioned above, do not cut the weld seam in the lifting area.

EDIT: I forgot to mention you'll need to be sure you throw in your bicycle pump...

Or I could drink a lot of beer ... tube might not be big enough. ;)

I'll take my jack back to Harbor Freight and find one with a deeper gap. Thanks.

I'd go to the junkyard and get one from an early to mid-ninetys Toyota Corolla. Should be just what you are looking for ans shouldn't cost more than $10. Make sure to get the handle and the lug wrench too.

Check at a junk yard (car parts recycler). They should have the correct jack.
I probably would have done what T-Al did--got a jack at Harbor Freight. It was smart to check out the fit and discover this problem with the ridge. Knowing that, I'd go to a junkyard and get a scissors jack that will work. Maybe other Nissan models have the same ridge height as the Leaf does, so their jacks would work.
Don't forget a good lug wrench (cross-style preferred) and something to use as a wheelchock (or two).

What does Nissan recommend? Have you browsed any of the Leaf user forums to see what other owners may use?

We've done the same for DW's MX5 and that was helpful.

_B

I had a car with a ridge like you show way back when...

Took it in to get tires replaced and the shop did not know about it... jacked it on that edge... edge bend and it damaged the front corner panel... when you opened the door it bent it in even more...

Took me a bit of work to get them to pay for my damages... lucky for me I had not yet left and they could see the damage...

I would never jack up a car on a ridge like that... ever....

I would also make sure that whenever you take it somewhere they know about that ridge... I am assuming it is the whole length of the car...

I would check in on the Leaf forums to see what others are doing (like suggested above).

As an aside: My VW has a welded ridge (like the Leaf) and an embossed arrow on the rocker panels indicating the jack points. Behind the ridge, there is a flat pad area where a floor jack can be placed. VW also sells hard rubber pads for the jack point areas. Maybe Nissan sells similar also.

As an aside: My VW has a welded ridge (like the Leaf) and an embossed arrow on the rocker panels indicating the jack points. Behind the ridge, there is a flat pad area where a floor jack can be placed. VW also sells hard rubber pads for the jack point areas. Maybe Nissan sells similar also.

Good idea, here is a universal fit, slotted hard rubber jack pad available at Amazon. There are several other examples down page.
Edit - Consider the height profile when choosing this solution, e.g. the tire will be deflated - there are low profile options.

51D%2BgHaem%2BL._SL1200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Slotted..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1DM2V0P1D0H3FXXNY4X3

Last edited:
When I used my scissors jack, as a second jack to lift the entire side of the car, it slipped off the indentation in the frame, and punctured the brake line. This meant not only a towing charge, but a $500 bill for the line replacement. Dealership robbery.

It "looked" safe at the time, but Murphy's Law!

I know it is extra weight that reduces fuel economy, but I carry a small floor jack for emergencies. Whenever I had to use the scissor jack, I was never on a surface that could be trusted with the forces involved.

I have never had to use the floor jack for my own car emergency, but I end up helping 1-2 other stranded people every year.

Cost of slime replacement can at the dealer is !$200!

Here's Why to Avoid Puncturing a Nissan LEAF Tire | PluginCars.com

Some ideas as to where to get it cheaper.

WOW... but, this just reminded me of my spare tire on my 87 Firebird Formula.... the tire was designed to fold in on itself so it was small and fit in a cubby hole on the side... but it did have a can to inflate the spare... so, I get a flat, inflate the spare and all is good to go... it is a 'full' sized tire, so you do not have to worry about the speed... but it is skinnier than the original... but not a big deal...

So, get tire fixed and go to the dealer to buy another can to inflate... IIRC, it was in the $150 range... SAY WHAT!!!!:confused:!!!!...

Decided to just buy a tire pump for $25.... it would take longer, but I could start the inflation before I got the wheel off and it was no big deal...

Sometimes dealers are really stupid.... but I bet they get enough people who do not know any better and make a killing on them....

So, get tire fixed and go to the dealer to buy another can to inflate... IIRC, it was in the $150 range... SAY WHAT!!!!:confused:!!!!...

Decided to just buy a tire pump for $25.... it would take longer, but I could start the inflation before I got the wheel off and it was no big deal...

Sometimes dealers are really stupid.... but I bet they get enough people who do not know any better and make a killing on them....
Somebody at GM missed a great opportunity. That "special" spare should have had a "special" air valve that only fit the "special" $150 tire inflator can.:) Metric, left-hand threads on a stem a valve stem >slightly< bigger than standard.

Last edited:
T-Al, that "ridge" is called a pinch-weld, and they are seen on the underside of unibody cars. As others have said, it is NOT ok to lift on the pinch-weld itself.

The structure of the unibody was designed to bear the weight of the car on each side of the pinch-weld in specific places, not ON it. The pinch-weld itself will help keep the jack's head centered on the lifting point, rather than sliding outward as the car is lifted up (as the car's side lifts in an arc, roughly centered on the wheels on the other side that remain on the ground).

You need a jack with a deeper throat. (awright... no snide comments about that previous sentence!)

On E- Bay 2011-15 Jack

2011 2015 Nissan Leaf Jack with Tools Lug Wrench | eBay

Donut spare 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Nissan Leaf Spare Tire Wheel Donut 16" Spare | eBay

This store just has jacks and donut spares. Not at all cheap, but a lot less than at the dealer I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom