Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You know, I got to thinking of some of the old stories of the baby wolfdog my mother had, and she does have a story or two of the dog going after someone who the dog felt was threatening. Amazingly, the dog was totally faithful and true to my mother, tho, till he died. My mother has told me the dog was so big she could actually sit on his back and ride him a little. Puppy was one big dog.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 20 years ago a pair of wolf hybrids chased a co-worker of mine across the parking lot at our workplace. He just made it to the door in time to escape injury. Our rural county had no animal control agency. The sheriff's office said they could not send an officer and said the county laws allowed citizens to "eliminate" animals that threatened people or livestock.

The facility is in an isolated area and two other workers came armed to the teeth. Good thing they did because the dogs attacked them too. A couple of close-quarters shotgun blasts ended the threat.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Dog photo threat!! Edit: I meant "dog photo thread!!" Wish I had a photo of the giant bear-size dog we see around the neighborhood. He has very long fur and his people take him to the groomers often.
My guess, based on your description, is a Newfoundland. Does he look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newfoundland.jpg (28.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
When I was growing up, a friend of mine had 2 Newfies...Bozo and Bonzo. They were such nice dogs, so friendly, and tolerant of kids. We always enjoyed when they'd get loose and wander down to our neighborhood, because we got to play with them as we took them back to their home about 4 blocks away.

I'm just glad I didn't have to groom them!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
S/he's brown and maybe fluffier, of course I usually see him or her out just after grooming. Anyway, s/he's quite the sensation among the after work crowd. SO is better at IDing dogs, I'll ask.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #26

I agree about the wolf-dog hybrids. I went to (of all things) a baby shower at a woman's house who had 3 of them. As a "dog person" I went to check them out in the garage where she had them crated for the duration of our visit and it was spooky to say the least. She let one out on on a leash for us to see and approach.

I managed to summon enough tact NOT to ask what the heck she thought she was doing to keep these animals as pets. Geesh--and she had to have a wildlife permit to have them, but she was in a regular neighborhood with lots of kids--a nightmare waiting to happen.

Aggressive dogs need to be euthanized. Very seldom is it possible to rehome one to a place with no chance of there being the trigger for aggression, be it other dogs, small animals, or strangers. Better to have a good end than a tragic one.

I just counseled a friend in Florida who had to put down a pit bull mix after 9 months of work with professional trainers. Very sad for everyone but still the best option.

Al, I'd be very wary of those dogs in multiples like that--one would probably not attack, but your chances go way up when a pack mentality takes over.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years ago we had a Newfee, "Bear", that was reputed to have Cascade Wolf blood two generations back. The temperament of a Newfoundland and the smarts of a wolf. A nice, easy going kid wise dog who strangers didn't consider messing with. The family cat had him buffaloed, except when he rescued a squirrel she caught and brought home for care. Food wise... he had a passion for peanut butter, once caught his snout in the jar.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I just spoke with the owner, and according to her, they are not first generation wolf dogs. They are mostly Malamute.

Malmute:

She was apologetic, and said that she's reinforced the kennel, and doesn't expect them to get out again.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #29

Wow, is that one of the dogs, TromboneAl? Gor-geeeeous!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I just spoke with the owner, and according to her, they are not first generation wolf dogs. They are mostly Malamute.

She was apologetic, and said that she's reinforced the kennel, and doesn't expect them to get out again.

Good news on both the breed and the owner seeming to be cooperative and responsible. Always better to have one less concern than one more!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #31

Cuppa, Newfs also come in brown, grey and black-and-white. (I've wanted one for so long, can't even tell you. I don't care that they're too big for my minivan, drool buckets daily and shed so much that some owners spin their shed fur and make sweaters...)

T-Al, I'm glad they're not first-generation hybrids, but anything wolf-y would make me twitchy, especially since they've gotten out a lot and their owner (though apologetic) hasn't yet proven that she can keep them on her property.

But raccoons make me twitchy, too, so YMMV.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Wow, is that one of the dogs, TromboneAl? Gor-geeeeous!!!
No, that's just an Internet photo of a malamute. Sorry for the confusion.