Windows 10

About a week and a half now with Windows 10 and everything is working very well. However, this laptop is quite old and I am considering a replacement. I think I will go back to a desktop system since there are some very good deals on now. Along with that I plan on purchasing an Android tablet (probably an 8.5 inch unit) for interent, email, and travel use.

Well we'll see! I may see things your way after battling with Windows 10.

Still, I am so totally thrilled to be getting it. My new computer didn't arrive yesterday after all, so I am expecting it today and running to the door every time I hear a car or truck pass by. :D

I suspect that with a new laptop you will be very happy with Win10, assuming you don't care about the privacy issues. I think that's pretty much the breakdown for satisfaction. If it works and you don't mind being assimilated, you'll be fine.

Good articles. Thanks.

I suspect that with a new laptop you will be very happy with Win10, assuming you don't care about the privacy issues. I think that's pretty much the breakdown for satisfaction. If it works and you don't mind being assimilated, you'll be fine.
Microsoft still isn't gathering any more data than Facebook, Google, Amazon or Apple, if anything they're late to the data monetizing party. And Microsoft and the other big name providers are going to be far more responsible with your info than the thousands of no name "free" (and many paid) app providers like Angry Birds, Brightest Flashlight that duped millions of users out of private data.

Have you seen any specifics on Win 10 privacy changes? I know Microsoft is getting some bad press re: Win 10 and privacy, but I've read several articles that say there's really not much change WRT privacy vs Win 8.1 (or even Win 7) unless you use Cortana - and you have to consciously turn Cortana on. I don't plan to use Cortana, since I have little need and I am already used to Siri when the need arises. From just one source I've read:
My opinion is that the “privacy issue” in Windows 10 has been overblown, partly because of a perfectly understandable ignorance about what’s going on. You will probably want to change several of the defaults, as I did. However, you should view these settings in the context of the direction almost everything is heading. Even Microsoft is now a “mobile first, cloud first” company.

First, Windows 10 has not introduced a lot of new privacy changes: most of the things being complained about were already in Windows 8 or 8.1. The only really new thing in Windows 10 is Cortana, a conversational personal assistant based partly on AI (artificial intelligence) and deep learning, and even she had already appeared on Windows Phone.

Cortana requires the same sort of trade off – some privacy risk in exchange for useful functionality – as Apple’s Siri and Google Now, and for the same reasons. For example, Cortana cannot help you with your next meeting if she doesn’t have access to your calendar, contacts, location and so on.

But Cortana is not on by default, and can’t be turned on by accident. She comes with a Notebook, so you have some control. If you change your mind, you can simply log on to Bing’s “personalization” page and clear all Cortana’s data, along with your personal info.
Windows 10: should privacy problems worry me? | Technology | The Guardian

FWIW Apple has made it a point to note that it doesn't collect your data to serve you better ads.

It does process Siri through its data centers, to use processing power and to improve voice recognition. But Siri works without you having to set your address, identify relationships, etc.

Cortana requires MS account, which is also used to track your Bing searches. And whatever other activities on your computer that it's tracking and sending back to their servers.

MS has to monetize their OS some way while Apple makes money by selling the hardware which comes with their OS.

Apple isn't doing search so it's not doing display ads nor is it collecting data which would be a treasure trove for advertisers.

Make no mistake, Google's customers are the advertisers while Apple's customers are end users.

Who are Microsofts customers? They'd love for their search and ad products to have more market share, so they can transition to software as service (with subscription revenues) business model.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You're probably right!

So far, so good. It seems to work and it is kind of slick. :) I went through the available information about tightening up Windows 10 security and privacy, and did all I could. Then I went through all the settings to see what was there, and that was fun. There are a lot of settings to evaluate and adjust.

I have installed essentially all of my software, set up the default file associations the way I prefer, and so on. So far, so good, so I guess it is time to bring in my backed up material now.

Basically, I am having a ball.

So far, so good. It seems to work and it is kind of slick. :) I went through the available information about tightening up Windows 10 security and privacy, and did all I could. Then I went through all the settings to see what was there, and that was fun. There are a lot of settings to evaluate and adjust.

I have installed essentially all of my software, set up the default file associations the way I prefer, and so on. So far, so good, so I guess it is time to bring in my backed up material now.

Basically, I am having a ball.

This version seems to have increased the volume of info going to M$ although rumors of windows "phoning home" go back to Win98. Here's a link that covers a lot of things to check in one collection. 30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft

I upgraded a couple of PCs, nothing unusual the upgrade worked. I spent a good bit of time getting rid of unwanted "features". I imagine someone will post a tool before long to clean all of this, I see some have already created a script to handle some of it. Here's link for it Want Windows 10 to stop tracking you? Now there's an app for that | ZDNet

Just experimenting I installed an old version of Office97, seems to work fine :LOL:.

I installed win 10 yesterday and it might have goofed up in install. I can't get settings to open, it just kind of flashes. Anyone know or can look up the address on the C drive where settings is ,so I can get to update and recovery, maybe I can open it there and uninstall and reinstall.

This version seems to have increased the volume of info going to M$ although rumors of windows "phoning home" go back to Win98. Here's a link that covers a lot of things to check in one collection. 30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft

I upgraded a couple of PCs, nothing unusual the upgrade worked. I spent a good bit of time getting rid of unwanted "features".

Thanks for the link. I have been carefully going through all the links on this thread, and those I find elsewhere, to make sure I have checked everything. I'm glad to get all the links I can, because there is so much to address that conceivably the authors, and I, could accidently overlook something. So, I went through the article carefully and changed one setting that I had noticed before but hadn't fully understood. It was the one about storing media licenses on my computer, which I see no reason to do. You're right, it does take a lot of time to go through everything carefully.

I really don't have anything to hide from Microsoft or anybody else, but I am old enough that I grew up back when personal privacy was sacrosanct and I'd like to maintain some.

Having a baby was bad enough, with 16 doctors and nurses in the delivery room.... :LOL:

Last edited:
I installed win 10 yesterday and it might have goofed up in install. I can't get settings to open, it just kind of flashes. Anyone know or can look up the address on the C drive where settings is ,so I can get to update and recovery, maybe I can open it there and uninstall and reinstall.

Please be careful... and know that going back means going back to the previous bare bones program, and you lose all of your files. The warning is there. I made the mistake of not reading it... thinking restore was the same as system restore where you just go back to a previous stable operation and keep all files. It's where I made my first mistake, which eventually screwed up the trip back to Windows 10 and bricked my computer.

If I'm wrong on this, someone correct me. My "upgrade"day was a disaster, and I was one of the .001percent who lost everything. It did get confusing.

Some good suggestions here:http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/a-tale-of-woe-78370.html

You press the WIN+R key combo, open the run dialog, then type

ms-settings:system

But this maybe one of the first bug fixes. Here's link to the MS fix page

Settings doesn’t launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community

The 1st link on that page fixed my not being able to get to settings. Thanks so much!!

Yeah why would you pay that much for a router, that requires signing in with a Google account.

I have not installed WIN 10 on my laptop, however, it's there and now each time I start up, a rectangular reminder balloon pops up just above my system tray right side reminding me that I can upgrade and it's ready.

How do you get that reminder to stop appearing? I suppose I can uninstall the update that gave me the WIN 10 files, but I'd rather just get rid of that reminder for now.

Thanks, but I really don't want to remove the entire update that was sent down (the 5 GB folder) as I may want to install Win 10 later. The pop up is annoying and that is what I want to stop showing up each time I start the laptop. I would think there is a way to do that, even if it is a registry edit, but I have not been able to find that solution.:facepalm:

Thanks, but I really don't want to remove the entire update that was sent down (the 5 GB folder) as I may want to install Win 10 later. The pop up is annoying and that is what I want to stop showing up each time I start the laptop. I would think there is a way to do that, even if it is a registry edit, but I have not been able to find that solution.:facepalm:

If have already reserved your windows 10, you can just download the media, burn to DVD, and install/upgrade when you choose.

You basically are looking to stop the GWX.exe process. There are several ways, this link show the registry edit, Disabling the Windows 10 Upgrade Notification | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

After more than 2 weeks (and 1 week for DW), still almost no problems with Windows 10 here. The only issue, the Mail simply won't open for me 90% of the time, it has worked a couple of times. I reinstalled Windows Essentials 2012, but that didn't help. I also ran a Windows PowerShell command prompt entry that was supposed to help, didn't work either.

I am sure it'll get fixed eventually...

Last edited:
Well it's been 3+weeks since I upgraded and very few problems. Most were configuration issues and a few took a while to get set like I wanted. Anyway, a few days ago, I had everything set and working just I wanted. I made sure I had all the latest updates/patches etc and then did a complete systems image backup to an external hard disk. Also make a DVD recovery disk so if things "crap out" (an advanced technical term) with my load in the future, then hopefully I can get back to where I am today. That along with incremental personal file backups and I hope I'll be in good shape for a full OS/load and file restore if ever needed. (It worked well for me with W7, which I had to reload a few times.)

Last edited:
AJ8888...The Win 10 icon kept bothering me also. I went to the bottom toolbar and opened the little triangle that says, "Show Hidden Icons". Opened it up and changed the GWX to "Hide Icons and Notifications". It has stopped bothering me so far.

AJ8888...The Win 10 icon kept bothering me also. I went to the bottom toolbar and opened the little triangle that says, "Show Hidden Icons". Opened it up and changed the GWX to "Hide Icons and Notifications". It has stopped bothering me so far.

Thanks!;)

Last week I started downloading some updates to Windows 8.1. After a few minutes I look up at the screen to check progress. It says: Your copy of Windows 10 is being downloaded. Please wait." I did not do anything to instruct that so I hit "Stop" then rebooted. A second try at the Windows 8.1 updates got me the same thing. I decided to just go with it to avoid a truncated or fragmented install and any problems that might have caused.

So far everythang is everthang. It seems to work OK. There is an issue with personalizing the size of specific fonts but I just chalk that up to "stupid effing Microsoft as usual" crap. It will likely get a patch sooner or later

Last week I started downloading some updates to Windows 8.1. After a few minutes I look up at the screen to check progress. It says: Your copy of Windows 10 is being downloaded. Please wait." I did not do anything to instruct that so I hit "Stop" then rebooted. A second try at the Windows 8.1 updates got me the same thing. I decided to just go with it to avoid a truncated or fragmented install and any problems that might have caused.

So far everythang is everthang. It seems to work OK. There is an issue with personalizing the size of specific fonts but I just chalk that up to "stupid effing Microsoft as usual" crap. It will likely get a patch sooner or later

That's what happened to me, too. I did not intend to upgrade till later on. But it loaded beyond my control. I felt hoodwinked. I messed with Win 10, and went back to Win 7.

Back
Top Bottom