Windows 10

Each time you try one of these grand installation experiments, be sure to acknowledge to yourself that you could lose it all.

+1

As eager as Microsoft is to push Windows 10, I still think they made a mistake in providing a free upgrade. Installing a new operating system was not a simple thing even back in the days of Windows 95. Now, operating systems are much more complex. If I was making decisions for Microsoft, I would have told them to just provide Windows 10 with new computers as before, and skip the free user upgrade entirely.

I lucked out, because I was ready to buy a new laptop anyway so I am getting one with Windows 10. I'll have both until I am sure the Windows 10 laptop is working and has everything on it.

Well, it's been over two weeks since I upgraded from W8.1 to 10. I've read some real horror stories that some folks have experienced but for me it's been pretty good. I've ran into a few problems that took some digging to figure out but that wasn't a surprise to me for a new OS. So far, I only had to pull down one new driver/patch from my PC manufacture to fix a problem. Everything else has just been a matter of setting the correct configuration parameters to get things working like I want. I have noticed there seems to be a lot more options available to configure the PC. I guess with added functionality you might expect added options.:) It takes a little poking around with some of the configuration options to get use to them and I have found many more of the options can be found (or accessed) via multiple paths. I think they could improve on how the options are arranged and/or are accessed. Some option menus are not as intuitive as they probably could be but they are still very useable.

I really liked XP and W7, but hated windows 8. So far, I like W10 the best.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 9+ on a combination of functionality, stability and easy of use.

Last edited:
Car-Guy, that is very encouraging! All the reports online about disasters while upgrading, are pretty intimidating so it's nice to hear about it when someone has a good Windows 10 transition.

+1

As eager as Microsoft is to push Windows 10, I still think they made a mistake in providing a free upgrade. Installing a new operating system was not a simple thing even back in the days of Windows 95. Now, operating systems are much more complex. If I was making decisions for Microsoft, I would have told them to just provide Windows 10 with new computers as before, and skip the free user upgrade entirely.

I lucked out, because I was ready to buy a new laptop anyway so I am getting one with Windows 10. I'll have both until I am sure the Windows 10 laptop is working and has everything on it.
M$ concern is the hordes who are leaving the fold. Trying to entice you in with this "deal." It's free. Take it, kid. No one will know.

If this thread is any indication, I think there will be class action in the future. The reward will be a free Windows phone for the winners.

I'm at a wait and see about Win 10. Sticking with Win 7 for the moment (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Reading about MS doing the lose privacy default thing (who do does MS think they are? Facebook? :LOL:) makes me considering going to Linux when Win 7 is no longer supported. But then, there are certain programs I've grown accustomed to in Win.

Well I spent most of the week trying to upgrade. I tried migrating my applications (I really didn't want to install my games and other apps again). So finally on my 4th shot I gave up migrating the applications and just did a data migration each one taking several hour, I got Windows 10.

Woot I thought:dance:. Only to discover that I can't connect to internet due to driver problem with my network adapter. :mad::mad:

So tomorrow I'm looking forward to a fun with tech support day.

I had this problem too. I still can't connect wifi but I am plugged directly into the router now and so into the Internet that way. I don't want to have to reconfigure and reload anything (I did try a couple of suggested solutions that led nowhere), so I am just going to make it my "landline desktop computer" for banking and bill paying and use another (new, non-Windows) computer for everything else, including wifi.

I hope your Internet connection gets solved!

Windows users have known for years that they should have multiple PCs, hoping to have a good working one to look for help or to make rescue disks. ...

I'm no fan of Windows, but that statement pretty much applies to any OS.

Imagine if we all need a backup for our car, AC, fridge, TV, phone, stove, etc... Redundancy, redundancy...

But there is a big difference. To fix a computer, you need a computer - that is your tool-set (unless you are dealing with very basic hardware problems). You don't need a car to fix a car (though you might need a tow truck, or a loaner), you need wrenches, and maybe a computer!

And people want to bring more computer gadgets into their life. :rolleyes: I already have way too many as it is, speaking as one who has worked with computers his entire career before the word PC was ever coined.

I'm all for it in many cases, but they must be robust, and the computer should make things simpler, not more complex. That's often not the case.

-ERD50

I had this problem too. I still can't connect wifi but I am plugged directly into the router now and so into the Internet that way. I don't want to have to reconfigure and reload anything (I did try a couple of suggested solutions that led nowhere), so I am just going to make it my "landline desktop computer" for banking and bill paying and use another (new, non-Windows) computer for everything else, including wifi.

I hope your Internet connection gets solved!

On my 5th attempt I finally got Windows 10 working. At least I have confidence that rolling back to Windows 7 works fine.

I tried several things, I have 3 Terrabyte of drives so it takes while to check and migrate everything over.

The ultimate solution wasn't hard. I simple went into the device manager uninstalled the the driver for the network adapter card and rebooted the computer. Win 10 found a driver loaded and it worked. But this was after googling and trying several other suggestions.

The good news is definitely like it better than Win 7, it seems to be faster and more intuitive. It is pain to have to reinstall games and some utility programs but ultimately I'm going to be happier with it.

I should also say least I scare off others.My computer is no name brand, which I've added stuff to over the years. Upgrading to 10 seem for the large majority of user a pretty simple upgrade, and overall Microsoft is to commended for the process. I am still amazed it is free. In truth I would have paid $50 to $100 for Windows 10.

Seems like every other Windows release is a hit, and the others a big miss. XP, 7 and 10 appear to be solid, worthwhile and robust upgrades. But Vista (between XP and 7) and 8 (obviously between 7 and 10) were massive clunkers for the most part.

Eventually MS got most of the Vista problems fixed (in the last service pack), but by that time, it was almost 7 anyway, and 7 was soon to be released so people waited. And as for 8, version 8.1 fixed some things even though MS punted on the return of the Start menu they originally promised. Basically, W7 turned out to be what Vista should have been, and 10 appears to be what 8 should have been.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of Windows, but that statement pretty much applies to any OS.

But there is a big difference. To fix a computer, you need a computer - that is your tool-set (unless you are dealing with very basic hardware problems). You don't need a car to fix a car (though you might need a tow truck, or a loaner), you need wrenches, and maybe a computer!

Not really. If what afflicts the computer is bad software or a virus, meaning its CPU and basic hardware are fine, one should be able to boot from a restore disk and fix the problem. In reality, we know it is not so simple. MS has made it so complicated that even they cannot figure out what is wrong sometimes, and the solution is to reinstall everything. Hah!

My wife's PC running Win 7 Professional got bitten by a virus. I exorcised it by a 3rd party software, but a peculiar problem remained. After a boot up, she could not log in to her user's profile. She had to log in as myself first then switched over to her profile, else she could not get in. I looked and Windows complained about some services not running (then tell me how to set them to run, damn it!). I used the "Event Viewer" to examine and noted a couple of diagnostic messages. OK, that should pinpoint it.

Went to the Web looking for a solution, found some info and followed it, but that did not work. Not even MS site could help fix the problem. I am not an early quitter, but had to give up after several days, and reinstalled everything. My wife said she did not mind the login workaround, but that bothered the hell out of me.

Same as many posters here, whenever I go to the Web looking for info I often see tens of thousand or more of people with the same problem. And quite often, we were all stuck without a solution.

I'm all for it in many cases, but they must be robust, and the computer should make things simpler, not more complex. That's often not the case.
That is my point. Computers and the Internet become such a ubiquitous part of our life. And more than useful, they should be a fun thing to pass the time with. But bad, bad programmers often spoil the mood.

And because the computer is so important in our life, yet can be so unreliable because of software, we often have a backup for it. My point earlier was that we did not need the same backup with other essential appliances.

At my 1st real technical job, I saw a sign posted in the lab. It said
"If carpenters built houses the same way programmers wrote software, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization" - Anon.

Last edited:
[...] because the computer is so important in our life, yet can be so unreliable because of software, we often have a backup for it.

I guess I missed that train! :D

I haven't had two computers for a long time. After I got my laptop and wireless network, it became just a place to store my backups and little else.

Seems like every other Windows release is a hit, and the others a big miss. XP, 7 and 10 appear to be solid, worthwhile and robust upgrades. But Vista (between XP and 7) and 8 (obviously between 7 and 10) were massive clunkers for the most part.

ME was another Windows that people hated. Actually, I remember all the moaning and groaning when XP first came out. People said it was AWFUL (until they got used to it, and now the same people don't want to let it go). I suppose they missed NT at the time, or maybe Windows 2000. I don't recall the order in which they were released.

It is very common for people to be resistant to change and I can't blame anyone for that. Still, I thank heavens that I am not, because I love exploring new Windows operating systems. I don't regard a Windows computer as an appliance like a toaster, solely to allow me to run other programs without having to think. To me Windows operating systems are a work of art in themselves and fascinating to explore.

Last edited:
I signed up at least 1 1/2 months before Win 10 release date. I still have not got notification it is ready. My wife signed up a day later and got her's the 2nd day. My son signed up a week later and got his the 4th day. I'm on Win 8.1. Anyone heard of any delays for 8.1? Funny I told 3 people to sign up and they got theres way before me.

To me Windows operating systems are a work of art in themselves and fascinating to explore.

On a bad day, this work of art looks like this to me. ;)

event-art.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I missed that train! :D

Seriously, what can be infuriating is that user's experience can vary greatly. A different set of hardware, a different app installed, and the results vary greatly.

Notice how this Win 10 upgrade went smoothly for some posters, while causing much grief for others. It's crap shoot, and I don't think it should be this way in the digital world. Some users did the same thing as others, got snake bit, and of course they have to ask themselves why.

Last edited:
Ah, and here's another thing that I am sure other posters have noticed too.

You set up your machine just right, and everything works smoothly. Then, a Windows popup says that you'd better install this critical update or you will get infected by some virus boogey. Of course you agree. Yes, thank you. Please do!

Then, your machine is hosed. And you spent mucho time to undo that update. Gah!

To be honest, this has not happened to me recently with Win 7. But I still have scars from the past mishaps. Of course I am holding a grudge, even though I have used MS software back from the days I have to run my PC from a single 360K floppy.

I signed up at least 1 1/2 months before Win 10 release date. I still have not got notification it is ready. My wife signed up a day later and got her's the 2nd day. My son signed up a week later and got his the 4th day. I'm on Win 8.1. Anyone heard of any delays for 8.1? Funny I told 3 people to sign up and they got theres way before me.

I received the update notice on my W8.1 laptop a couple weeks ago but haven't done the update yet. Check your C drive for a folder called '$Windows.~BT', it's a hidden folder so make sure 'hidden items' view box in file explorer is checked. That's where the Windows 10 update is loaded, it should be ~5G in size with the update.

My wife's PC running Win 7 Professional got bitten by a virus. I exorcised it by a 3rd party software, but a peculiar problem remained. After a boot up, she could not log in to her user's profile.

Virus and removal of the virus can corrupt the user profile. You need to delete the profiles from the registry, delete/rename the use folder. Then recreate the user again.

How to Remove a Corrupted User Profile from the Registry - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

None of mine have updated, but you don't have to wait for the online update. Get the windows 10 media creation tool, you can use it to create a dvd for installing W10

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

On a bad day, this work of art looks like this to me. ;)

event-art.jpg

Well we'll see! I may see things your way after battling with Windows 10.

Still, I am so totally thrilled to be getting it. My new computer didn't arrive yesterday after all, so I am expecting it today and running to the door every time I hear a car or truck pass by. :D

Virus and removal of the virus can corrupt the user profile. You need to delete the profiles from the registry, delete/rename the use folder. Then recreate the user again.

How to Remove a Corrupted User Profile from the Registry - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki
I do not recall if I try to create a new user profile to see if it works.

But when I was examining the event logger after boot to get the diagnostic messages, then use them to get directions from the Web to correct the problem, I was running in my profile with administrator privilege. I applied all the patches and registry and system edits as found from MS site. It did not work.

Well we'll see! I may see things your way after battling with Windows 10.

Still, I am so totally thrilled to be getting it. My new computer didn't arrive yesterday after all, so I am expecting it today and running to the door every time I hear a car or truck pass by. :D

Chances are that you will be fine. It's only cheapskates who try to use old hardware with the new software that get snake bit. It's an industry collusion to get us to spend money. ;)

Last edited:
If you don't want to create media you can go to Microsoft's windows 10 page and download direct to your hard drive and do the upgrade. That is how I did my 3 computers I didn't wait for Microsoft to tell me it was ready even though I had signed up.

Chances are that you will be fine. It's only cheapskates who try to use old hardware with the new software that get snake bit. It's an industry collusion to get us to spend money. ;)

Hey, laptops with Windows 10 pre-installed aren't cheap this soon after the OS release, especially if you want all the hardware bells and whistles that I [-]needed[/-] wanted. I spent twice the amount I had intended on spending.

I guess I was lucky because my present laptop is getting pretty beat up and needs to be replaced. So, I had to buy a laptop in any case. In fact, I probably would have replaced it in June had the Windows 10 release not been imminent.

Hey, laptops with Windows 10 pre-installed aren't cheap this soon after the OS release, especially if you want all the hardware bells and whistles that I [-]needed[/-] wanted. I spent twice the amount I had intended on spending.

I guess I was lucky because my present laptop is getting pretty beat up and needs to be replaced. So, I had to buy a laptop in any case. In fact, I probably would have replaced it in June had the Windows 10 release not been imminent.
After my two weeks or so with Win 10, I'd be willing to bet you're gonna really like your new rig, hardware and software. I don't discount the bad experiences some users have had, but there are mitigating circumstances some times (old hardware, specialty or highly customized applications/software, etc.) AND people with good experiences are FAR less likely to take the time to report. Unhappy customers are just way more motivated to speak out, understandably. Makes it very hard to keep feedback in proper perspective, people who cite 'all the horror stories' can lose perspective...

Back
Top Bottom