Win XP

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here is an interesting article on why Win XP is better left dead and buried.

Fwiw, before I was a Mac guy, I found this site very useful for keeping my Windows machines working well. It's geeky stuff, so it will be of limited interest to most people. But, it can make you a hero from time to time. 😉

Why continuing support for XP is bad math

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

Having a surplus of desktop PCs from my earlier at-home work, I still keep a couple running XP so that I can run some old software.

However, a couple of years ago MS released Virtual XP OS that ran under Win 7. I installed it on a couple of Win 7 machines, and it seemed to be OK although I did not do extensive testing with it. I would think as this ran under Win 7, it would get some protection from Win 7, but I could be wrong.

Just want to mention this in case someone wants access to both Win 7 and XP on the same machine without setting up dual boot.

Having a surplus of desktop PCs from my earlier at-home work, I still keep a couple running XP so that I can run some old software.

However, a couple of years ago MS released Virtual XP OS that ran under Win 7. I installed it on a couple of Win 7 machines, and it seemed to be OK although I did not do extensive testing with it. I would think as this ran under Win 7, it would get some protection from Win 7, but I could be wrong.

Just want to mention this in case someone wants access to both Win 7 and XP on the same machine without setting up dual boot.

Actually with that or Hypervisor or Virtual Box, you can run xp as a disposable guest, i.e. get the machine running, clone the guest disk every time you use it, using the built in network copy files you want to save back to the host. This is essentially what a lot of internet cafes do. Assuming the XP got infected or damaged, then just delete the current copy, make a new one and start over.

Interesting. It's been 5 months since XP support was dropped and so far the XP world has not ended.

Last edited:
Interesting. It's been 5 months since XP support was dropped and so far the XP world has ended.

Not completely.
Dw's employer still uses XP. I had to roll her Win7 rig back to IE8 so she could log on to her work page from home.

Back
Top Bottom