Join Early Retirement Today

Windows XP SP3, anyone?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Windows XP SP3, anyone?

I dredged these posts up from last December:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
BTW Reference Vista versus XP. I actually have no way to compare Vista to XP however it has been a week since I downloaded (344 MB) and installed Windows XP SP3 RC1 and I am happy to say it runs just like prior to SP3 RC1. I have XP Pro and I am also running Firefox, Thunderbird, Office 2002 Pro, and the usual FREE Anti-whatever (Avast, Spyware Blaster, SpyBot S&D and Adaware). BTW I downloaded it from MajorGeeks.com. I did not intend to hi-jack the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
SP3 does allegedly contain some performance improvements, and actually darn good ones. Supposed to make XP up to 30% faster than vista in some benchmarks.
For whatever reason, my Windows Update utility finally got around to nagging me about installing SP3.

I'm a good little computer geek, and I know all about downloads & installs & backups and all the "gotchas". If there was a major problem with SP3 then Kim Komando would probably have delivered a breathless update on it by now in my daily e-mails. However being good at computer geeking it is completely different from wanting to do it, and I prefer to do as little of this as possible with as little disruption as possible. And when I do it, I'm gonna have to do it to a Compaq Presario desktop and two Dell Inspiron laptops.

So... anyone notice any problems surfacing with SP3?

How long did the patch take from the moment you clicked the "Install" button? I ask this because my hard drive started thrashing enthusiastically to establish driver lists and Restore points and other "ruh-roh" precautions that didn't exactly instill me with confidence in the confidence of the SP3 programming team.

As a sidebar, I'm going to install Firefox 3 on one of the laptops and start playing with it. (Spouse has finally retired from the Navy Reserve and its Borg Collective mandatory OS/software standards, so now I have the incentive to play around a little.) I'll probably get around to FF3 after installing the SP3 patch. If I'm happy with FF3 (and by "happy" I mean "spouse & kid can adapt to it without a lot of my tech support") then I'll do it to the rest of our machines. Any speed bumps on FF3 that I should be watching for, particularly with SP3?

I've turned the Mac Mini over to our kid, who just smirks at me when I ask these questions...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never heard of SP3. The Evil Empire has this on their IT Professionals webpage.
Quote:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is now available for download and install via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center. Windows XP SP3 includes all previously released updates for the operating system, in addition to a small number of new updates. Windows XP SP3 will not significantly change the Windows XP experience.

Installation media and documentation on disc for Windows XP SP3 may sometimes refer to Windows XP SP2. Windows XP SP2 installation guide instructions apply to Windows XP SP3.
My question is, if I have SP2 and have installed all the updates, is there anything in SP3 that I need?

As for FF3, somebody downloaded it on the family laptop a while back and we've had no problems. The Princess and youngest son, neither of whom are computer geeks by any stretch, have had no problems with it. I'm happy with the older version and have been hitting the "install later" button because I don't want to fool with it just now.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #3

Can't comment on SP3 as our new computer has Vista -- which is ok, but not great*. As for FF3, we downloaded it as we were setting up the new desktop and it's been terrific. No problems at all.

*I predict a class action suit in the offing actually. Vista has a predilection to really screwing up the wireless connection to the network whenever you send the computer to sleep mode. Spent hours and hours trying to correct the problem to no avail. Googled the problem and found nearly 2.6 million posts!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've updated both our desktop and laptop computers with XP SP3 and haven't had any issues. As I recall, it took a couple of hours to download, create the restore point and install, and everything went perfectly smooth. The laptop is seven years old and a bit sluggish by today's standards, and I did notice some modest improvements in its responsiveness.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
My question is, if I have SP2 and have installed all the updates, is there anything in SP3 that I need?
Windows XP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much covers the new goodies. A few things brought over from vista.

~10% or more performance improvement in some applications.

I put it on our XP desktop a couple of days ago. No immediate ill effects. But I didnt do much with it afterwards.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

I can't offer anything about SP3, as I'm running SP2 and will continue since everything is running smoothly And I don't want to goof that up.

As for FF3, I love it! It operates about the same as IE, so the learning curve is very gentle! I've been using FF for several years and have been thoroughly pleased with it. I just upgraded to FF3 last week from FF2, and except for slightly slicker looking graphics, it works just the same as the previous version. It should be a fairly easy transition from IE to FF3 for everyone.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I installed FF3, and a bit later XP3; haven't noticed any but very minor weirdnesses.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #8

I tried to connect to the Citrix server at work but no dice. I have emailed our tech support to determine whether SP3 is the problem. I installed it a couple of days ago.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My computer started to bug me about downloading SP3 last week. I finally downloaded it on Saturday and so far no problems to report, I can't see any difference at all from prior to the update. It took quite a while to download and install, don't remember exactly how long...
Old 09-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Problem here

After downloading and installing SP3, my Linksys wireless card started causing XP to crash and blue screen. I tried reinstalling the Linksys drivers and looking for Linksys updates - no luck.

I took the less painful route of connecting via ethernet cable (same room as router).

Anyway, thanks to SP3, my wireless adapter is sitting in a drawer gathering dust! BTW... no more crashes!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

google 'linksys xp sp3'. Seems there are several threads discussing possible solutions, depending on what kind of linksys card you have.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not remember how long it takes, but I have installed SP3 on several computers at home and at work without any problems.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The service pack 3 installation on my laptop took about 45 minutes. I do not know the download time since it downloads in the background.

I have it installed since 2 weeks and did not encounter any issues. Wireless connection is as good as before. I did not notice any improvements either.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Well, if there was a strong vein of discontent then I'd have tapped into it by now. Earlier updates have never shown this level of concern and foresight about backups & drivers, and I was sure that could only be a bad thing.

I guess I'll install it this week when I have a couple spare hours-- ha!

I should mention that I'll be going to Firefox 3 from IE 6...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I should mention that I'll be going to Firefox 3 from IE 6...
Man, you're really looking for some abuse aren't you? That's like saying "I'm finally trading in my old '85 Yugo for a Lexus".
Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #16

XP with SP3 I have not seen any problems although since I installed it (along with FF2 then 3 and Thunderbird (email)) I have moved to Vista SP1. I gave the old XP computer to my Grandson and he has been using if without any problems for about 4 months now.

As I remember it the XP SP3 took about 30 minutes to install. (as does SP1 on VISTA).

If you have multiple computers with XP or VISTA you want to look into using a FF addon called "FOXMARKS". This little addon will allow you to sync your book marks between multiple computers. If you use Thunderbird for email it will offer to bring in your email address books also - which is a nice touch.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
XP with SP3 I have not seen any problems although since I installed it (along with FF2 then 3 and Thunderbird (email)) I have moved to Vista SP1. I gave the old XP computer to my Grandson and he has been using if without any problems for about 4 months now.

As I remember it the XP SP3 took about 30 minutes to install. (as does SP1 on VISTA).

If you have multiple computers with XP or VISTA you want to look into using a FF addon called "FOXMARKS". This little addon will allow you to sync your book marks between multiple computers. If you use Thunderbird for email it will offer to bring in your email address books also - which is a nice touch.
Foxmarks is a dandy little tool.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So... anyone notice any problems surfacing with SP3?
The only problem I had with SP3 was with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I believe there is an update to the Reader as part of SP3 that conflicted with the version I had installed prior to SP3. The result was a web page requiring Acrobat Reader said that the version was not the latest...and click here to install the latest. I did that several times (trying rebooting, etc.) without any success, just ...click here to install the latest.
I tried uninstalling Acrobat and installing the latest. Same deal.
Finally, I found a blog about this issue, and downloaded an .EXE, ran it with some parameter "/Clean" or something that removed Acrobat completely. The next install worked and I have not had any problems since.
If anyone else has this problem, I could find the link without much problem.

..Bob
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not had any problems with FF3 on any computers.

I have SP3 at home but did not install it, the automated updates must have done it.

I had the pleasure of watching it install itself on a computer with 128MB memory this past week.

That computer was down almost the entire day.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, XP wont run very well in 128MB. Ram is so dang cheap these days.

Do note that SP3 requires a new validation agent to be installed, and none of my XP machines did that on their own. I had to open IE and run windows update, agree to the new validation agent, then SP3 self installed.