Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What amount does it take to get you to bend over to pick up money?
A penny will do... 88 69.29%
A nickel, if no one is looking. 18 14.17%
A dime, I have some standards. 7 5.51%
A quarter, it's sparkly! 7 5.51%
Has to be paper money, at least a buck! 1 0.79%
I'm loaded, let someone who needs it pick it up! 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, those prehensile thumbs on your feet probably help too, you Neanderthal! Just kidding!!!!:rofl :

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

However, picking up coins is easy for me as I have been told that I am a knuckle dragger.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Wow. I figure that poor people can look for their own coins, redeemable cans and other flotsam and jetsam that can be turned into cash. They have even more free time than I do.

Ha
I'm quite sure those in need do look, and probably do a better job than I. But since we hang out in different areas I have less competition and more opportunity. It just a little effort but may mean much more to someone else - and it doesn't replace any of our efforts at contributing to the less fortunate.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does it surprise anyone that 70% of the folks here will pick up a penny. Doesn't surprise me.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #44

Wouldn't occur to me not to pick up a penny if I saw it....those Depression era parents really influenced me I guess...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I must not have as good an eyesight as ya'all. I don't often spot money on the ground.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I will admit to skipping pick-ups at times, perhaps more often than not. There are places where I really want to be upright and looking around, not bending over looking for pennies. On a busy sidewalk I think if there is money there, there could be a reason. And it really isn't worth much for me to find out what the reason might be.

Ha
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I would think a popular happy hour bar, frequented by what we used to call Yuppies, would be an excellent hunting ground for dropped coins and cash.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #48

I do not pick up any coin.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #49

Quote:
There are places where I really want to be upright and looking around, not bending over looking for pennies.
Ha, you hang out in strange places. Been to (or in) jail recently?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ha, you hang out in strange places. Been to (or in) jail recently?
Not about getting humped, about getting mugged.

For similar reasons I do not walk around with ear buds, ar a phone plastered to my ear. I don't live in Palm Beach, or Grosse Point, or Bel Aire. Though I think I could easily get used to most of these.

Ha
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #51

Quote:
For similar reasons I do not walk around with ear buds, ar a phone plastered to my ear. I don't live in Palm Beach, or Grosse Point, or Bel Aire. Though I think I could easily get used to most of these.

Ha
Lots of muggers live in Palm Beach, Grosse Point, Bel Aire, etc. They just aren't called muggers. They are financial professionals. Only difference is when they get mugged they get bailed out.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #52

Here's a thought: I had a gal that worked for some time for me that had two kids, divorced and needed cash. She would look at the empty carts outside at the grocery store for left items, and you would not believe all the things she brought home that someone else paid for--even large boxes of Tide were left. I always wondered who could be so blind as not to see that at the bottom of the cart?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #53

I will usually pick up a penny I find on the ground. One day I was driving home and saw something blowing around along the road. As I went by I thought, dang that looks like paper money. I turned around and drove back finding a safe spot to pull over and retrieved the money, it turned out to be a $10 bill.

A few years ago I came out of Costco and as I got near my car saw a guy picked up a pizza that was laying on the ground. He asked if I wanted it and I said no and suggested he take it home and have it. He was delighted and said his wife would be real happy. I'm sure someone had it on the lower part of their cart and it slid off as they loaded their other things into the car. It probably was only on the ground a minute or so and since it was totally wrapped in plastic it should have been fine.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #54

More often that not I'll pick up the penny. But then I used to gather coke bottles for the five cent deposits.

I did once find a $20 bill between the guard rails in the median of an interstate highway during an accident investigation.

Edited to add: It had obviously been there a while with dried mud on it, not blown out of any of the cars in the wreck.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #55

I don't tend to pick up coins, but my stepmother is the master of finding money.

She's a garage sale junkie and paid $1 for a pair of dress up shoes for her grand daughter. Granddaughter got around to playing with them several months later and found five $100 bills in the toe of one shoe.

Step mom had no idea by this point where she had bought them so she guiltily pocketed the $500....quite the payback on a garage sale find!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I don't tend to pick up coins, but my stepmother is the master of finding money.

She's a garage sale junkie and paid $1 for a pair of dress up shoes for her grand daughter. Granddaughter got around to playing with them several months later and found five $100 bills in the toe of one shoe.

Step mom had no idea by this point where she had bought them so she guiltily pocketed the $500....quite the payback on a garage sale find!
I want to go shopping with her!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #57

gee i am really surprised that 69% replied yes!

i am the only person that voted only if paper money!

i'm pretty frugal and LBMM but i wouldn't pick up coins unless they were gold or at least a bucks worth. never would i pick up cans for the deposit, never!

when i was 11 i found a $10 bill and that was a big deal, actually it would be today so back then it was like finding at least 450!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #58

No stooping. Gracefully scoop up penny and put in pocket.